Starburst effect at night.

TheYeti

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just bought the 66w and I like it other then the starburst effect of all lights at night...see no way of adjusting this. Anyone else have this issue?

1. Check to make sure you removed the protective plastic film that usually is on the lens of new cameras when shipped.
  2. Make sure your windshield is properly clean inside and out.
  3. It would be helpful if you could post a screen shot or two to show the problem you are describing.

1. Check to make sure you removed the protective plastic film that usually is on the lens of new cameras when shipped.
  2. Make sure your windshield is properly clean inside and out.
  3. It would be helpful if you could post a screen shot or two to show the problem you are describing.
Film is off and I do private detailing so the window is clean as a whistle. I will post some pics soon when I get a chance. But it’s basically like a starburst filter on a lense. It’s not horrible...but I’ve seen other videos with other cameras like on YouTube and didn’t notice that.

Are you using a CPL filter? Some auto glass and tint film already has polarizing, and combining another one with it can lead to wierd effects.

Phil

Hmmm I don’t know. It’s a brand new 2020 Honda CR-V ex. I’ll try and look something up.

If you don't have a CPL fitted to the camera it shouldn't matter. Having one polarizer works fine but you can't have more than one.

Phil

Ok....didn’t know what a cpl was to be honest. Sorry about that.

Film is off and I do private detailing so the window is clean as a whistle.
What sort of polish have you spread all over the glass to cause optical issues?

Reactions: Mtz
A polarized tint and a CPL filter will often give a rainbow like effect, dirt / dew ASO will make street lights "bloom"
Personally i dont mind that all too much as i assume street lights remain where they are, the light on other cars are a bit more worrying, but nothing to do here but start a vigorous windscreen cleaning regime.

I am still not good at cleaning my car windows, but after i have gotten into dashcams i do it a lot more often, and i often wonder how i was able to see anything back when i was a smoker and only "cleaned" my glass in winter time and only to be able to see anything at all.
And even if i dont smoke anymore, or have smokers in my car, it is clear that a lot of stuff still find its way to the windscreen.

I am still not good at cleaning my car windows, but after i have gotten into dashcams i do it a lot more often,........

The entire dash cam industry is really just a plot devised by a secret cartel of windshield washer fluid manufacturers for the purpose of selling more washer fluid! :smuggrin:

Have not noticed this on my dc55 and dc56 but they are using a different, narrower angle lens.

Have not noticed this on my dc55 and dc56 but they are using a different, narrower angle lens.
Doesn't make much difference if the glass is not smooth, normally starburst is caused either by wiper blade scratches in the glass, in which case they curve with the path of the wiper blades, or by some sort of polish applied to the glass.

I will post some pics soon when I get a chance.
We can probably diagnose the problem when you post the images...

Since this is a new 2020 vehicle the windshield is likely to be pristine unless it has some sort of flaw.

With my older pick-up truck though, I had a similar issue with starbursts and blooms with bright lights at night. Living in a rural mountainous area on a dirt road it is very common around here to end up with thousands of tiny pock marks in the glass from windblown particles such as sand, road grit or even from the salt that is applied to icy roads in winter time. After my windshield got quite bad I had it replaced and the difference in my dash cam video quality was quite astonishing! The glass shop guy said, "We get a lot of these in here".

@lacibaci's suggestion makes good sense. Perhaps even with a new vehicle the glass may have a problem?

Last edited:
D850D42E-2F10-43E1-A5A9-BC328D2953FA.jpegSo here is a screenshot of what I’m seeing. Again...the glass and lens are clean. The windshield doesn’t look like it in the pic for some reason but it is.

If that is normal I’m ok with it, I was just curious. Thanks.

Back