Speed and clock

Could there be something causing an extra drain on the battery. I was just about to buy a DR, but it looks like I'll be holding off now.

We’ve shipped a bunch so far, no other reports. I’ve been for testing DR’s on the bench and haven’t found another RTC issue yet. At least the main DVR is very easy to swap out. As always, USA office sends advanced replacements for any order that needs warranty service along with a pre paid return label.

Yeah the prudent thing to do ( if you are the caring kind of guy / company ) and issues pop up, well get some samples on the test bench and let then go thru their paces.
I have not yet isolated at what point mine kick in with default time/date, so far 10 Hours of parking seem to be okay, and on the other end 20 / 22 / 28 hours parked and the camera have defaulted on startup.
Remember i just use 1 hour parking mode on timer, so while my battery are not big or new anymore it should be fine.
I have also changed ground point but that changed nothing as i expected.

I am pretty sure SG and their sellers are handling this and any issue as good as any man could ask for.

I should maybe say that the default time/date issue i see some times, well it is just observed on the LCD screen immediately after boot, the camera get a GPS fix long before first file are ready to be saved.
So it is not like the horror story's we hear about now and then with older cameras with a dead RTC battery, and i have had the DR since day #1 and i have not had any major issues so far.
There is a few issues like any new camera, but in spite of them not being critical all hands are on deck on this.

Last edited:
I know the SG team is top notch, they replaced two of my X2s already that I am using as side cameras. It's just with my luck, I'll get one of those that does have the issues and I would end up letting it go like one of the X2 replacements being a little out of focus on the left side. It was was such a pain trying to come up with footage to show how out of focus the first problem camera was, it was finally replaced. Then the other side camera started its act of not finishing the boot up, it was replaced with one that is a bit out of focus on the left as well, but not as bad as the first one so I let it go. I only get one day a week off of work so I am spending what daylight hours I have trying to keep code enforcement happy rather than tinkering with my cameras. I have been wanting to replace my two X2 side cameras with the DR and move one of the X2s to the front next to my Thinkware F770 that has been popping up glitches. Might be moving the other to the rear of the Jeep since the Blackvue rear cam died.

Here I am late for work again.

Thanks for being an early Street Guardian customer. The occasional focus issues over the years are a thing of the past. Street Guardian changed lens suppliers several times since the beginning and finally found one that is very reliable. You will be pleased with the DR video quality edge to edge.
(new pending IQ tuning results I’ve just seen are very impressive as well.) I’m excited.

Could there be something causing an extra drain on the battery. I was just about to buy a DR, but it looks like I'll be holding off now.

I've just realized that the DR is a great camera design as I can literally swap it out if necessary in like 2 minutes, no need to demount or do anything else. Also I can keep it away from the heat so it doesn't get too hot which is a plus.

A follow up to my issue with the time reading 01/01/20, I contacted @Street Guardian USA with my order number (over the weekend) and he stated he would test a new camera for a few days and send it to me. A day later during regular business days he stated that he already had a brand new one that had been tested for a while and had already shipped it out to me with a pre-paid return label!... Really surprised of the lightning fast response and support, really good customer service so far, I am glad I read the reviews and went with this brand.. I am really grateful for the quick responses and support even through a forum.. Was really impressed that they test the replacement cameras before sending them out to ensure that there is no problem with it observed.

I think if all is good with this DR camera my next dash cams will be definitely of this brand as the support is superb when compared to some of the other brands I have owned..

Anyways, back to the camera, I got the replacement today, and it took me 2 minutes to swap it out, I booted it up and BAM it had the saved time off 08/25/20 on it instead of the 01/01/20 with version 1.10 like the previous one I had..

I haven't tested it fully to see if it will stay but it looks promising so far, I will need to test out the other functions of the cam as well but so far so good. I'll probably be able to test it the next few days while I am driving to work along with the parking mode.. Fingers crossed the date and time stays! Serial of my original was 40s I think , the replacement is in the 70s...

A++++++++ so far!

Update: Thought it was fixed but after a few test days it appears that even with the new device I am still having the same issue. At this point I'm thinking that it may be the parking mode draining the RTC battery (I have it set to 1 hour).. Regardless it isn't a huge issue so I'm fine with what I have as the GPS updates quick enough to update the date and time before I start driving...

Here are the events after I received the replacement
  • 8 hours sitting -> Retained Time
  • 12 hours sitting -> Lost Time
  • 8 hours sitting -> Lost Time
  • 7 hours sitting -> Lost Time
  • 3 hours sitting -> Lost Time
  • 3 hours sitting -> Lost time
  • 1 hour sitting -> Lost Time
1598732921541.png

Saved video of the even right as it booted up and the date does say 01/01/20
1598732955724.png

The time does update in the video so that is a good thing and is good enough for me as it acquires a GPS signal in < 1 minute and then updates the time which is much better than some of the other brands that I have used.

