Speed Display

Topgardenboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 512GW and a 312GW from my local Halfords. My question is when I put the 512GW speed display on, all I get is 0 mph on the screen, there is no indication to the actual speed I am doing. Have I got a faulty unit?.

is the GPS functioning otherwise, can you view your trip data when using the replay 3 playback software

Yes the GPS is switched on and it’s working but ( I assume GPS is working because my Sat Nav does) I just get 0mph on the display doing a 20 mile journey, and it has never given any speed reading.

you shouldn't assume it's working just because it's turned on, check your footage and see if you have map data showing up or not, it will shortcut your troubleshooting

True never assume anything with dashcams, the ones that do often find that when they need footage from the camera it have stopped recording long ago for some reason.

You will have to look at your footage you have recorded and see if there are any speed stamped on the footage or added to the footage.

As i recall that model have the GPS antenna build in, so plugging that into the wrong port as possible on some cameras cant be the problem.

Your sat-nav is a separate device, is the speed recorded on the footage? Does it have co-ordinates on the screen?

Does your mount have GPS written on it?

Does your windscreen have a heat reflective coating?

I had the same issue but with my 412gw and I had the Ferrell core still I did the box, fitted this as close as possible to the dashcam itself and have had no issues for a few months now

I know the Sat Nav is a separate device, but I assumed that if the Sat Nav was receiving a GPS signal then the dash cam would also. However I have reviewed the footage but there is no speed readout, but the speed stamp on the dash cam is set to on. But using it today including a 10 mile drive it started to flash up a blue screen saying battery is low and needs connecting to power source, so I took it home and using the lead supplied plugged it in (we have 13 amp plugs with USB ports) and now it must be completely flat as I cannot switch it on, and while writing this it has been plugged in for nearly 2 hours.

Yes it is hardwired and for some reason it will not charge, I have checked the wire fuse etc but it will not charge with the USB lead supplied with it.

The first 512GW I brought was like this, does the yellow satellite icon flash in the bottom right hand corner when the unit is first switched on? Nextbase sent me a new mount but still didn't work, sent it back to Amazon and got a refund. Brought another from local Halfords all working ok now.

does the yellow satellite icon flash in the bottom right hand corner when the unit is first switched on?
Yes, until the GPS unit locks on. It will take quite a lot longer to lock if you drive away before it has a lock and the speed and location etc. won't work until it does either.

Wasn't asking if it's meant to flash M8TJT I know that, was asking topgardenboy if his unit was flashing when first turned on, because it sounds like a faulty unit like my first one. I can drive straight away and the GPS locks on nearly immediately, oh and I have a heated front screen never been a bother with this 2nd unit or a previous DOD dashcam.

Put it back in the car and yes the GPS icon does flash but the speed read didn’t work then all of a sudden it started to give a speed reading but it was 15 to 20 mph out from the car speedo the car is 9 months old so I would assume it was fairly accurate. I got home checked the units settings sat in the car and it tells me the battery is low and I need to charge it surely a 30 minute drive it should put enough power in it to be able to adjust settings while sat in the car

I got home checked the units settings sat in the car and it tells me the battery is low and I need to charge it surely a 30 minute drive it should put enough power in it to be able to adjust settings while sat in the car
where you trying to adjust the settings while the camera was running off its internal battery?

Yes I slide it out of the mount as it is easier to fiddle with

I often used to plug my 412 into the PC USB in mass storage mode to keep it topped up. Even though it had been used the previous day it often used to take an hour+ for the light to go from magenta to red to indicate fully charged.

Back