(SOLVED) Trying to access SD card through USB connection in WIndows

ooofest

Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue SOLVED: use of the shorter USB cable shipped with the A119S allowed it to be recognized as Mass Storage by Windows.

Hi Folks,
My two SpyTec-branded A119S models came in this past weekend and I had time to try one of them out last evening. Although I'm still experimenting with windshield placement (using temporary, double-sided tape) and settings, one thing I noticed was that the unit does not appear as a device of any sort when plugging into a USB 2.0 port on our Windows-based computers.

I've tried on two PCs and one laptop, across Windows 7 and 10, with the supplied USB cable and my own . . . but, the device does not appear in any system as an external device or mass storage. So, I would need to remove the micro SD card in order to view the videos on a computer display, which is a bit inconvenient. These same computers recognize other devices and their SD card contents via the same cable(s) and ports, such as my old Cowon audio players, mobile phones, etc.

I have not yet found a digital copy of the A119S manual, but In looking at SpyTec's A119 digital manual, it mentions that plugging the unit into a PC or Mac should place it into "Mass Storage" mode for direct access to the SD card contents.

Is the A119S supposed to be supported for connection to a PC or Mac on the 1.01 firmware? When plugging it into the computer's USB port, it actually powers ON and goes into Recording mode, as if connected in the car.

Thanks.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge it does not support a PC connection so you will need to use a card reader.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

To the best of my knowledge it does not support a PC connection so you will need to use a card reader.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Why not ? I connect A119s directly to USB2 on my computer using provided short USB cable.
Device moving to "Mass Storage" mode and new letter device appear on PC with information SD card.

Why not ? I connect A119s directly to USB2 on my computer using provided short USB cable.
Device moving to "Mass Storage" mode and new letter device appear on PC with information SD card.

Thank you - this makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my particular unit.

Hm.

You mentioned that you both items are made by "SpyTec-branded", mine is Viofo. When device is started VIOFO logo appear on screen.

Have you tried the short USB cable that came with the A119S? It should go into Mass Storage Mode.

Have you tried the short USB cable that came with the A119S? It should go into Mass Storage Mode.

Success!

I would not have realized that the two mini USB cables were wired differently, so thanks for your advice.

Now, I am wondering what is different between the two cable, so that I can purchase a backup for the shorter one, in case something happens to it in the future.

Success!

I would not have realized that the two mini USB cables were wired differently, so thanks for your advice.

Now, I am wondering what is different between the two cable, so that I can purchase a backup for the shorter one, in case something happens to it in the future.
The short one will carry data. Long one is just power I believe.

Success!
I knew... I knew.... I wrote you ..... :)
BUT you are right, customer should not guessing, it should be clear written in manual.

I can purchase a backup for the shorter one, in case something happens to it in the future.
Please share if you will find good short cable or Viofo will sell it. Most cables on ebay not good for data transfer or work very unstable.
I need at least one more (better two) to set the camera on motorcycle.

You mentioned that you both items are made by "SpyTec-branded", mine is Viofo. When device is started VIOFO logo appear on screen.

There is only one VIOFO factory, some sellers change the "brand" on Amazon listings for various marketing purposes.

Our A119 / A119S listings are all branded as VIOFO

By the way, some USB ports are under-powered and won't power the camera properly.

I found that the USB/Mini cable data cable that came with my Mobius camera also works fine with the A119S, the 5m are only power supply cables.
I also wanted a cable to use with my Samsung S3 - Mini to Micro data connectors - I found the 1M 'LINDY USB 2.0 Cable MICRO-B/MINI-B' lead enabled me to see the recorded video directly from the camera on my phone, the Lindy part number was 31718 (UK Purchase).

Just to followup on the type of cable being important for access to the Viofo device from your computer, I ordered some Monster brand USB 2.0 cables advertised specifically for data transfers ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/B001AE7LWU ) and the A119S flips into Mass Storage mode when connected via them to the PC.

Thank you for info. I probably need shorter cable, maximum 6 inch with power only, data is not necessary.

Will the Monster brand USB 2.0 cable for data transfer from Amazon as mentioned above work with Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit? The cable will be a back up for the short data cable supplied with the A119s.
Thanks,Mike

Last edited:
I recommend "AmazonBasics" brand mini USB cables. Monster should be ok too.

Last edited:
Thanks, please send me a link to those cables on amazon-I can't find them!

Will the Monster brand USB 2.0 cable for data transfer from Amazon as mentioned above work with Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit? The cable will be a back up for the short data cable supplied with the A119s.

It should - I have Windows 10 Professional (moved from 7 Professional) and cables have worked equally across both versions of the OS.

I am guessing OCD Tronic was referencing the "Amazon Basic" brand cables, which should also be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00NH11N5A

Thank you very much.Can you tell me if there is a cable that I can buy that will connect the a/v port on the A119s(it must be partitioned the proper way to work with the A119s) and the USB 2 on my pc?The proper partioning is on a thread here that is about the A119.I know that I can use an adapter with my sd card to see the video-but I'd rather not mess with the card too much.
Does the A119s still record after the screen saver times out ? Mine goes blank but comes back with the red dot blinking if I push the menu button.

The partition for the plug, is on page2,under A119,under VIDEO CABLE

Last edited:
Thank you very much.Can you tell me if there is a cable that I can buy that will connect the a/v port on the A119s(it must be partitioned the proper way to work with the A119s) and the USB 2 on my pc?The proper partioning is on a thread here that is about the A119.I know that I can use an adapter with my sd card to see the video-but I'd rather not mess with the card too much. The partition for the plug, is on page2,under A119,under VIDEO CABLE

Here is the Analog out video cable:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/av-hook-up-to-car-stereo.18273/#post-236845

Does the A119s still record after the screen saver times out ? Mine goes blank but comes back with the red dot blinking if I push the menu button.

yes, sounds normal

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B A119S 4
cra3y A119S 17
Back