Sony Action Cam - Image Sensor?

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
As i recall it is a fairly old camera, but i quick search did not give me any sensor specifics to share.

I think 8.8 MP are just what it use of the sensor for video, in photo mode it say 21 mpix photos, and i dont think it is upscale photos ?

Thanks Brian,
I own this camera.
This is what I've been using to make all my YouTube videos for the past 4 years.
I "wear" the camera on the side of my head as a POV camera to keep both my hands free while filming.
I've been looking for an upgrade / replacement for the past year, but I cannot find anything that will work for my application.
The closest thing I've found was the Ordro EP8 ($243);
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09V26FNX5But my research has prevented me from buying it.

I actually bought a DJI Osmo Pocket 1 ($200) 11 months ago, but the 80 degree FOV did not work for my application, (I prefer around 120 degree FOV).
Here are 3 sample clips comparing the DJI, Sony Action Cam, and my iPhone SE 2020.
DJI: 4K 60fps 100Mbps 80° FOV
Sony: 1080p 60fps 28Mbps 120° FOV
iPhone: 4K 60fps 50Mbps 80° FOV

This is what I've been using to make all my YouTube videos for the past 4 years.
I "wear" the camera on the side of my head as a POV camera to keep both my hands free while filming.
I've been looking for an upgrade / replacement for the past year, but I cannot find anything that will work for my application.

I'm not sue if I'm understanding you correctly, but are you saying that want a new camera that also works on the side of your head as well as having the AOV you require?

I think you might have better luck finding what you need if you opt for a GoPro style camera using a head strap with a forehead mount. There are plenty of AOV choices built right into GoPros or you could modify a camera with an aftermarket lens of your choice. Of course, there are many alternative cameras very similar to GoPro in the same form and size that would work with such a mount. Also, having the camera placed in the center of your head might be a real plus when shooting because it should be easier to frame your shots.

gopro_head_strap.jpg

I'm not sue if I'm understanding you correctly, but are you saying that want a new camera that also works on the side of your head as well as having the AOV you require?
Yes.

In 2015 I had a fantasy of becoming a YouTube MotoVlogger like https://www.youtube.com/@BaronVonGrumble
I researched the best action cameras at the time and they were the Sony HDR-AS200V, and the GoPro 4. I chose the Sony because it had an external mic jack, and I’ve been in love with Sony consumer electronics since 1980. Lol

In 2017 I started using my Sony AS-200 as a dash cam in my car out of curiosity.
In 2019 I started using my Sony AS-200 to start my Panzer Platform YouTube channel to document the “reconditioning” of a used car purchase.

This Sony Action Cam has been used, abused, dropped, subjected to vibration from mounting to motorcycles, and it just will not die. It has been the most universal, swiss army knife of any electronic gadget I’ve ever owned. So of course in 2017 Sony abandoned the Action Cam market, and I’m left with no alternatives for my application. Lol

In 2019 I bought the flagship GoPro 4K60fps, and the image quality was amazing. However it would overheat, lock up, and become unresponsive after 2.5 minutes of filming. I film all my YouTube videos (99%) in one single take that are around 22 minutes long because I don’t have a computer, or editing software. And I just upload the raw footage.

The Sony AS-200 actually has two different AOV / FOV 170° without EIS, and 120° with EIS. I prefer the narrow FOV 99% of the time. The GoPro box design does not work for my application because it’s too heavy to be work on my forehead, and wobbles around. I mount the Sony on a pair of $1 sunglasses with the lenses removed with 3M Dual Lock. Having the Sony camera lens about an inch from my right eyeball has been ideal. I’m starting to ramble so I’ll end this post here with some various videos filmed with the Sony AS-200.

Attachments

• 4 .jpg
    4 .jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    300 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    309 KB · Views: 4
OK, now I understand.

You know, an interesting inexpensive and versatile option might be a Mobius camera with a baseball cap mount. I made my own using 3M Dual Lock tape and I love it. You can mount the camera on top of or below the rim and the camera is so small and light I often forget that it is there. You can easily put any lens you want on the camera and when you use it with the optional battery it will run for two hours. The Mobius has been a long time favorite action/dash cam. Mobius recently introduced a 2K version of the original M1 as seen below.

This is a commercially available Mobius baseball cap set-up but the homemade version is better.

mobius_cap.jpg

P.S. Like several other people I know of on DCT, my first dash cam was a small MiniDV camcorder.

I like switching around 2 letters in my name get Brain, probably the closest to that i will ever get. :D

Mobius recently introduced a 2K version of the original M1 as seen below.
Thank you, I started reading up on the Mobius about a month ago when you and TonyM were talking about it.
I can't remember why I didn't continue researching it.
Does the Mobius come in a 4K60fps 120 degree FOV version?
I just looked at their website, and doesn't look confidence inspiring.

What ever happen to the Viofo / GitUp F1 4K?
That looks like something I could get behind, but it looks like it died on the vine in 2019.
What if Viofo breathed some new life into it with the new STARVIS IMX678?
That would be awesome right?

