stabbing at new SG products

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I have been given the chance to beat on some of the new SG products, will be interesting to see if i can get those to die like i have been so "un" fortunate to be able to do with other cameras lately ( 0906 and the SJdash )

So i pretty much wiped my windscreen yesterday and started with a clean slate,,,, well sort of slate my windscreen are pretty raped and i would like to get a new one,,,, maybe next year.

So right now i have put in the SG9663DC on the prime center spot as it will be my go to camera for my little videos on youtube, on its left i have placed the SG9665GCX2

Installing the rear "DC" camera i had to get creative, as it is it would be possible to mount on the frame around my rear window, but then the location of the USB plug ruin that, so again i had to rely on my magnet and then flip the camera 90 degrees to install just like any other camera i have had back there in the past years.
Other than that installing the 2 cameras was a breeze ( soft install with provided PSU )
Later on i will probably upgrade to the hard wire kit and so for the first time be able to use parking guard.

So here is a little 50/50 split screen recording i made today.
Its clear to see there is quite a difference in how the 2 cameras handle things, the DC have quite saturated colors the GCX2 are pretty neutral, personally i think the sweet color spot are somewhere in the middle.

It is the SG9663DC on top here, the SG9665GCX2 below.

Youtube footage rape.

DL of the raw footage after edit in pinnacle studio 20 ultimate ( 40 mbit )

https://mega.nz/#!XtJmBJSQ!NB5NEhpz_TsWOvUbHwV6RvVXTWDPCZFaEKmJzJc78Hc

And the 3 freeze frames of the footage as Jpegs.

jpeg1.JPG
jpeg2.JPG
jpeg3.JPG

Needless to say more of this stuff will follow in the time to come :cool:

have to keep in mind the SGGCX2 that you have has a test lens that we are evaluating which is not the same as the production lenses that customers have so the results of that one will be a little different

Aaa good to know, i did see during edit that the lens are not as wide FOV as the DC one, and i was wondering a little why, though also not sure if it would be a + having the same lenses thru out the product range.

Also seeing no SN number on the GCX2 should have made some bells ring.
It is marginal but i like the more narrow FOV on that test lens.

it's not a lens that we will be using on that model, we just used that model so we could complete our tests

the test lens feel good, i have noticed a little difference in how the 2 cameras handle low sun reflections in windscreens of oncoming cars, but unsure if it is a result of the different lens or the not quite the same mounting and so direction of the cameras.
Also it is after all 2 different sensors too.

The middle mounted DC do have a little more of the left A pillar than the right, i seem to get them installed that way all the time, the GCX2 is to its left with a 1 inch or so gap in between the 2 and so it should be pointing even more to the left following the contour of the windscreen.

It would be interesting to see night time comparison videos as well.

I will do that too.
But the custom lens on the GCX2 we better keep in mind too.
Not that i think its a wonder lens that make a dramatic difference compared to GCX2 cameras with the production lens, but just to keep things in order i better remember to tell about that in the future.

Also nice to know SG have their eye on the little things and constantly seek to improve on their arsenal of equipment. (y)

I will do that too.
But the custom lens on the GCX2 we better keep in mind too.
Not that i think its a wonder lens that make a dramatic difference compared to GCX2 cameras with the production lens, but just to keep things in order i better remember to tell about that in the future.

Also nice to know SG have their eye on the little things and constantly seek to improve on their arsenal of equipment. (y)
agreed. The GCX2 seems to render more detail. As a photographer, I know how much difference a good lens can make. If you test with a particular lens that happens to be of better quality than the one that ends up being used in production, it would seem you blow all your picture quality pre-testing out the window. I also agree with finding a better color saturation sweet spot. My DC is a bit too saturated and sometimes looks like Alice in wonderland.

I think as soon as the hard wire kit get out there, and functionality with that are good, then the guys will probably start focusing on image quality.

#1 is functionality and reliability, after that come IQ adjustments, ATM its pretty default IQ settings as far as i know.

The screenshots are confusing as the clips are not in sync.

yes but cant make it closer as the are differences in lenses and camera location, the bottom GCX2 have a narrower FOV

The top DC footage are the middle 50%, taking out 25% above and below, but due to location /lens ASO the GCX2 footage i had to cut out the top 28% and the lower 22% to get a fairly good matching middle 50%

I mean the editing. For example, in the first segment of the clip, the DC is 2 frames ahead of the X2.

yes its hard to nail i think i had better luck with the other 2 segments.
As general i use some feature at the edge of the footage, but that just give you a ballpark location if the 2 cameras have different FOV, after that you need to fine tune.

yes its hard to nail i think i had better luck with the other 2 segments.
As general i use some feature at the edge of the footage, but that just give you a ballpark location if the 2 cameras have different FOV, after that you need to fine tune.

Shadows and reflections...

Post edited 09042018 with new video footage.

Just finished a little drive in and around town.

DL footage.
https://mega.nz/#!nl5CCD5B!KaFMS7jtPcaYqDakd4dCsc2COH2dsJ7tKnwMM29JFkk

To be honest i think i better wipe the lens of the GCX2, not quite sure if its it or windscreen in front of it.
Cleaned windscreen and other car windows inside and out before my drive yesterday, will repeat that tomorrow with even more care.

Be advised the SG9665GCX2 are fitted with a experimental lens, it is a little different from the factory one on this model.

Last edited:
Back