See the time in the bottom right corner

In the end, I think I am fine with the behavior of this camera as it actually updates the time via GPS in a quick fashion, I think I will just run with it and use it as it isn't much of a bother.. I am sorry for any inconveniences that I may have caused for the Street Guardian brand.. But please do let me know in the future if we figure out of this is normal behavior or if there was an issue and it is fixed in a new batch of cameras..

Wondering if anyone who has the SG9663DCPRO with the hardwire kit have seen this behavior..

@iDerek yesterday for the first time i managed to get mine to show the default time after just 1 hour of parking mode ( timer ) and 45 minutes just sitting there, otherwise when it have happened to me i have had to let the car sit for around 20 hours.

Wondering if anyone who has the SG9663DCPRO with the hardwire kit have seen this behavior

I assume it could be the case, if no one have noticed the time/date on the screen, otherwise hard to see though on my DR then the time have defaulted the first files ( from either camera ) also go to the top of the list of files on the memory card even if the files are numbered with the correct time /date name.
But to be honest for the first while having the DR i dident notice that as i quickly scrolled down the list to the most recent files, and i never had a need to look at the first file.

Like jokiin say we are probably looking at a firmware bug, which is good if the guys in the lab can find it

On my DR it also take 30 - 40 seconds before the time correct itself, i assume that is GPS fix ( i have not looked on the screen to see if the GPS icon turn green before the time correct )

My next bout of shopaholicsem i will satisfy with a new battery for my car, even if i had other plans.
Though i dont think it is the problem, then like my car it is a small battery ( original ) from 2012

Update: Thought it was fixed but after a few test days it appears that even with the new device I am still having the same issue. At this point I'm thinking that it may be the parking mode draining the RTC battery (I have it set to 1 hour).. Regardless it isn't a huge issue so I'm fine with what I have as the GPS updates quick enough to update the date and time before I start driving...

Here are the events after I received the replacement
  • 8 hours sitting -> Retained Time
  • 12 hours sitting -> Lost Time
  • 8 hours sitting -> Lost Time
  • 3 hours sitting -> Lost Time
  • 3 hours sitting -> Lost time
  • 1 hour sitting -> Lost Time
View attachment 53168

Saved video of the even right as it booted up and the date does say 01/01/20
View attachment 53169

The time does update in the video so that is a good thing and is good enough for me as it acquires a GPS signal in < 1 minute and then updates the time which is much better than some of the other brands that I have used.

See the time in the bottom right corner

In the end, I think I am fine with the behavior of this camera as it actually updates the time via GPS in a quick fashion, I think I will just run with it and use it as it isn't much of a bother.. I am sorry for any inconveniences that I may have caused for the Street Guardian brand.. But please do let me know in the future if we figure out of this is normal behavior or if there was an issue and it is fixed in a new batch of cameras..

Wondering if anyone who has the SG9663DCPRO with the hardwire kit have seen this behavior..

Have never seen it on my DC Pro ever. I personally don't believe it is a battery issue as it seems like the RTC battery only charges when the car is moving. I figure this because the 1/1/20 issue has happened on a car that was fully charged (on an external charger).

Not at all unusual to find firmware bugs in new cam models. Most of the time vthey do get worked out reasonably well or better. Nobody works harder on these things than SG, jokiin is adamant about his cams functioning properly and he takes much pride in his products. You can't catch every bug in beta-testing but SG tries, and the result is that their cams have fewer issues after market release than anyone else's cams. The few which do arise are also resolved faster than what anyone else does. Nobody does customer service better than SG (y)

Phil

I think it's a bug, to anyone that has experienced this issue can I get a list of all your settings please, there may be some relevance to a combination of settings used that we need to test, anything altered from the default values

I have changed to:

Time zone / +2
Image quality / High
G sensor off / Driving
Parking mode / 30 FPS low bitrate
Parking mode G sensor / off
LCD screen timer / 5 minutes
I use 3 minute segment size, but i think thats default.

Other than that my settings should be default ones.

No i have the SG watermark on and speed set to KMH, i use to put in the camera model number as plate number in other cameras, but i have not bothered with this one CUZ i am a naughty old lazy tester.

Also just noticed how incredible stupid i am :oops:, the time date bug well the filer are saved with that and so on top, it is just i only look at the creation time/date and not the left most column when i look at the files.
So really no wonder those files end on top of the file stack as they are "the oldest ones" :rolleyes:

If you dont hear from me ever again, it is due to me tomorrow digging a very deep hole in the ground, one that i can never get back up of again.

I will grab screenshots of settings in APP; going for a quick drive in a moment anyway, so one more reason to do that drive.

Screenshot_20200830-153808_Street Guardian.jpg
For my dad's car
--------------------------------
Screenshot_20200830-154441_Street Guardian.jpg
For my mom's car

Back