Some drivers don't get this move over for emergency vehicle thing

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
I move one lane over after seeing a tow truck with his amber lights .

The two in front of me move to the lane adjacent to the tow truck and two other drive right past him without slowing down.

Some drivers don't seem to get this new law in Ontario or seem to care.

A similar law has been in effect here for a little over a year. They were issuing warnings, but you'll get a ticket now. I've always tried to give them room, but frequently I see where they did not try to get further away from traffic when they easily could have :( No help for the stupid on either side of the matter :eek:

Phil

A similar law has been in effect here for a little over a year. They were issuing warnings, but you'll get a ticket now. I've always tried to give them room, but frequently I see where they did not try to get further away from traffic when they easily could have :( No help for the stupid on either side of the matter :eek:

Phil
Michigan has the same but, like many regulations, it's ambiguous in that it lacks specifics. The law says to move over or slow down but doesn't indicate how much to slow down so I doubt any tickets would ever be issued unless death or injury resulted as the driver could always claim the did slow down - even though it may have been by only 1 MPH.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDOT_Vehicle_Caution_Law_116834_7.pdf

Ontario has really vague laws and in my opinion the drivers handbook and regulation seem to contradict each other in a couple of cases. The handbook should mention how much to slow down and also if you are the lane next to adjacent lane of the vehicle to leave space and also slow down to permit vehicle to make a lane change. There has been a case where I was unable to make a lane change myself due to a number of factors (the rule is to make change if safe and it wasn't safe). In the video i shot, the drivers that made a lane change towards the towing vehicle are showing a complete disregard for the law. Those drivers should definitely be fined.

It varies pretty much by state, but I still try to move over, or at least slow down when I see an emergency vehicle on the shoulder.

The days of 'blowing smokies hat off' are long gone. :)

The bad thing is, if I move left in a truck, it's still likely a clueless driver will accelerate, and shoot to my right.....between me and whatever I'm trying to give some space to.

In Texas, the law says "slow down or move over". They recognize that sometimes you just can't move over, maybe because of major traffic, or the fact that it's only a 2 lane road. So the situation you showed would have been 100% legal here since there was so much traffic everyone was already going slow anyway.

http://www.moveoverlaws.com/texas-move-over-law.htm

Back