Stealth & Plain Black Front Dash Cam

I think it will leave some fine scratches though?

Not sure if glass fibre pencil will leave scratches behind or not
Sandpaper will leave scratches, glass fibre pencils will leave scratches plus a polished surface, difficult to get it looking good. The scotchpad will naturally leave an even texture on the plastic surface with no scratches, a fine or maybe medium scotchpad will leave a texture similar to the factory finish, not identical but it won't stand out as much as scratches or a glossy finish.

Hey guys

I am into having a stealth and hard(er) to notice front dash cam, but Blackvue is definitely very bad in that since they have lots of text printed on the front of the camera and shinny golden ring around the lens!

The question is, did anyone try or have any idea about covering all that and having a plain black camera?

Either a temporary solution that could be taken off once you decide to sell the camera, or a permanent one. Both are fine with me

Any thoughts?

View attachment 43448
It's made for Korea and other Asian markets where people are not gonna break into your car to steal it. Unlike the US, in Asia people respect others property. I would say in some countries you can leave a laptop in the backseat and nothing will happen. In the States, it will take about 10 minutes before some thug decides its his. From a marketing perspective the dash cam companies would be better off making plain black versions for certain markets. Maybe the logo can be visible from the inside but not seen throught the front window.

To solve your problem, the best solution IMO is to just spray a light coat of Plastidip over the logo. You don't need to dip the whole cam.

It's made for Korea and other Asian markets where people are not gonna break into your car to steal it. Unlike the US, in Asia people respect others property. I would say in some countries you can leave a laptop in the backseat and nothing will happen. In the States, it will take about 10 minutes before some thug decides its his. From a marketing perspective the dash cam companies would be better off making plain black versions for certain markets. Maybe the logo can be visible from the inside but not seen throught the front window.

To solve your problem, the best solution IMO is to just spray a light coat of Plastidip over the logo. You don't need to dip the whole cam.

Thanks for your input, but I disagree with the generalization above, both in US and Korea there are plenty of good and bad people, but anyways, this is not our main subject.

The reason I am looking for stealth look is not to avoid thief’s, its to avoid security people attention at government facilities gates/restricted access areas ... etc, where they might give you a hard time regarding taking pictures/recording. Thats all

I agree with you though to the printed text should be on the side facing the driver, not the windshield

Are you lot telling me that by covering up the front logo will prevent Mr thief from noticing your dashcam? If that's what you really think, then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

if properly applied, a typical strip of black electric tape will cover logos with the most minimal effort, and still leave logos intact if you need to return/trade/sell.

more important for 'stealth' installation is mounting location, as any suction/adhesive mounted directly onto windshield glass is highly visible and a dead give away of an installed accessory.
if possible, try mounting under the panel surround of the rear view mirror, and at a greater distance from windshield (without compromising dashcam view). another alternative is the billet aluminum mount previously suggested. these positions are less readily visible.

The main problem with using electrical tape is that in the heat the glue will become tacky and can leave a terrible mess when/if you try to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main problem with using electrical tape is that in the heat the glue will become tacky and can leave a terrible mess when/if you try to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easily addressed with Goo Gone (y)
surface area for coverage is also quite small

About 4 years ago I used a fibre stick to remove the lettering from my old mini 0803 camera, you can see the the pictures I posted in this thread from then around half way down page 2.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/disassembly-inside-mini-0803.6310/page-2

Nice! I like the end result

e05837d086a2de5a3e07fb09f4a7d047.jpg

Back