Speeder tried to use a dashcam to prove he wasn't speeding. And failed.

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
This is not really a dashcam video (well, there's sort of a Police dashcam video in it) but it's interesting because it's about one of those drivers who didn't learn anything from having a dashcam and one who thought it would save his hide everytime. :rolleyes:

Some times i see gangstas in their BMW,,, BUT ! its not the bad ass gangsta that's driving his car it is now his girlfriend as he have no license.

So funny and so sad to see.

He didn't even try to fight it from what I remember seeing this episode it wasn't challenged in court

Driver is just another tool ..
He got what he earned ! I feel nothing for him .
I would love to see his dashcam footage ..

It probably said the same as police speed gun.

I know some times i drift over the limit, but drifting from 40 to 106 i think the speed gun say, well that's just plain old stupid.
And i have no idea why the guy want to mention dashcam, i wouldent mention it but just have a look at my own log from the camera when i get home.
Maybe they guy got the dashcam for the wrong reasons ? it seem like some people having dashcams also have radar / laser detectors, indicating that they want to go fast and get away with it.

He didn't even try to fight it from what I remember seeing this episode it wasn't challenged in court
It says so at the end of the video. ;)

but drifting from 40 to 106 i think the speed gun say,
No, it said 77km/h. Nevertheless, it was enough for a $300 fine a 6 month's suspension from dri.., I mean, a 6 month's suspension of the DL, because we know from so many videos that many Australians keep on driving with a suspended DL.

No, it said 77km/h. Nevertheless, it was enough for a $300 fine a 6 month's suspension from dri.., I mean, a 6 month's suspension of the DL, because we know from so many videos that many Australians keep on driving with a suspended DL.
A problem in the US as well.

Here you lose your license @ 30+ KMH over the limit ...

77 - 40 = 37 over ...
School zones ( 40 kmh ) @ school times , people still refuse to slow down .
The driver is an idiot - and deserved the slap !

A problem in the US as well.
What does it take for drivers to get their DLs suspended in the US? Do you have a points' system as well? Curiously, I've never got myself around to look for the answers to these questions. :D

What does it take for drivers to get their DLs suspended in the US? Do you have a points' system as well? Curiously, I've never got myself around to look for the answers to these questions. :D
Points, DUI, serious injury accidents, financial responsibility, and some other things can get them suspended. However, driving in the US with no insurance and suspended DL's is on the rise, as well as increased insurance costs for the rest of us. Obviously our system is getting a little weaker when it comes to enforcement of these issues. Add into that all of this irresponsibility, texting, talking on the phone, scratching their asses, or whatever they do nowadays, and it creates a very bad and dangerous situation for everyone.

Do you have a points' system as well?

All Virginia drivers start with zero points on their driving records. Virginia licensed drivers receive one positive (+1) point for every year of good driving. In-state drivers may receive positive five (+5) points by voluntarily completing a defensive driving school. However, this can only be done once every two years. Five points are the maximum positive points permitted by law in the state. As a result, the best driver point balance in Virginia is +5 points.

There are three categories of negative point violations: three demerit point violations, four demerit point violations, and six demerit point violations. Examples of six demerit point violations are DUI, reckless driving by speed, speeding in excess of eighty miles per hour, speeding in excess of twenty miles per hour, and driving on a suspended license. For instance, a Virginia licensed driver or resident convicted of DUI would receive six negative points on their driving record. If a person is convicted of more than one demerit point violation with the same offense date, then that person is assessed demerit points for the highest demerit point violation. For example, a person convicted of DUI and speeding seventy-nine miles per hour in a seventy mile per hour zone in Chesterfield County General District Court would be assessed six negative demerit points for the DUI conviction. No demerit points would be assessed for the speeding conviction.

va_pointSystem-1.png

There is no limit to the number of negative points a person may accumulate. A person who accumulates negative twelve demerit points in a twelve consecutive month period or negative twenty-four demerit points in an eighteen consecutive month period will be placed on probation. This probationary period lasts for six months. Any person convicted of a demerit point violation during the probationary period will have their license suspended for ninety days (six demerit point violations), sixty days (four demerit point violations), or forty-five days (three demerit point violations). For example, a person convicted of reckless driving by speed, who is on probation, will have their driver’s license suspended for ninety days because reckless driving by speed is a six demerit point violation. However, people suspended while on probation may be eligible to petition the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles for a restricted driver’s license.

A person who successfully makes it through the probationary period with no demerit point violations will, then, be placed on an eighteen month control period. A person who receives a demerit point violation during the control period will be placed back on a six month probationary period. Additionally, a person who violates probation will have their probation extended for an additional six months.

