Sony introducing a new dashcam line?

Maybe a rather inventive story?

As it is for the USA, and the USA car manufacturers will have to fit "rearview camera for vehicles" to all new vehicles from the date the article says the new sensor will be available, my guess is that it will be components for the car manufacturers to integrate with the car rather than consumers...

Channel News have a long history of taking snippets of information and building stories out of it so take whatever they say with a large pinch of salt

The sensor they mentioned is available but that's quite a way from being a finished product

Man i would like to see dashcameras for the sides not least in that phone camera module size, would be so easy to install in the car as opposed to a huge mobius.

The press tells people what they want you to know, not necessarily the truth.
And that is never more true than when it comes to politics. :(

Channel News have a long history of taking snippets of information and building stories out of it so take whatever they say with a large pinch of salt

The sensor they mentioned is available but that's quite a way from being a finished product

Apparently, the IMX390CQV dedicated dash cam sensor they are talking about is at least far enough along for an impressive demonstration. PWM flicker elimination plus 120dB HDR wide dynamic range!..... and sensitivity down to .1 lux!
Sign me up!! Hey if "some" people are willing to hang in there waiting for the Mobius 2 to finally achieve it's alleged "potential" for two years and counting, I'll wait for this thing instead! :)

Last edited:
yeah even if the camera doesn't exist the sensor is available already, limited support for it right now but the next generation of chipsets are going to offer us some pretty nice features, 4 x 1080p30 or 2 x 1080p60 in the next gen version which should go nicely with this type of sensor

yeah even if the camera doesn't exist the sensor is available already, limited support for it right now but the next generation of chipsets are going to offer us some pretty nice features, 4 x 1080p30 or 2 x 1080p60 in the next gen version which should go nicely with this type of sensor

It been great to witness the progress in imaging capabilities since purchasing my first dash cam 7 years ago. That one had relatively decent 1080p performance during the day but couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of the car at night into a grainy, noisy fog. This new chip at .1 lux should be pretty impressive at night plus all the other capabilities. Hope you can get these CMOS chips into your products sooner than later whenever that may happen to be.

It been great to witness the progress in imaging capabilities since purchasing my first dash cam 7 years ago. That one had relatively decent 1080p performance during the day but couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of the car at night into a grainy, noisy fog. This new chip at .1 lux should be pretty impressive at night plus all the other capabilities. Hope you can get these CMOS chips into your products sooner than later whenever that may happen to be.

it's on the roadmap, how long it will take is hard to say, everything takes longer than we want and others with more resources will likely have product out before us using some of this newer tech, it's heading in a good direction regardless though

it's on the roadmap, how long it will take is hard to say, everything takes longer than we want and others with more resources will likely have product out before us using some of this newer tech, it's heading in a good direction regardless though

Well, I don't have to tell you that the "others" that push these products out to the market before they're properly developed tend to drop the ball with crappy firmware development. Those that take the time to build a proper product will have something worth selling.

Well, I don't have to tell you that the "others" that push these products out to the market before they're properly developed tend to drop the ball with crappy firmware development. Those that take the time to build a proper product will have something worth selling.

yeah being first at something isn't always a good thing

I am so glad i am not a early adopter and big user of TVs, to this day it seem like technologies are just one big mess.
First there are the different kind of panels, on top of that add the many HDR technologies - Dolby vision Color Gamuts and what not, and add to that connectivity though it do seem like HDMI won that one.
And dont get me started on the audio side of things and not forgetting the resolution race.

Looking forward to see when night time footage are no longer just a matter of who support the highest ISO range, cuz we all know what happen when you amp that one up in spite of technologies invented to eliminate some of the noise in the footage.

Man i would like to see dashcameras for the sides not least in that phone camera module size, would be so easy to install in the car as opposed to a huge mobius.

Who knows. Maybe that is what "Cocoon" means. 360-degrees of coverage like a cocoon. Actually, that would be closer to spherical coverage and quite impossible for a car cam. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

+1

The press tells people what they want you to know, not necessarily the truth.

Oh come on Gabacho, every body knows the press is always on the up and up with the public:confused::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Back