Stealth mode / A slightly more discrete G90

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Well here is this mornings test.

I noticed from outside the car the silver ring around the G90 made it really stand out - if it was black it would have been better IMHO.

So, I picked up some black camoflage paint from the local car place last night and had a go at this today.

In hindsight the paint should have been left to set overnight - I've picked it up too early so there are fingerprints on there, but I'm not that bothered as it does the job but remember to do this properly give it time and use less paint than I did :)

It's got five paint coats in total but I should have left it a day before putting it all back together - d'oh!

IMG_1167.JPG IMG_1168.JPG IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1170.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

In hindsight it would be easiest to just do the removable lens cap but at least way the whole front is now matte :)

You could have saved yourself fitting the 'Huggy Bear' shag pile carpet on the dash board and used five coats of that stuff instead!:p

Last edited:
A DIY flock could have been underway! It would have probably worked but I don't think it would have been quite so easy to sell on then :p

A DIY flock could have been underway! It would have probably worked but I don't think it would have been quite so easy to sell on then :p
If the camera is less easy to sell on then people are less likely to steal it! Flock would also help stop the sun's heat from getting into the camera.

(I guess you weren't thinking of the camera though...)

One of these wind jammers might be taking flocking to the extreme:

Wind_Jammer_400.jpg

:)

OMG! Reverend. I'm trying to figure out if the paint you used is like syrup or you just applied too thick a coat. When I paint dash cams I use Rust-Oleum Specialty Camouflage Paint which works beautifully but requires several thin coats for the best finish. The product is available in the US and Canada but I'm not sure about the UK. Nigel's right though, nobody is likely to steal it now. :rolleyes: .......and it does look a lot more stealthy!

Yeah I used way too much mate on that first coat - I felt like this guy:

It's still drying and doesn't look that bad tbh and definitely doesn't stand out like it did before so it's a bit better :)

OMG! Reverend. I'm trying to figure out if the paint you used is like syrup or you just applied too thick a coat. When I paint dash cams I use Rust-Oleum Specialty Camouflage Paint which works beautifully but requires several thin coats for the best finish. The product is available in the US and Canada but I'm not sure about the UK. Nigel's right though, nobody is likely to steal it now. :rolleyes: .......and it does look a lot more stealthy!
Yep, he's just got to repaint his VW CC in the same way and no-one would steal it then either!!:p

Yep, he's just got to repaint his VW CC in the same way and no-one would steal it then either!!:p

You're right! I think Rev's best best now is to buy a gallon can or two of flat black paint and a big house painting brush and then paint everything. This would include the exterior of the car, and the interior.....with special emphasis on the dashboard!

It's got that many stone chips on it that would probably be an improvement :p

If I could get a paint job (and the car) like this I'd be more than happy:

matte%20black%20ferrari-resized-600.jpg

The finish on that Ferrari is how the camera was 'sposed to look! ;) I guess, I'd take a car like that too but I think it needs a black interior for the total Darth look.

I'm sat here looking at the front of my GT680W and tempted to have another go......

I'm sat here looking at the front of my GT680W and tempted to have another go......

I believe you've seen my older thread from several months ago where I "stealthified" my GT680W, so if you attempt this keep in mind that you will need to tangle with the rubberized silicone finish on the camera housing if you expect the paint to adhere properly. As I explain in the thread and you can see in the photos, it's quite doable but a bit challenging and can be a bit messy.

Edit: The photos in this other thread do a good job of showing off the final results of the finish I achieved. One nice thing I've noticed with the Rust-O-Leum Camo paint is that after it has cured for about a week the finish is quite durable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually just reading it then mate! I've decided to tools down for the day and watch a film instead so it's safe to live another day thank-you :D

Yours does look ace though!

Well here is this mornings test.

I noticed from outside the car the silver ring around the G90 made it really stand out - if it was black it would have been better IMHO.

So, I picked up some black camoflage paint from the local car place last night and had a go at this today.
So where is the camera, all i see is something black...:p
Good news and bad news,
bad news is that silver ring is removable from inside...
good news is that this black paint is awesome, my matte black paint is high gloss compared to yours.

I was actually just reading it then mate! I've decided to tools down for the day and watch a film instead so it's safe to live another day thank-you :D

Yours does look ace though!

Thanks!....and a good plan for the day. You've done more than enough for now, mate! :p

Well at least the paint hid the writing :p

I never thought to see if the ring was removable - makes perfect sense it would be!

Some of those pictures are with the flash on too so it is nice and matte, I found it by accident and some forum reviews said it was actually quite good!

The did have some nice pearlescent paints so maybe I should do one of the cams up in that :)

It's this one:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...s/halfords-camouflage-spray-paint-black-300ml

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same thing rebranded mate as I was looking for some of the ones you'd recommended and they're quite hard to get hold of over here.

I was like a little kid as soon as that spray paint started going off! It's amazing it turned out half as well as it actually did with how much I was spraying everywhere :)

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same thing rebranded mate as I was looking for some of the ones you'd recommended and they're quite hard to get hold of over here.

I was like a little kid as soon as that spray paint started going off! It's amazing it turned out half as well as it actually did with how much I was spraying everywhere :)

I was thinking the same thing that it is probably a licensed rebranded product. I don't know what they do but it is noticeably "stealthier" and somehow less reflective than regular flat black paint. Behind the factory tinted windshield in my Toyota in most lighting conditions my cameras are very hard to see.

It's true what you said about spray paint being fun! By coincidence, I purchased four cans of spray paint yesterday for various restoration projects I'm in the midst of such as refurbishing some coach lamps and refinishing a wrought iron outdoor cafe table and chairs so my day today is all about spray painting! In fact, I'm posting on DCT just at the moment while a (thin) first coat dries. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M G90 4