Specific Needs in a Convertible - Suggestions?

ember1205

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, all.

I have a Viofo A119 that has served me very well over the last five years or so in my pickup truck. Last summer, I picked up a convertible for the weekends and I am now looking to install [likely] a dual cam setup in it but want to be sure that I make some smart choices for the product.

- I bought my car to drive with the top down. All the time. Period. I have another vehicle as a daily driver and this car never sees rain. Since my intention is to 99% of the time drive with the top down, I want to be mindful of heat from the sun that could cause issues.
- I have a windscreen installed to reduce wind turbulence, so trying to run a dual cam from the windshield will have its "view" cut into from the windscreen that would be behind it. As a result, I'm expecting that I will want to use a dedicated rear-facing camera that will be mounted behind the windscreen. If I have to make a custom mount for it, that's potentially fine.
- Given that the rear camera would be mounted at a point where there. will be a LOT of noise from the wind blowing around, I almost certainly won't care about audio quality of any sort from this camera.
- The car goes into the garage for sometimes days or even weeks at a time (months at a time when stored for the winter). I would prefer to not be constantly tinkering with settings on the camera(s) to be able to switch in and out of parking mode (for when I'm parked at the store, for example) to ensure that it doesn't drain battery on the longer periods of the car sitting dormant.
- While the image from my current Viofo is ok, I would definitely like a decent improvement if I can get it. During the day, the image has been mostly good with loss of definition along the periphery. At night, you can really only make out what's in a sort of "cone" created from the headlights. Any improvements on this would be great.
- If there's a way to power this from a single USB-based cable that I can connect to a 12V outlet adapter (that currently has a single cable plugged into it for charging a phone), that would be great. The outlet is switched with the ignition, so there's likely a need for some consideration about handling parking mode (I'm guessing).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, Probably the best idea for a convertible, even if getting the rear camera installed are more problematic than just sticking it on the rear window.

Yeah, Probably the best idea for a convertible, even if getting the rear camera installed are more problematic than just sticking it on the rear window.
rear window, or that area, is often a problem in convertibles, people often use the external camera and mount it at the license plate like you would a reverse camera, it has a much larger field of view with this usage scenario in mind

Thanks for the replies.

As mentioned, this car is driven with the top down. I can easily create a custom bracket to mount it near the tops of the rear seats (which will never carry passengers) and have it positioned behind the windscreen. Operation of the top won't be an issue as it would easily clear everything. My two primary needs are the heat "resistance" aspect and the ability to provide a reasonable image.

I should also add that, if there doesn't end up being a good dual-camera setup that will fit my needs and use, I'll likely end up just going with a single forward-facing camera like the newer Viofo A129 Pro. Since it will be mounted in a area out of direct sunlight as much as the one in my truck, I would not expect any heat issues with it as a solo camera solution.

heat wouldn't be an issue for the rear camera anyway, baking inside a closed cabin is what's traditionally a problem

heat wouldn't be an issue for the rear camera anyway, baking inside a closed cabin is what's traditionally a problem
Interesting because I've had my phone shut off because it was lying on the seat directly in the hot sun (top down)... Given that the housing on these cameras is typically black plastic, I would expect them to get exceptionally hot in the direct sun and potentially end up shutting themselves down for thermal protection.

For just driving and recording, or getting out to blast furnace hot car, then get in and drive / start recording, thats not really a problem for dashcams.
Heat problems mostly only arise if you want to use parking guard in such a hot environment.

My car dont even have aircon, but then again Denmark dont get really hot in the summer, if we hit 30 deg C / 86 deg F thats about as good as it get, and if we get 7 of those days in a summer its like OMG for most Danes.

I think the worst you'd encounter with a rear cam or remote cam unit from baking in the sun would be some heat-related focus shift, which would solve itself when cooled. And TBH that wasn't common in the past before the newer more heat-resistant lens housings were put into use by the better cam manufacturers.

It's the overheating of the processor and card that may be a problem, and those are in the windshield-mounted front cam (or a remote unit with the dual-remote cam types). I've had a few heat-related issues with some cams in my workvan here in SC's sweltering summers, but never with a rear cam or remote cam.

Phil

Back