Some techie questions from a trucker

DaveR1957

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm searching for a suitable dashcam to use in a semi truck. Road shocks are transmitted into the frame and cab with high intensity.
I currently have a Vava 009 and the G-shock sensor is entirely too sensitive even when set on "low" (HIGH G force activation).
A sharp bump in the road, my door closing, shallow potholes, bridge expansion joints, etc. all activate the "emergency" save function.
When that happens, I also found out the previous 12- 15 seconds preceding the G-shock were NOT saved. Rendering the saved video in an accident situation useless.
Rating a Vava 009 for a semi? F-
On to my questions:
1) Will the G-shock sensor, when set on low (HIGH g-force to enable save function i.e, a collision 3G +) filter out the annoying nonsensical "saved" events?
2)
(THIS IS KEY) If I use the "!" button (emergency event) will the A 119 V3 save the previous 12- 15 seconds BEFORE the witnessed event?
>> example: Sitting at an intersection and witnessing an accident occur. Will it save the car entering the frame, the moment of impact and the immediate aftermath when I press the "!" ?

I've watched many YT video reviews of this A 119 V3 and NONE of them addressed the G-sensor sensitivity ratings. In fact the majority of dashcam reviews do not address either of my questions.
Before I spend another $150 on a dashcam I need these questions answered.

The A 119 V3, at present, appears to be what I have been searching for.

Not driving a truck I cannot vouch for the operation of the G-Force sensor. With regards to pressing the ! button, this locks the "file being recorded". Now you can set the length of each file (I have mine set to 10 minutes) but you cannot determine when a new file has just started. If the new file has started less than 15 seconds before you press the button then the incident would be on the previous file and not the locked one. I use a 256Gb SD card which records a huge journey time but whether it will allow you to complete your journey, view the previous file and save that would depend on how much more driving you had to do.

The G-sensor in the A119 V3 is fairly tolerant of false triggering if set to its lowest setting. At least that's my experience driving a pick-up truck on the bumpy mountainous dirt road I live on. This may not be the case in the cab of a tractor trailer though. The last time I traveled in a semi I thought the filings in my teeth were going to fall out as the passenger seat had no shock absorption. :arghh:

You may not want or need the G-sensor option in the V3 and you can turn it off completely if desired in the event that the lowest sensitivity still gets triggered . This does not prevent you from manually locking a file when necessary.

Not driving a truck I cannot vouch for the operation of the G-Force sensor. With regards to pressing the ! button, this locks the "file being recorded". Now you can set the length of each file (I have mine set to 10 minutes) but you cannot determine when a new file has just started. If the new file has started less than 15 seconds before you press the button then the incident would be on the previous file and not the locked one. I use a 256Gb SD card which records a huge journey time but whether it will allow you to complete your journey, view the previous file and save that would depend on how much more driving you had to do.
Just wanted to say thank you. Your explaination covered both of my questions and also gave me some insight into the Vava 009 too. Thanks again!!

The G-sensor in the A119 V3 is fairly tolerant of false triggering if set to its lowest setting. At least that's my experience driving a pick-up truck on the bumpy mountainous dirt road I live on. This may not be the case in the cab of a tractor trailer though. The last time I traveled in a semi I thought the filings in my teeth were going to fall out as the passenger seat had no shock absorption. :arghh:

You may not want or need the G-sensor option in the V3 and you can turn it off completely if desired in the event that the lowest sensitivity still gets triggered . This does not prevent you from manually locking a file when necessary.
Thank you for the info. I have the A 119 V3 in my shopping cart on Amazon. Heading over there now to close the deal. Thanks again.

Thank you for the info. I have the A 119 V3 in my shopping cart on Amazon. Heading over there now to close the deal. Thanks again.

Check it out when it arrives and see if it meets your needs. With Amazon you can always return it. As the veteran of many dash cams I've been very impressed and pleased with my V3s and they have also proven quite reliable.

I dont want to use G - sensor for logging events while driving, not minor events or for that matter jackknifing metal crumbling events, even if modern dashcams are much better than handling this than in the old days.
I solely rely on a sufficient large memory card which if we talk a 256 GB card will host the better part of a whole day before it get around to recycling old footage to make room for new stuff.
I do however use the manual event button to lock all those little "funny" things in traffic i want to share.

In the states like over here in this little old country i assume turning off power in vehicles in a accident is one of the things you learn at least if you get to a place where such things are needed, one of my educations have given me the full suite of that from advanced first aid ( CPR ) to fire fighting and smoke diving.
I dont know about the big rigs, American or European of origin have it, but many new cars have a disable electrics feature that engage with airbags ASO, and i think only leave power for hazard lights.

I have instructed my 1 friend, and a few family members, that in case i get off bad, they should retrieve the memory card in all of the many dashcams in my car.
My little sister are my first of kind relation, so she will be the one that get the call cuz i have no family of my own.

I am also certified for driving the big rigs, but i have never made a use of that aside for renting a truck and driving it when my friend moved house with a lot of stuff.

Back