The best advice is to try to avoid being placed on probation. You should take even minor traffic infractions seriously because demerit points tend to sneak up on people. For example, a person with zero points who pays off three speeding tickets they received within the same year may be placed on probation. Experienced traffic attorneys, like the lawyers at Weiland Upton, know how to advise their clients to avoid the accumulation of demerit points from reckless driving and speeding tickets in Virginia.

Your insurance on car will also start to sky rock.

Unlicensed drivers get picked up pretty quick in the state of NSW (Australia). Every highway patrol car has ANPR (number plate cameras). It alerts the cop as soon as you pass their car.

That system also exists in the UK, at least since the beginning of the millenium. I remember seeing it in the Traffic Cops series in 2005, if I'm not mistaken. It's also called ANPR. :)

Unlicensed drivers get picked up pretty quick in the state of NSW (Australia). Every highway patrol car has ANPR (number plate cameras). It alerts the cop as soon as you pass their car.

Is it safe for him to look at the screen, when he drive. It must be equal safe for other to look on hands-free tablet.

@Viking, the more I know about the points' systems in other countries the more I'm intrigued as to why our system here in Portugal is the only one that works the other way around: drivers start with 12 points and lose them (instead of accumulating them) as they're caught commiting serious or very serious traffic violations. :confused:

Is it safe for him to look at the screen, when he drive. It must be equal safe for other to look on hands-free tablet.
I believe there are always two officers in the patrol car and it's the passenger who's in charge of checking the info on the screen. Plus, there's the audio alarm, they don't need to be looking at the screen all the time. :)

Here in SC USA it's like Module79 says- you begin with 12 points and you can drive as long as you have at last one point. Minor offenses (speeding less than 15 MPH over, failure to yield right-of-way, failure to obey signals or signs, following too closely etc are usually 4 point violations. Reckless driving, speeding 15 over+, and multiple simultaneous violations are usually 6 points. DUI, DUS, hit-and-run w/ no personal injury, or failure to carry adequate liability insurance are DL suspensions with the duration for lack of insurance is six months plus providing proof of insurance before re-licensing. 1st DUI/DUS is 1 year suspension; 2nd is two years, 3rd and any subsequent is 5 years minimum and can be set as far up as permanent. (DUI/DUS more than twice is a mandatory year in jail too!) Compiled violations leading to loss of all points is also a suspension, the duration being at least 90 days. Same for giving false information to the DMV or the arresting officer. Once suspended you have to re-take the entire driving test again (written and road testing) before being re-licensed. At the Court or Officer's discretion fewer points can be assessed for non-mandatory offenses. All these instances are for situations without serious personal injury involved- if someone gets seriously hurt the penalties can be raised. If someone gets killed it can become a Felony crime.

At any point in your life, you may ONCE take the state's Driver Safety course, which on successful completion will regain you 2 points. Any automatic suspension penalties are ineligible. If you sign up for this before trial you wont get suspended as long as you pass the course. I can't recall which, but either points or fines are doubled for CDL holders (truck drivers). If you are licensed in another State, SC will send then the trial info and non-mandatory points penalties are assessed by your home State while SC gets the fines. Mandatory points will be assessed equally percentage-wise by your home State based on whatever point system they use.

When applying for a license you fill in the name of your insurance company on the form. You do not need any other proof of insurance and the State does not check or verify that you are indeed insured. It is only when mandatory suspensions are involved that you must provide actual proof of insurance, and then only when you reapply for your DL. Some years back every one had to provide proof every time but not anymore. SC State themselves now estimate that about 1 in 5 vehicles bearing SC plates is uninsured, yet their own change in policy is the overwhelming cause of it and they will not acknowledge that :mad: There were ways to cheat the old system but they weren't well known. Now anyone can cheat and everyone knows how :oops: And even if you are insured to start and get dropped (non-payment of premiums, cancelled for legit reasons) the insurance companies do not notify the State who does not acknowledge such notifications anyway :eek: Only SR22 policies are scrutinized with loss of insurance being acted upon.

It costs like h3!! to be honest in SC, moreso if you want full coverage :sick: What we need here is another Ft Johnson and Gt Moultrie except this time aimed inward (y) Now is it any wonder that SC is the second most deadliest State to drive in? And is it any wonder who is responsible for us having so many uninsured drivers? :(

Phil

^^^ Hmmm, I think you've just convinced me that I've made my last trip to Myrtle Beach. ;)

I believe there are always two officers in the patrol car and it's the passenger who's in charge of checking the info on the screen. Plus, there's the audio alarm, they don't need to be looking at the screen all the time. :)
For the most there will only be one cop in the car here.

Back