Stayed in Continuous instead of Parking Mode and drained battery

V52GC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Thinkware F770 did something really strange today!
It's hardwired into my 2014 Honda Civic and has worked flawlessly for over a year now, Parking Mode working fine, turning itself off when the voltage is low.
But this morning I went to my car to start it and it wouldn't start. Then the camera started telling me as usual continuous recording will start so I quickly unplugged it thinking the battery was low in the cold. Still no luck starting. I have to leave the car now to grab bus to go to work.
Get back home and call AA who come and check battery, car jumps start no problem.
As I'm leaving it running to charge I decide to check the files on the camera, maybe it didn't shut off from parking mode. But the last files are from where it was parked previously.
I go to continuous to check the voltage display and find all these files, it had recorded in continuous all night and pulled the battery down to 6V...
I then test the camera and pull the ACC cable out the fuse box and it goes into parking mode as it should.
In summary, I parked at work, camera went into Parking Mode, Camera turned off due to low Voltage. Drove home, camera recorded in Continuous. Parked the car as usual and walked away. Camera must have remained in continuous. This is where I'm confused though as the last file from the morning is when I pulled out the main power cable to quickly turn the camera off; BUT the file just before in the continuous folder stops as soon as I try turn on the car for the first time. So it stopped Continuous when I first tried to start the car and then turned Continuous on as usual with ignition.

I suppose my question is has this happened to anybody else or is it just a blip? (seeing as I quickly tested it while running the engine to charge the battery and it went into Parking Mode fine).
I just feel like I'm going to have to wait and make sure it goes into parking time every time now...

Sorry for the long post, but for such a good camera I was very surprised it let me down! Was it a circuit in the car? Was it the camera? just very odd.

Thanks

Not sure about the dashcam malfunctioning itself, no experience with that model.
Daily Parking Mode will wear down a vehicle's normal battery life expectancy. A battery meant to last 5 years may only last a couple now for example. How old is the battery and do you record 24/7 or have a timed cut-off as well?
You might want to invest in the largest capacity battery you can fit into your Civic.

does the thinkware have its own power management or was it something extra you bought?

Another thought, maybe you have the low voltage cut-off set too low. 11.x/anything is too low, should set to 12.3 or higher if possible.

Back