Speed and clock

wumpyr99

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi

Two questions:

1) Does the DR get it's time/date from GPS? or is it manual and subject to skew/drift?
2) Can you disable the car speed so it does not indicate/record it?

thanks

If you connect the GPS antenna you just need to set your time zone +/- daylights savings if you have that, the camera take care of the rest.
Your speed can always be determined by the video footage itself, and far more accurate than the GPS do, no court of law will rule on the base of a 2 dollar GPS unit in a dashcam.
But the distance from X tree to that sign in the video, they can send a cop to measure the distance in between, and the video give your time it took, break out the calculator and you have your exact speed.

ok, got a feature request. I need variable and random fps in my recordings :)

I speed too, and very often too, but it is not as bad as in the 90ties where i gladly did 100 km/h in a town where the limit is 50, and upon arriving after a few miles having severe brake fading.

It dont bother me much filming ( with many cameras all GPS enabled ) first of all i dont think "they" can just take my footage and use it against me, second they have to notice i have a camera, which many dont seem to do if it is installed in a sensible location.

So i dont compare it to doing a B&E some place, and then while there use their PC to check your social media and then dont log out and just leave the PC on when you leave.
Or like some also do now and then drop your wallet at the place. :)

And in any way it is "just" speeding, when you get busted you pay the man, but if you are a axe murderer i dont recommend you record it, better keep those memories in a less volatile / safe place where you can always take them out, even without needing some form of player.

I still remember when i in 1985 or something got drunk while doing 280 km/h,,,,,,,,, but it was in a Frenc TGV train between Paris and Lyon, and i wasent driving, just there as a guest of the French Railways.

Last edited:
what's the fun in that? :)

The fun in my little town is watching the Cops catch the speeders who don't believe what the speed limit signs say :p One of their most productive spots is where they're actually quite visible 20 seconds before you get to the City limits if you happen to be looking up the road instead of only watching the car in front of you the way many/most drivers do :rolleyes:

Speeders are keeping my taxes down here, and having more money in my pocket is always fun :love:

Phil

The SG9663DR has a RTC battery right? Started using mine and noticed that every time it turns on, the time is 01/01/20, then after it gets the GPS signal it turns to the correct date and time. I am assuming the battery may need to be charged, any suggestions on how long of driving it would take it charge or if I need to some how leave it plugged in for a prolonged period to charge it?

yes it has an RTC battery, they take 48 hours of runtime to fully charge, if you do that and still have issues please let us know and we'll get it sorted for you

yes it has an RTC battery, they take 48 hours of runtime to fully charge, if you do that and still have issues please let us know and we'll get it sorted for you

Thanks for that, just to clarify, does the battery charge when plugged into USB? Or does it need to be 48 hours of driving using the hard wired connection to charge it up?

I plugged it in via USB for over 48 hours and it did appear to have charged it as it appears that the date/time saved for the next day but then a day later (today) I noticed that the time was 01/01/20 when I first started it up this morning.

Curious to how the RTC battery works, does it save the time and date so that when you turn it on again it reverts to the previous time of when the unit shut off or does it keep the time running so it is accurate?

Wondering if the parking mode is draining the RTC battery some how when it is running or does the RTC battery get a charge during parking mode.

I've had bad luck with RTC batteries as I had trouble with my previous Blackvue and potentially am having trouble with this one as well, I wondering if I am doing something wrong to make the RTC battery not save the time so that whenever it turns on it is 01/01/20.. I am using the latest 1.10 firmware on here and I did wait until the GPS corrected the date and time and then formatted..

For now I guess I will keep using it and see if the battery will eventually charge and save the time so that it doesn't state 01/01/20 when it turns on after it turns off from parking mode.. Luckily this camera is better as the GPS actually updates the date and the time as opposed to the Blackvue that I had. I'll keep using it for now to see if it fixes itself as it is only a minor convience for that when it turns on it is 01/01/20 and then a minute later when it gets the GPS signal corrects the date and the time, just don't want to be stuck with an inaccurate 01/01/20 timestamp for videos in case it never gets the GPS signal..

Anyone else have this camera that can chime in on if your date/time is saved when it turns off and when you re-open it or are you having the same behavior as me where it turns on with 01/01/20 and then corrects once it gets a GPS signal? I hope this one will fix itself or else I will look into exchanging it in the future..

You just install and go, at least thats what i have done with every SG camera i have ever had, you should not need to "charge" the RCT battery in the same perspective you charge a phone for instance.
But i have never used parking mode before this DR camera, and i also just use that function for 1 hour on the timer.
Maybe only if you push the camera hard with really long parking mode service,,,,, maybe to get the RCT battery 100% you could not use parking mode for a day or two ?

I would assume the RCT battery also charge when in parking mode ,,,,,, @jokiin ?

As i took a drive right after my last post, i took my reading glasses with me for the ride, and my DR do the same, read 01-01-.2020 when i start the car and the camera have booted.

Thanks for that, just to clarify, does the battery charge when plugged into USB? Or does it need to be 48 hours of driving using the hard wired connection to charge it up?

I plugged it in via USB for over 48 hours and it did appear to have charged it as it appears that the date/time saved for the next day but then a day later (today) I noticed that the time was 01/01/20 when I first started it up this morning.

Curious to how the RTC battery works, does it save the time and date so that when you turn it on again it reverts to the previous time of when the unit shut off or does it keep the time running so it is accurate?

Wondering if the parking mode is draining the RTC battery some how when it is running or does the RTC battery get a charge during parking mode.

I've had bad luck with RTC batteries as I had trouble with my previous Blackvue and potentially am having trouble with this one as well, I wondering if I am doing something wrong to make the RTC battery not save the time so that whenever it turns on it is 01/01/20.. I am using the latest 1.10 firmware on here and I did wait until the GPS corrected the date and time and then formatted..

For now I guess I will keep using it and see if the battery will eventually charge and save the time so that it doesn't state 01/01/20 when it turns on after it turns off from parking mode.. Luckily this camera is better as the GPS actually updates the date and the time as opposed to the Blackvue that I had. I'll keep using it for now to see if it fixes itself as it is only a minor convience for that when it turns on it is 01/01/20 and then a minute later when it gets the GPS signal corrects the date and the time, just don't want to be stuck with an inaccurate 01/01/20 timestamp for videos in case it never gets the GPS signal..

Anyone else have this camera that can chime in on if your date/time is saved when it turns off and when you re-open it or are you having the same behavior as me where it turns on with 01/01/20 and then corrects once it gets a GPS signal? I hope this one will fix itself or else I will look into exchanging it in the future..
are you using firmware V1.10?

I am.

Yes as I was getting a black screen on the iOS app so I upgraded my cam to 1.10
I'll ask @Street Guardian USA to follow up with you, it shouldn't be resetting the date like that, I think it's better we swap the main unit out for you with a new one so we can get that one back and have a look at it

Ill film my camera booting today.

I'll ask @Street Guardian USA to follow up with you, it shouldn't be resetting the date like that, I think it's better we swap the main unit out for you with a new one so we can get that one back and have a look at it

Thanks! Looks like @kamkar1 is seeing the same behavior, wondering if anyone else is having similar behaviors?

Back