Spy dash DVR setup

Raptile

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,

I'm looking for a setup that has multiple cameras (at least 2; better 4). [either multi-channel or seperate, doesnt matter]
My goal is to record all 4 sides of the vehicle while driving (mainly as proof for accidents)
Main concern: My car is parked on public roads 99% of the time. But i don't want to remove the cameras every day. Because of this they need to be as small/hidden as possible to minimize the risk of theft (cars often get broken into around here; if it happens it happens but i don't want to provoke it with huge cams sticking out.)

The best case scenario would be to have awesome quality recording with minimal size. I do NOT need any screen attached to the dash cams. Also NO audio is required; just video]
It should have cycle recording and should start when engine starts. (I like the very small spy cams like 808 #XX but dont think they can be pluged into a lighter socket of a car/ start with the engine/ cycle record?)
I like the LS300W but its way to big, mainly because of the screen. Are there cameras that give similar quality images with smaller design?
I imagine a setup with cameras separatly connected to a hub that is placed under a seat or somewhere. So the cameras themselves only have the optics and the rest is done by the hub or a computer under a seat or similar.
Tell me what you think. The cheaper the better but if a setup is good, price doesnt matter that much.
(I tried to search for it with google and on the forums but couldnt find what i was looking for.)

TL;DR:
-very small (almost hidden) camera setup (possibly camera optics and processing internals separated)
-no audio needed
-no screen needed
-good video quality prefered
-car dvr functionality (loop recording, start with engine) [mainly concerning spy cams]
-price is no major concern

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance

I have similar ideas for long time. Have very expensive iCaro B4 system ( top of the range in its class ), also one other cheaper Chinese 4ch stand alone car dvr tested, but now I found much better and more practical solution on 2, 4ch incar dvr systems. Buy 4 x Mobius along with lens extension cables and do some DIY.
Some ideas you may find from my rear dash camera DIY project:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2372

Similar way you can adopt Mobius to the sides.
It has very good video quality, stable firmware with constant fresh updates and its adopted as dash camera to start / stop recording upon ignition is switched on / off.
The only missing thing is motion detection recording / parking mode, but needed firmware update will be released soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 x 1080p30 hardware solution is in the pipeline, probably 12 months or more away though I would think

As jokiin is mentioned, standalone all in one 4ch x 1080p is far-future.
Best standalone system I know and I have myself as mentioned is iCaro B4.
You may check photos in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2171&p=23746&hilit=icaro+b4#p23746

It was state of the art few years ago and still advanced by functionality and discreetness in done way, but sadly max resolution us D1 30fps x 4ch. Daytime monitoring and driving, reading numberplates 2-4 meters is ok with it, but its no good at night.
So the best practical and cheapest solution today I can see 4 x Mobius.

Thank you for your quick replies.

I dont really need 4ch as i'm not planning to using this for immediate output. Im really just recording in case of accidents. So the best case that could happen is, i never have to view the footage :)

The mobius had reports of getting very hot. I dont really care about touching it but i'm a bit worried about stability. You said the firmware is frequently updated and very stable? Has the heat issue been fixed then? (Or at least improved?)
Also: silly question: Can the overheating lead to a fire burning down the car (during operation or - even worse - while parked)? Or am i just being paranoid?

How about the 808? Doesnt this look even more disguised as the mobius with the lense sticking out? Is the image quality much worse? I hear the heat issue exists just like on the mobius :/

Thanks so far :)

Raptile said:
Thank you for your quick replies.

I dont really need 4ch as i'm not planning to using this for immediate output. Im really just recording in case of accidents. So the best case that could happen is, i never have to view the footage :)

The mobius had reports of getting very hot. I dont really care about touching it but i'm a bit worried about stability. You said the firmware is frequently updated and very stable? Has the heat issue been fixed then? (Or at least improved?)
Also: silly question: Can the overheating lead to a fire burning down the car (during operation or - even worse - while parked)? Or am i just being paranoid?

How about the 808? Doesnt this look even more disguised as the mobius with the lense sticking out? Is the image quality much worse? I hear the heat issue exists just like on the mobius :/

Thanks so far :)

I have not had that big issue with over-hearing. I live in a mild weather region.
There is a suggestion to drill some extra holes for heat dissipation if needed:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1751&p=24162&hilit=mobius+drill+holes#p24162

I have not heard of 808 or Mobius burning down the car. They are both high quality products with good QC control.

Most recent and more detailed info you can find from rcgroups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st25170901

Awesome. I just ordered 2 mobius.
If they work well for what i have in mind i will order another 2.

Thanks for the help

Raptile said:
Awesome. I just ordered 2 mobius.
If they work well for what i have in mind i will order another 2.

Thanks for the help

Your location is Germany, as I understand?
There should not be so hot out there, so I dont think you will have an overheating issues.
Also I recommend you to order an OTG cable to operate mobius via smart phone, - really convenient.

Thats good to know. I will look out for that.

Well... Germany isnt super hot per se but it can get around 30-35°C (100°F?). My car is black so it tends to get very hot in summer at least. (50°C and more in the sun). But i will check it out. Thx for the advice. I will come back when i need some more :)

niko said:
It has very good video quality, stable firmware with constant fresh updates and its adopted as dash camera to start / stop recording upon ignition is switched on / off.
The only missing thing is motion detection recording / parking mode, but needed firmware update will be released soon.

My contractor friend wants to setup a motion camera on job sites to catch people steeling his tools when he's gone for Lunch etc. (non car application) I recommended the Mobius thinking it did motion detection. Do you know when and if the motion detection firmware update is for sure coming? I'll do some more searching. He would use it as a DashCam after he's done with the catch a thief operation. Maybe I should just have him get a mini 0801 then. (I've never tried the Motion detection on it yet though)

JazJon said:
niko said:

My contractor friend wants to setup a motion camera on job sites to catch people steeling his tools when he's gone for Lunch etc. (non car application) I recommended the Mobius thinking it did motion detection. Do you know when and if the motion detection firmware update is for sure coming? I'll do some more searching. He would use it as a DashCam after he's done with the catch a thief operation. Maybe I should just have him get a mini 0801 then. (I've never tried the Motion detection on it yet though)

He still can buy Mobius for this purpose. If you start calculating that at max 1080p 30fps 32gb ( 18mbps ) can record about 3h ( +/- ). I guess normal lunch duration is usually 1h. So he can have 3 x lunches before memory card will be full :)
As this case is about steeling ( not numberplate readings ), then no need to use 1080p. To recognise a faces will be enough 720p as well, - this way 32gb will last much longer.
Later on when motion detection option will be available, - he can update it.
I will recommend also buying OTG cable for quick and easy incar settings set-up, video viewing on smart phone, etc. Also battery discharge device as well.

Adding:
Didnt pay attention on non-car use and wrongly recommended battery discharge device.
If used outside of car and not close to wall power socket. Then can buy external battery pack of different capacity depending on his needs, they are fairly cheap.
Also mobius can be used outside in rain if buy optional water-proof case ( check mobius accessories from dealers ).

Back