Stealth Mounts

Tony lovelock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422gw/Nextbase 212G & möbius C3 wide angle lens

Just stumbled across these low profile mounts on eBay for a very reasonable price, not only do they do low profile mounts but also low profile mounts to accept the Gps module on the recent gear models. May consider purchasing a few of these for a discreet look in the near future.

You're the DCT "Hero Of The Day" with a find like that Tony :cool: If they use the right plastic these should go bigtime- much neater than stock mounts (y)

Phil

You're the DCT "Hero Of The Day" with a find like that Tony :cool: If they use the right plastic these should go bigtime- much neater than stock mounts (y)

Phil

they're 3D printed so I'm not sure how they'll hold up in the longer term, in their ads they even state they're not suited to being removed often

I really like the basic design concept here but I'm skeptical that they will hold up well, especially the ball joint positioning after a few or so adjustments. The fellow who designed these obviously doesn't live on a bumpy dirt road as I do or he would realize there needs to be a way to tighten adjustments after aiming a dash camera. Maybe he'll introduce a threaded tightening nut eventually as that is likely something that might also be 3D printed into the design.

There are many plastics for printing. The right ones with the right dimensions could make for a good mount; the wrong choices will fail quickly. A nice concept anyway, and if these prove popular then maybe a plastics molder will do something similar with conventional means :D 3-D printing is nice for small projects but is not viable for large production even in dashcam terms of scale.

Phil

I think I prefer the pseudo locknut. They do say to glue the ball but not sure I like that idea. Future removal could be difficult. If you don't glue the ball then I can see vibration coming back as per the footage we've already seen.

Be interesting to see some live footage once fitted.

Yeah I did hear the guy mention that once you are happy with the final position of the dash cam then it is visible to glue it into position. As mentioned above without glue would this cause severe vibration? The only way to find out is to purchase one I guess lol, I like the threaded mount idea on one of these low profile mounts but also handy that these mounts accept the Gps module also. At least someone is out there designing these mounts as imho the standard nextbase windscreen sucker mounts are horrendous & hang to low in the windscreen for my liking. :whistle:

I agree. Why Nextbase don't sell the adhesive mounts that come in the box beats me.

Only the ugly 'won hung lo' sucker mounts in their shop.

I asked Tiffany from nextbase on the forum for a spare adhesive mount to accept the Gps module on my 412gw & she quite happily sent one out in the post. I think nextbase should start selling the adhesive mounts as a permanent fixed solution in windscreens for £10 in Halfords etc. I have the sucker windscreen mount handy if I swap vehicles etc but rarely use it tbh. May be worth messaging Tiffany and asking if nextbase are considering selling the adhesive mounts for the gw range in the near future.

Instead of a 'glue' I'd use a tiny dab of silicone sealer. It will stick and hold well in use yet release it's bond when you want to move it :cool: "Tiny" is the keyword, any more than a ball the diameter of a pencil lead will probably end up being permanent. It's my favorite 'cure' for loose adjustable mounts :)

Phil

I bought one of these on 22nd September 2017, but stopped using it after about 3 weeks once I was able to get the 612GW better located centrally than my first efforts.

It worked fine, and would again no doubt - I still have it in the glove box.
mount.jpg

What about placing blue tac inside the ball mount on the stealth mount once in position? Have you got any pictures you put in here Paul of the stealth mount with size comparison to the original nextbase gw mount? Just to get an idea etc. Cheers

No pics, but if I can get someone to hold it against the windscreen while I get a pic I will try.

I found the ball socket to be very tight so no need for blue tac Tony.

No pics, but if I can get someone to hold it against the windscreen while I get a pic I will try.

I found the ball socket to be very tight so no need for blue tac Tony.

The problem with this design and with the material it is made from is that with each adjustment it will very likely become looser and looser until there is a problem. The maker of these mounts must be aware of that or he wouldn't advise the use of glue. Additionally, if you drive over bumpy roads there is a good chance that the mount will loosen by itself without any further adjustments. Living on a mountain road I've had this happen even with some mounts that have a locking nut.

I agree. The ball mount isn't as solid as I'd like. BluTak has helped though but shouldn't be needed.

I was surprised by the reduction in ball size from my 402 as the smaller the ball the less the grip.

Yeah i noticed that the ball size was larger on the 402g as I had one in the past before the internal battery failed on numerous occasions, looks like nextbase had a total re think on the mounts etc being magnetic etc and reduced the ball mount size aswell.

Back