One thing I note about your Sony is that the rectangular body was designed to be used in a vertical orientation while recording horizontal format video, which is convenient for mounting on your sunglasses frame. If you go for something like a Mobius or the GitUp F1, these are intended to be used with the box shape in a horizontal orientation - this might be harder to mount.

Does the Mobius come in a 4K60fps 120 degree FOV version?
I just looked at their website, and doesn't look confidence inspiring.

Mobius is not like any other company. They have never done any promotion or advertising and their entire success has been based on word of mouth. After all these years they didn't even have a web site until fairly recently and you're right, it isn't too inspiring. Primarily, they sell their cameras through their own authorized sellers on eBay - eletoponline365 and digitalele889 along with other independent vendors.

Mobius does make a 4K camera called the Mobius Maxi 4k (MM4K). For various reasons it hasn't been very popular and some issues have been reported when used as a dash cam. It is available with a battery or a super-capacitor and a choice of three different lenses. For your purposes, the MM4K may be an interesting option as you don't plan to use it as a dash cam. It seems to work better as an action cam and FPV cam.

The MM4K is not available off the shelf with a 120º lens but it is available with a ƒ/1.5 110º lens (horizontal) which I think might just work for you. You would want the "C" lens option for this. The camera will shoot at 60 fps in 2K but only 30 fps in 4K. For what you want to use the camera for I'm not clear why you need 60fps though. Mobius cameras are a whole unique world unto themselves designed for camera enthusiasts. They provide advanced photographic controls unavailable with any other camera platform all controlled through a GUI on your computer via a specialized (free) app (or via an editable text file). And the cameras themselves are highly customizable.

For the $100 price it might be worth taking a flyer on one of these and see if it's for you after exploring the camera more thoroughly on the forum. Many guys here would be happy to provide plenty of feedback and assistance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154909724543

Mobius also happens to sell a baseball cap mount for their cameras as do other vendors but I still think 3M Dual Lock Fasteners are the cheapest and best way to go. For aiming I just adjust the cap rather than a mount but for your purposes an adjustable mount may be better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185235908596

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225236369507

Of course, the Mobius is a tiny camera. There is no reason you couldn't mount it on the temple leg of a pair of glasses exactly as you have with your Sony HDR-AS200V. (See next post)

What ever happen to the Viofo / GitUp F1 4K?

The Gitup F1 as well as the GoPro style Git1, Git2 and Git3 are all very interesting, well priced, well made actions cameras. A few are still offered for sale on the Viofo site but they are primarily marketed directly though the Gitup website where the entire line of cameras is still available.

Last edited:
One thing I note about your Sony is that the rectangular body was designed to be used in a vertical orientation while recording horizontal format video, which is convenient for mounting on your sunglasses frame. If you go for something like a Mobius or the GitUp F1, these are intended to be used with the box shape in a horizontal orientation - this might be harder to mount.

I don't see any reason that one couldn't mount a Mobius Maxi camera horizontally on the temple leg of a pair of eyeglasses exactly the way Panzer mounted his Sony HDR-AS200V using 3M Dual Lock Tape. The camera is far smaller and probably much lighter in weight. Aren't you an engineer?

sidemountmaxi.jpg

I did try the innovv C3 with its provided headset, worked okay but wished there had been just a little EIS to help out, CUZ i do not longer have the smooth gate of a ninja.

Mobius does make a 4K camera called the Mobius Maxi 4k (MM4K).
Thank you so much for the additional info,
I checked out the links, and this camera is a 9/10 for my needs.
$100 is a bargain for what it offers.
But, I forgot to mention my last requirement which is the 1/10 point deduction.
I need the camera to have wi-fi for two reasons.
1.) During filming my YouTube videos I use a spare cellphone to display live view so I know exactly what I have "in frame".
2.) In the rare times I need to edit two clips together like to show a before & after I need to be able to download the two clips to my cellphone so I can use the factory iMovie App on my iphone to glue the two clips together.

So the GITUP F1C 130° FOV 4K WIFI ACTION CAMERA;
is almost the perfect choice for me, I just wish it had the updated STARVIS 2 IMX678, instead of the old IMX317.

The MM4K has EIS.
On paper, yes. In practice, it's not very useful. And it takes a big hit on FOV to achieve the stabilisation, though the effective crop might actually be useful.

The innovv C3 had its challenges too, the wire to the remote camera unit was pretty stiff, so you would notice that using the head gear thing.
size wise it was okay, though some did spot it and comment ( asking me if i was recording )

On paper, yes. In practice, it's not very useful. And it takes a big hit on FOV to achieve the stabilisation, though the effective crop might actually be useful.

I see. Having never purchased one of these I had no way to know that.

Both the MM4K and the F1 have WiFi. I think you can record and view a live stream at the same time with the F1 - the GitUp app is similar to the Viofo app, although the F1 runs on Ambarella rather than Novatek so things are a bit different. As for the MM4K, I can't remember if you can record and watch on the app at the same time - I would have to check.

Back