[Solved] Yet another parking mode help thread

Troot

Reaction score
Country
United States
UPDATE:
I figured out the issue. I replaced the whole kit via Amazon so I had two of everything to test, and it turns out the 3-wire hardwire kit I received was faulty. Tested the new one with the same wiring setup and it immediately started working as intended.

----------------
Okay, so I've upgraded to the A129 and I'm having trouble with the parking mode. I feel like I've covered all my bases but it's still not working as I understand it should.

I have the 3 wire kit that comes in this kit I got off of Amazon. This is the official 3 wire kit as I understand it. But the camera doesn't automatically engage parking mode when the car is shut off. I am expecting the behavior shown in this video but this is not happening for me. It does seem to engage parking mode after a few minutes of not moving, but I believe this is the behavior of the 2 wire kit as per this article.

- The red wire labelled "Battery" is connected to a fuse with constant power. I have verified this with the circuit tester included in the kit I bought and a multimeter
- The yellow wire labelled "ACC" is connected to a fuse that only gets power when the key is turned or the engine is running. I have also verified this with the tester and multimeter. (I also know the crimp is good because I pierced the wire after the crimp to probe it with the tester and it does indeed have power only when the ignition is on. I used a butt connector.)
- The camera is powered directly. It is not plugged into the GPS mount.
- The firmware is the latest V1.5 . It came with this firmware installed but I also reinstalled it to be sure.
- I am using the 3 FPS parking mode. It only records in 3 FPS after a few minutes of inactivity, not immediately when the car is shut off like it should.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It seems that yellow cable ACC is connected to the wrong fuse or circuit. Because of this the hardwire kit doesnt know when you turn off the engine.

And the camera is going to parking mode because inactivity...

I hear you, but as I said I tested the wire and it's getting power when ACC is on and none when ACC is off.

This is the same fuse that I used in my previous install and the previous camera (A119S) shut off as expected. It's the cigarette lighter fuse which is only powered when ACC is on in my 2007 Corolla. I also tried the windshield sprayer fuse (which also only has power on ACC) and the same result.

All I can think is that either my connection is bad or the hardwire kit is bad but both of these seem unlikely.

Did you check your battery voltage with the ignition off? Is it above the threshold for the setting on your 3 wire kit?

Did you check your battery voltage with the ignition off? Is it above the threshold for the setting on your 3 wire kit?
Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter to check with, I need to get one. But if the voltage was not above the threshold wouldn't the camera shut off entirely or does this somehow relate to parking mode? I have it set to 12.4V, the max, to reduce the likelihood of too much battery drain.

Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter to check with, I need to get one. But if the voltage was not above the threshold wouldn't the camera shut off entirely or does this somehow relate to parking mode? I have it set to 12.4V, the max, to reduce the likelihood of too much battery drain.
The easiest way to check would be to set the switch to the lowest voltage setting and see if that does the trick. It’s possible your battery just isn’t giving 14.4 volts with the engine/ignition off. Some fuses also don’t supply 12+V in the first place.

If turning the switch down to 11.8V doesn’t work, I recommend getting/borrowing a simple multimeter to make sure your fuse is getting the required voltage in the first place. You might have to find another fuse, or maybe your battery needs replacement.

If your fuse is getting the proper voltage with the ignition off, you can work your way up toward the camera with troubleshooting. Hope this helps!

A few more thoughts: Make sure your accessory cable/fuse isn’t receiving constant power. In some cars it stays on for a while after turning off the car. Another simple check would be to try a different SD card, some of them don’t play nicely.

Did you default the cameras settings after you reinstalled the firmware? Do so if you did not.

What memory card are you using? Give it a fresh format inside the camera and try again.

Make sure your ground is connected to an unpainted surface that connects to the metal framing under the dash.

The easiest way to check would be to set the switch to the lowest voltage setting and see if that does the trick. It’s possible your battery just isn’t giving 14.4 volts with the engine/ignition off. Some fuses also don’t supply 12+V in the first place.

If turning the switch down to 11.8V doesn’t work, I recommend getting/borrowing a simple multimeter to make sure your fuse is getting the required voltage in the first place. You might have to find another fuse, or maybe your battery needs replacement.

If your fuse is getting the proper voltage with the ignition off, you can work your way up toward the camera with troubleshooting. Hope this helps!
A few more thoughts: Make sure your accessory cable/fuse isn’t receiving constant power. In some cars it stays on for a while after turning off the car. Another simple check would be to try a different SD card, some of them don’t play nicely.
Did you default the cameras settings after you reinstalled the firmware? Do so if you did not.

