Static in A119S Audio

The Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S
My A119S is my first dash cam. I'd rate picture quality is excellent, especially since fitting a glare filter. Audio quality, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. Namely, there's a lot of what sounds like electrical interference in the form of clicks, pops and crackles when I play the videos back on my PC. This happens with videos made in both my 2005 Mercedes SLK350 using a regular mount and my 2010 Mercedes GLK350 using a GPS mount.

I'm certain it's not from the car's sound system. For one thing, they sound fine and, more importantly, the noises are there even when the car's stereo is off.

The interval between the noises remains relatively constant, regardless of RPM, so they don't seem to be ignition related. Plus, the chances of both cars having the same issue seem slim.

I can't see them being caused by something outside the car as they occur, a second or two apart, at all times.

Speed and road roughness don't seem to be factors either. The noises are there even when stopped and idling. I'm inclined to think that, if it was a contact issue between the lighter socket and the plug, it would be worse on rough roads and over speed bumps and would affect the video quality as well.

Bottom line, I have no clue as to cause or possible cure. Any ideas would be appreciated.

if there's any movement on the mount that can be enough to vibrate and cause issues in the audio

some memory cards can be susceptible to induced noise so trying a different make and model of card can sometimes alleviate electrically induced noise

of course there's a chance the mic has a fault but I'd check the other things first and see how it goes

Thanks. Just tried recording a short video at my desk with the camera stationary. Same noises, so don't think it's the mounts. Need to get a smaller card anyway to install the latest firmware as the current one is 64gb and, according to the manual, 32gb is max for doing that. So I'll see if either or both of those changes help.

64gb card should work just fine as long as it formatted to a FAT32. I updated my cameras with 64gb card because I don't have a smaller one. I didn't even remove my Mp3's from it, just copied the firmware file to a root. :)

I've experienced a bit of this too. more of a loose connect crackle. I've tightened up the mount and well see what happens :)
CRS

Well, I switched cards and updated the firmware. Crackling, popping noises are still there. This with the camera sitting stationary on my desk. As long as there's any sound being recorded the noises are there. Only time they stop is if the room is completely silent. Beginning to think it might be the mic.

Well, I switched cards and updated the firmware. Crackling, popping noises are still there. This with the camera sitting stationary on my desk. As long as there's any sound being recorded the noises are there. Only time they stop is if the room is completely silent. Beginning to think it might be the mic.
I think there is definitely a bad component in there,,,especially with the changes you made, and the fact that it crackles while on your desk. maybe have them send you an exchange, and in the mean time, at least you have video, minus good audio to record your drives.
CRS

the camera is one thing, the player you play your video/audio with is another one.
what player do you use?
can you play just for a test your video on a different computer?

I have found Windows Media Player to induce crackling in the audio track on some dash cams (Dome cameras in particular). I Would try a different player and see if it's still there.

Last edited:
the camera is one thing, the player you play your video/audio with is another one.
what player do you use?
can you play just for a test your video on a different computer?

I have found Windows Media Player to induce crackling in the audio track on some dash cams (Dome cameras in particular). I Would try a different player and see if it's still there.

We have a winner! Two, in fact. Was using Windows Media Player. Tried Quick Time, VLC Media Player, and whatever Firefox uses as it's native video player. No static sounds with any of them, although video quality suffers a bit with some of them. Still, I consider the problem to be solved. My sincere thanks to all.

Back