Solved: GPS mount bug

@viofo I think I have a GPS mount power issue as well. Recently screen flickers and unit restarting itself randomly. When it is plugged into to the dashcam USB port directly, seems to be stable.
I'm having this exact same issue. I bought mine in January 2017 from Adorama for my wife's car. She kept trying to explain some strange noise that kept happening randomly while she was driving, but it never clicked until I drove her car the other day. The noise was the startup chime from the A119 continually restarting while powered through the GPS mount. I moved the cable to the dashcam directly and it is no longer flickering and restarting.
So, @viofo , should I try to exchange this unit with Adorama or work with you directly? Is there a way to ensure that Adorama's current stock doesn't have the same ribbon cable issue?

The GPS & pass through power connection system has been redesigned to increase stability of future A119/A119S products. The updated retooled models should be available sometime in April.

Anyone that bought original A119/A119S cameras from OCD Tronic, and continues to have GPS problems can contact me for warranty service as necessary.

The work around is to plug the power cord into the side of the camera, by passing the GPS base plug. GPS will continue to function and the camera should remain stable.

So, @viofo , should I try to exchange this unit with Adorama or work with you directly? Is there a way to ensure that Adorama's current stock doesn't have the same ribbon cable issue?

Adorama are obliged to sort things out for you, should be far quicker than trying to do it from China also

Never heard of adorama and had to google it to find it behaves like paypal.

Adorama has been around for years, with a physical store in NYC. Over the last few years, I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of products from their website. They're a very reputable company, I'm just worried that their stock of A119 dashcams all might have the ribbon cable issue...
I'll start an exchange with them and see what I get. Thanks @jokiin !

Ask them to start an open thread here on DCT.
My Viofo119 is a pretty good cam & they are improving it with time. One thing I have just found that contradicts my manual is that
for neatness of installation, you can connect power to the GPS module as instructed in the manual.. This results in chimes occuring frequently. I reconnected the power direct to the cam & that seems to have fixed it. I'm using firmware V 2.0.2.

My Viofo119 is a pretty good cam & they are improving it with time. One thing I have just found that contradicts my manual is that
for neatness of installation, you can connect power to the GPS module as instructed in the manual.. This results in chimes occuring frequently. I reconnected the power direct to the cam & that seems to have fixed it. I'm using firmware V 2.0.2.

I would continue powering your A119 by plugging the mini USB power cable directly into the camera as you area now. (bypassing first generation GPS mount) This seems to be a very stable setup for everyone so far.

FYI: A new re-tooled second generation GPS mount is in development to enhance the connection stability in the near future. I've learned the redesigned contact connection system on the back of all future productions of A119/A119S cameras won't be compatible with the original V1 GPS mount.
This means the reverse is true, so existing dashcams won't be compatible with the new re-tooled V2 GPS mount.

I would continue powering your A119 by plugging the mini USB power cable directly into the camera as you area now. (bypassing first generation GPS mount) This seems to be a very stable setup for everyone so far.

FYI: A new re-tooled second generation GPS mount is in development to enhance the connection stability in the near future. I've learned the redesigned contact connection system on the back of all future productions of A119/A119S cameras won't be compatible with the original V1 GPS mount.
This means the reverse is true, so existing dashcams won't be compatible with the new re-tooled V2 GPS mount.
If the existing dash cams with GPS module was sent back to Sellers under the one year warranty do you think a replacement with the new production would be sent back to the Buyer? Do the Buyers have to give it more time to be guaranteed the new production product will be sent back as a replacement. Give enough time for the old batch to be exhausted.

If the existing dash cams with GPS module was sent back to Sellers under the one year warranty do you think a replacement with the new production would be sent back to the Buyer? Do the Buyers have to give it more time to be guaranteed the new production product will be sent back as a replacement. Give enough time for the old batch to be exhausted.

Both the camera and GPS mount would need to be swapped out since the new GPS module won't be compatible with old original A119/A119S cameras.

I'm willing to help existing OCD Tronic customers on a case by case basis that require a replacement. The problem doesn't happen to everyone, but enough to be a problem for sure.

I might have to just eat the upgrade swap cost as a cost of doing business (OCD Tronic Customer Service style). I'm sure I can sell the returned cameras as seller refurbished items on ebay to break even or recoup some of the cost. I would of course remove the GPS mount and give details on what's for sale exactly.

Adorama are obliged to sort things out for you, should be far quicker than trying to do it from China also
I wish it were that easy...

@viofo I just got off of the phone with Adorama's customer service and they informed me that I'm past their 30 day return period, so I have to pursue this as a warranty claim with you. I'll send you an email at the support@viofo.com address

Some sellers will handle warranty support better than others that's for sure.

@viofo I just got off of the phone with Adorama's customer service and they informed me that I'm past their 30 day return period, so I have to pursue this as a warranty claim with you. I'll send you an email at the support@viofo.com address

well there's a valid reason not to buy from them ever again, they acted as the importer buying directly from China yet push you back to China for warranty once you're past 30 days, very poor effort

I am sorry you were inconvenienced, however, when you purchased the unit, it did state on the product page: VIOFO Warranty not Adorama warranty

Excuse me???
Serving customers for more than 35 years, Adorama has grown from its flagship NYC store to include the leading online destination for photography, imaging and consumer electronics. Adorama's vast product offerings encompass home entertainment, mobile computing, and professional video and audio, while its services include an in-house photo lab, AdoramaPix, pro equipment rental at Adorama Rental Company and the award-winning Adorama Learning Center, which offers free education for photographers in video channels such as the popular AdoramaTV.

Adorama is listed as one of the top five electronics retailers by Consumer Reports, “Best of the Web” by Forbes.com, Internet Retailers Top 100, and is the official Electronics Retailer of the NY Giants.

Powering the camera directly, rather than through the GPS, solved the problem for me.

I had to mount it differently to fit the cable on the side, and SpyTec sent me a replacement 3M pad so I could move the camera. I'm happy with their support!

Back