[SOLVED] GPS pulling time from thin air when no GPS signal? (Not an A129 issue!)

Prelude89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Hi All,

I have come across an annoying issue, once again, thanks to Registrator Viewer.

I was reviewing the latest round of videos, and clicked on a trip taken this morning. Instead of starting me at home, it started me in the underground at the local shopping centre.

At first, I thought the time zone setting in Registrator Viewer might have changed somehow, but upon further checking, I discovered the correct time was being imprinted on the video, but the data stored from the GPS was wrong.

Given there was likely no actual GPS data being received, it appears as though time figures were being made up! The GPS data is showing 2:14 am, while the video is showing the correct time of 11:34 am. We are GMT+10 here.

Anyone else had this annoyance?

it's not a supported model in Registrator Viewer so there will be issues due to the program not being configured to suit your particular camera

You don't need a GPS lock to receive the time, just 1 data packet from 1 satellite will do.

Maybe you should check using the recommended GPS viewer in case it is a viewer issue...

After further investigations, it seems like it might actually be Registrator Viewer that's pulling the thin air trick ...

I'm not sure why it wouldn't use the file creation time if there is no GPS data to read time data from. Even if I remove the GPX files with no data, it still has an issue. If I remove ALL the GPX files, it groups correctly.

Back