Solved - What to Do When the A119 Battery Finally Dies?

Simplicity, price, they only require the camera to out last the warranty period.

A workaround to the case of a dead battery and empty volatile memory would be to include a fail-safe mode in the camera firmware to load the desired configuration settings from a file on the memory card instead of simply assuming hard-coded defaults. And the proper time could be obtained from the gps receiver. In the worst case scenario of not having a gps receiver or not yet having acquired a gps signal, the dashcam could read the most recently dated filename of video recording on the memory card and increment by recording file interval time so as not to overwrite existing saved files on the memory card. Though the time would not be correct, at least the dashcam would continue to function.

But as someone already mentioned, Viofo will instead want to sell you a new dashcam when that time comes. So why bother programming now for the inevitable case of a dead battery later...

...the dashcam could read the most recently dated filename of video recording on the memory card and increment by recording file interval time so as not to overwrite existing saved files on the memory card. Though the time would not be correct, at least the dashcam would continue to function.

Of all the non-hardware cam failures I've experienced, this one has been the most common. I do wish all the cam manufacturers would implement a scheme like this since in every lost-time case I've experienced, the cam seemed to be recording properly when it wasn't recording anything at all :eek::mad::unsure:

Phil

It's called, "Planned obsolescence".

Can the battery be replaced by using a conventional OTC soldering techniques? (I have a 6-year-old electric shaver that has a non-replaceable battery i.e., Batteries Plus took a look at it and told me that the battery could not be replaced.)

Lithium batteries need to be spot welded unless you can get one with tabs already spot welded to it, you should not solder directly to the battery as it is unlikely to survive.

If you don't have a spot welder, you could try:

You don't need the exact same battery. You don't need to spot weld. You just need a battery with the same voltage and capacity (or higher capacity) as the one you are replacing, of any size or shape that can be fit into the housing, either in the original position or elsewhere. Just search "lithium rtc battery with leads" on google. You will need a soldering iron and solder, some hot glue would probably be useful to secure the battery in an alternate location, and of course a few basic tools. Be certain to get the polarity correct.

some hot glue would probably be useful to secure the battery
Would need to be high temperature hot glue in a dashcam!

Fine, then use bondic, epoxy, or masticated chewing gum for all I care. Just don't reward Viofo with another sale for saddling you with this problem in the first place.

Back