Sometimes doesn't auto on correctly

mozmoz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to this dashcam, but really like it. I found the setup software and the user guides great.

I have a bit of a problem with the auto-on, I'm sure it's a setting or something to do with my car.

When you unlock my car, the power inside comes on, so the Mobius comes on as it should be. However then when you get in and switch the ignition on, the power goes out momentarily, so the dashcam seems to go off, and not come back on.

It'll come back on if I disconnect the USB and plug it in again.
Any ideas? Settings attached.

Attachments

• Mobius1.png
    Mobius1.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Mobius2.png
    Mobius2.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Mobius3.png
    Mobius3.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 10
It has nothing to do with your setting, it's normal. The camera senses power disconnect and then goes into power off mode and naturally turns off. The Mobius won't restart while in that 10 sec power off mode. I would try changing disconnect to immediate to see if that fixes your problem.

The developer is working on this and hopefully the new firmware will be out soon and fix a few problems.

I was just hoping on here to ask about the same situation

I have mine to power on and auto record and also immediate disconnected when off and it's only working sometimes

The issue is when the camera starts recording it takes a few seconds to power off and when you crank the engine over the power is cut to all accessories for a second while you hold that key over.
Because of this the camera thinks the power is off and puts itself into turning off mode but during that time the power comes back on but the camera isn't detecting that the power has been switched back on and as such it stays off.

The 5 second mark is when power must be uninterrupted.

...and when you crank the engine over the power is cut to all accessories for a second while you hold that key over. Because of this the camera thinks the power is off and puts itself into turning off mode but during that time the power comes back on but the camera isn't detecting that the power has been switched back on and as such it stays off.

The 5 second mark is when power must be uninterrupted.

Exactly my situation, too. While waiting for a firmware update to correct this my temporary fix is to immediately turn the key all the way to engine start without stopping halfway and wait for the self diagnose to do its thing and all little colourful indicator lights to go out.

Maybe it's not the correct way to start a modern car stuffed with electronics and computers but it does the trick and has my cameras to fire up every time. Luckily my wife always start cars like this so I didn't have to go through the process of having to explain it all her and have her change her behaviour. THAT would never have worked! ;):D

Last edited:
Exactly my situation, too. While waiting for a firmware update to correct this my temporary fix is to immediately turn the key all the way to engine start without stopping halfway and wait for the self diagnose to do its thing and all little colourful indicator lights to go out.

Maybe it's not the correct way to start a modern car stuffed with electronics and computers but it does the trick and has my cameras to fire up every time. Luckily my wife always start cars like this so I didn't have to go through the process of having to explain it all her and have her change her behaviour. THAT would never have worked! ;):D

I had an older diesel, and that was the bit you were meant to wait at for a minute for the glow plugs to heat up. When the lights go out that's when you should start the car. But I don't even think modern diesels have glow plugs tbh.

My issue with it is that my car has an on/off button, so I can't control it. It does take pause a sec though.

Pity, I really like this camera, but it means that I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in - that's a pain as you sometimes forget.

Hey ho.

I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in - that's a pain as you sometimes forget.

But not as big a pain as those large, conspicuous DashCams that you have to unplug, dismount & hide every time you park the car...

But not as big a pain as those large, conspicuous DashCams that you have to unplug, dismount & hide every time you park the car...

You're totally right - it's a great little thing, and I think I've managed to get it quite inconspicuous in the car. I loved the user GUI - so easy to use and the whole thing is really nice and stable - it works.

It's a pity about the switching off thing. I've noticed some of the issues were logged from Feb on the forums so I hope this is going to be sorted - it seems a while now.

The big problem is that if you put a bigger device up on your screen, you're sort of making a conscious effort to get it going, whereas it's really easy not to notice that this isn't working - I reckon some people will get caught out when it's not on and they think they have useable video.

Hopefully it'll be sorted soon though, I've sent 3 other types back, and I'm pretty sure I'll keep this one - that's the proof of it I guess!

I had an older diesel, and that was the bit you were meant to wait at for a minute for the glow plugs to heat up. When the lights go out that's when you should start the car. But I don't even think modern diesels have glow plugs tbh.

The ones I've seen still do
But you only wait a second or two.

But they definitely don't like starting if you don't let them warm up

The older the battery, the longer the plugs take - winter really takes its toll on batteries as well.
Of course, age and cold weather will also impact on plug warming times.
My original battery lasted about 5 years. The identical battery in my 1.9 diesel as in my son's 1.2 petrol!
The new batt recommended for my motor was almost double the output. Seems the manufacturer found the cheapest solution?
My cam in the car is plugged in to a two socket extension where I have spliced a delay timer into the positive side - so even when I was having problems with the plugs & I had to let them warm up/turn off & on again to give them extra time, the cam didn't start until much later.

Back