Something a little differnet

We changed our front window partly because of him. At the time, thirty year old home with the original widows with deteriorating wooden frames and sills. At 1 year of age, a fair size dog but lighter in weight than he is now, he would make the window move. Before then, a neighbour living behind us was a victim of theft where someone threw a brick at a window and just walked in so we choose to get shatter proof glass. Last month, a neighbour across the street is surprised our huge dog hasn't crashed thru the windows as he protests other dogs walking on the sidewalk in front of our home. I think the shatter proof feature was a good investment.

Was all handled very calmly wasn't it? :)

While most dogs can be trained, I'm not sure it's always necessary or desirable. Most of my family's dogs were small and we just let them be themselves. As long as they are kept controlled and they are friendly and no threat, there's no need to turn them into Stepford dogs.

Dad had a Doberman to guard his workshop though. That was a different matter. But even then, he was only loud and aggressive inside the workshop. (The dog, that is.)

I despise people with animals they can't control ..
Stupid animals owned by stupid humans ... ( Should be a law against it )
I see it all the time , some don't even have a clue how to walk a dog !
How do these stupid people function in society ?

Amazingly , these same people think they are smart enough to raise children .. ( If ever a license was needed )

I agree, to get a dog you should at least have to take some course, or be forced to attend puppy training and so on.

My friends current dog, just can not walk on a leash, its so bad even when he trained the dog one year old, 3 of the instructors there could not walk the dog on a leash.
But what it cant do on a leash it can sort of do off leash, just call it and it come to you at once, and then it just sit there as the horse ride by or other people with or without dogs walk by.
And then they have passed with like 50 M then you can set the dog free again and he will not chase them, the latter i can not say about the great dane dog i trained on a little.

I also thing some people should be "fixed" in regard to reproducing / being allowed to have kids.

One of my Jack Russells got so excited about walks that I couldn't put his lead on, he would bite the lead and not let go.

So I would put the handle in his mouth. Then clip the other end to his collar. And he would "walk himself" so to speak, dragging the loose part of the lead along the ground. He would stay right beside me exactly as if I was holding the lead.

I don't know if that counts as smart or stupid, but it sure was funny to watch.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

One of my Jack Russells got so excited about walks that I couldn't put his lead on, he would bite the lead and not let go.

So I would put the handle in his mouth. Then clip the other end to his collar. And he would "walk himself" so to speak, dragging the loose part of the lead along the ground. He would stay right beside me exactly as if I was holding the lead.

I've seen 2 or 3 dogs in my lifetime that would do the same thing. Like you I'm debating as to whether it's smart or stupid - but agree that it is funny.

The difference is he IS under control, the law says the dog must be under control, that does not mean it has to be on a lead, my mate walks up to 5-7 adult rotties no leads they don't even so much as sniff cats they walk right past, he has 2 cats also but trains these dogs for obedience for security firms, he doesn't have any problems, you are doing nothing wrong the dog behaves itself so it's ok imo

I had a Border Collie , best dog ever !
I could walk it without a lead , he would not chase cats or other dogs ..
If there were ever any question about what to do I would simply say No and that was the end of it ! ..

Almost every time I took him walkies I would get compliments on owning such a good dog !
But I took the time to train him .. Every single day I would go out and teach him how I wanted him to walk on and off the lead in the back yard .
After about 3 months I took him out onto the streets ..
Once he learned how to walk on the lead , I went to quiet places and removed the lead .. When I was 99% sure he was ok , I would remove the lead as soon as we were off the big road and onto the side streets .
By the time he was one year old , he was a good obedient dog . By the time he was about 3 years old I was 99.9% confident in the dog .

None of my dogs have been professionally trained, except of my monster Great dane/Rotti mix. He was and still is verily obedient. Our older golden retriever would observe him do tricks he learned and get treats, should would copy. Although larger than our other dogs, they have no fear of the great dane mix as he has a good temperament. He is protective of the home and car, doesn't like pedestrians getting too close but once he sees us or one of the other dogs accepts a visitor, he is ok. He used to be really good with other dogs. Small dogs would take a nip at him and he hardly took notice. Then a doberman at a dog park bit him hard enough for him to bleed and he hasn't been trusting of dogs close to his size that he does not know. I don't go to leash less dog parks anymore.

When I walk him, I usually shorten the leash and move to the side to let people pass. I have him under control.

But I don't mind that he has a protective instinct and he and the retriever will bark loudly if anyone gets too close. When my sister in laws place was broken in to, the police officer told me the best thing you can have is a large dog. I have two of them.

Back