What memory card are you using? Give it a fresh format inside the camera and try again.

Make sure your ground is connected to an unpainted surface that connects to the metal framing under the dash.
I turned the voltage cutoff to minimum but still the same behavior. I only have an incandescent tester to test with at the moment (I ordered a multimeter) but the yellow ACC wire instantly shuts off when the ignition shuts off.
I have a Transcend and a Sandisk (both high endurance models) SD card, both 64 GB, and the same behavior with both. I've formatted both of em multiple times in the camera.
I did not default the settings after reinstalling firmware (It seems this is done on its own when you reinstall) but I will try that and see what happens.
I'm quite certain the ground is good; it's snugly connected under the same unpainted bolt I used for my last install.

I really appreciate the suggestions. Still somehow all signs point to the ACC wire not shutting off correctly so I will have to keep messing with that as well.

I have the same issue. Although I had the main power plugged into the GPS mount. I plugged main into USB and the rear, well, in the rear. So to dovetail into your questions, what lights on the cam itself supposed to be on in parking mode?

I appreciate the help and also thank the OP for the post.

I have the same issue. Although I had the main power plugged into the GPS mount. I plugged main into USB and the rear, well, in the rear. So to dovetail into your questions, what lights on the cam itself supposed to be on in parking mode?

I appreciate the help and also thank the OP for the post.
There will be a symbol just below the top left indicating it's in parking mode, I believe there is a "P" in it. It's supposed to switch automatically and instantly with the 3 wire kit. See the video I linked in the original post for reference. With beeping on it will also make a double beep when switched.

There will be a symbol just below the top left indicating it's in parking mode, I believe there is a "P" in it. It's supposed to switch automatically and instantly with the 3 wire kit. See the video I linked in the original post for reference. With beeping on it will also make a double beep when switched.

Cool, thank you. Your OP was a HUGE help in sorting out what was not corrected correctly. I have the senstivity set to medium for it to "actuate". How do you have your parking mode set up, or how are you attempting to have it set up? Will all activity that can happen while driving around to stores, post office, etc.. That is an awful lot of movement.

Cool, thank you. Your OP was a HUGE help in sorting out what was not corrected correctly. I have the senstivity set to medium for it to "actuate". How do you have your parking mode set up, or how are you attempting to have it set up? Will all activity that can happen while driving around to stores, post office, etc.. That is an awful lot of movement.
Still attempting to get it to auto switch to parking mode. It does switch after a few minutes but not instantly yet. I haven't decided on which parking mode to use. I've had it on motion detection but I may switch to 1-2fps timelapse, I'm going to test and use whichever results in less SD card writes given the amount of movement where I park.

Still attempting to get it to auto switch to parking mode. It does switch after a few minutes but not instantly yet. I haven't decided on which parking mode to use. I've had it on motion detection but I may switch to 1-2fps timelapse, I'm going to test and use whichever results in less SD card writes given the amount of movement where I park.

Id suggest trying the parking mode at 10fps, even if this is not what you intend to leave it on. I’ve found using motion detection to be ‘glitchy’ and not behave the way I’d expect. A tree blowing in the wind will trigger it even on a low setting.

Try a time lapse setting and I’m sure you will get the results you want, as you have said you are positive your wiring is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It seems as though the time lapse is the route that is recommended for the parking mode. Does 10 fps not eat a lot of space on the SD card?

Well I'm still beat. Set to 3fps timelapse, Confirmed 12.6V always on the red wire, 12.6V only when ignition is on for the yellow wire, still not auto engaging parking mode. At this point I'm wondering if it's possible the hardwire kit or the camera is not functioning correctly. For now I'll just let it switch over after the 5 minutes.

In reading through this, looks like you have most (if not all) the troubleshooting steps covered. I'm thinking that there maybe faulty hardware, possibly the 3 wire kit. You may need to contact the reseller for an exchange. The only other thing I can think of is to re-seat all cable connections.

Last edited:
An update for anyone who cares, I figured out the issue. I replaced the whole kit via Amazon so I had two of everything to test, and it turns out the 3-wire hardwire kit I received was faulty. Tested the new one with the same wiring setup and it immediately started working as intended.
This was driving me crazy. I shouldn't be surprised I would be the one to receive a faulty kit; I can't imagine very many of those fail.

Back