ST High Performance 3-Axis G-sensor ... what for ?

StfLA

Reaction score
Country
France
I think everything is in the subject.
What is this G-sensor used for ?

for dash cam functionality - when cam detects high G-load, it locks the video.

Could it be used for on the fly image stabilization?

for dash cam functionality - when cam detects high G-load, it locks the video.
Thanks Andy_S,
And it's already used in the Yi ? I don't see any dashcam functionality.

When I received my Yi Cam, it has 1.0.2 firmware. If you connect the USB cable the cam cant do nothing else then recharge.
Today i upgraded it to 1.2.12 firmaware and I see now, you can connect USB to give power, meanwhile you can use the cam to record.
On the "YI community" I've see a video about using this cam as "dash cam" but since it was in chinese, I cant tell if was just a sort of primordial-attempt.
I'm not expert, but a really usable dash cam shold have an option like: "start/stop record with external power", right?

Could it be used for on the fly image stabilization?
Would say "not probable/not usefull".
There are 2 components in stabilization.
1) is when camera is shaked horizontally or vertically. This can be stabilized if the sensor has an amount of "unused" pixel all around the border. Stabilizing software on board will see you are panning away and keep the image at center using the extra part of sensor.
2) is when the camera is rotated, pointing away from the subject. This stabilization is present only on expensive cameras (over 500$) and is done with 3-axis sensor in combination with a "motorized" optics. The sensor feels the rotation and instantly correct lenses angle.

This stabilization is present only on expensive cameras (over 500$)
as100v or dsc-wx220 price is not 500$ .
in as100v digital stabilization in wx220 optical and digital.

Guys I don't know but this 3 - axis **** is working but not in the good way, it is for preventing to switch the camera off when the camera feels that it is falling down from a very long distance i.e. when you mounted it on the quadcopter, I've exerienced this FEATURE twice while FPV with my V262 quad, and yes the camera stopped by it self and I had 98% battery ???

1) "as100v or dsc-wx220 price is not 500$ "
-> ok, to make short I've told just a random price, just to give the idea. Depend about what we are talking about: sport camera... handy camera? A more appropiate sentence would be: "optical stabilization in not usually avaiable in entry-level camcorder, you will see it in the mid-hi gamma, with a sensible gap of price". Sony actions cams are really apart, on this point.

2) "Ambarella A7LS includes electronic stabilization"
-> glad to hear this. I dont know if Xiaomi firmware already use it. From my first experiments, would say no. But the good point is the sensor has a lot of features, lets hope they will keep to improve this cam.

3) "it is for preventing to switch the camera off when it is falling"
-> same doubt as point n.2. If Xiaomi cam is using stabilization, or 3 axis sensor etc... why there isnt an option to enable/disable it in the menu?
And what would be the purpose in doing this? To stop SD writing before a possible crash? And why only "when falling form a long distance"? A falling from a desk is dangerous too. Anyway, It should be configurable in the menu...

There is an option in the config for "emergency_file_backup" and "loop_record" (don't know if in mobile app, but in my C&C for sure)

loop_record enables recording in sequences (smaller filles, until the memory card is full, then erases oldest file for space and writes newest video instead of that - dashcam functionality)

emergency_file_backup happens on excessive G-force (hence the sensor) and locks actual video so it won't be deleted in that run.

as i said - it is used in dashcam mode :)

Back