Stereo dash cam with image sensors with MIPI CSI - 2 output

sgoda

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,
I've been looking for a dash cam with the following specifications.
  1. Stereo
  2. The sensors have MIPI CSI - 2 video out IF
  3. Near infrared (NIR) sensors

The first two criteria are absolute must, the 3rd would be a nice to have. Does any of you know a commercial dash cam with such specifications? I'd really much appreciate any help.
Thanks a lot!

I doubt you can find a commercial camera let alone dashcam with those specs.
I also assume that the wide angle of dashcams would negate the stereo vision in some degree ( guesstimating here )
And if dashcams have a video out it are AV or in best case HDMI

I would think you have to look for machine vision cameras to get something like that and with CSI 2 interface.

I have one in my car!

What are you planning on doing with it?

I doubt you can find a commercial camera let alone dashcam with those specs.
I also assume that the wide angle of dashcams would negate the stereo vision in some degree ( guesstimating here )
And if dashcams have a video out it are AV or in best case HDMI

I would think you have to look for machine vision cameras to get something like that and with CSI 2 interface.

Thanks a lot for the answer, Kamkar1. I might have been not totally clear on what I was looking for. The image sensor should have an MIPI CSI-2 video out, not the dashcam itself. E.g. the image sensor is connected to the baseboard over this IF, so when I remove the baseboard, I can hookup a different board which has an MIPI CSI input.

I have one in my car!

What are you planning on doing with it?
Hello Nigel,
what kind of cam is that you're having in your car? I'm planning on removing the baseboard and hookup a custom board to the image sensors.

Hello Nigel,
what kind of cam is that you're having in your car? I'm planning on removing the baseboard and hookup a custom board to the image sensors.
Unfortunately it is a prototype and not currently on sale, so I can't tell you at the moment, although it may well be suitable for your purpose.

MIPI CSI-2 is a common interface for dashcam sensors, and most are also decent in near IR if you remove the IR-Cut filter, so your problem I guess is just finding a dashcam with two lenses in a suitable position for stereo? Or maybe you could use two dashcams side by side? Two Viofo A129S might work?

Unfortunately it is a prototype and not currently on sale, so I can't tell you at the moment, although it may well be suitable for your purpose.

MIPI CSI-2 is a common interface for dashcam sensors, and most are also decent in near IR if you remove the IR-Cut filter, so your problem I guess is just finding a dashcam with two lenses in a suitable position for stereo? Or maybe you could use two dashcams side by side? Two Viofo A129S might work?

I certainly need a stereo dash cam, single ones combined isn't a viable alternative. It's been harder to find a stereo dash cam with sensors having the MIPI CSI 2 IF than I thought. Sony has a nice fleet of such sensors but mostly for surveillance applications, while the imx 323 that's popular in car dash cams doesn't have the required IF. If you can point to any specific dash cam with the specs I listed, I'd really much appreciate it.

Yeah i think i sidetracked myself a little there too.
I am not sure what protocol are used in the dashcams for in between the sensor board and the rest of the camera, but Nigel seem to know a little more about this.
Either way if you narrow something specific down you will have to buy 2 whole cameras and strip them for the sensor boards, cuz there are no dashcam with 2 lenses like that out there.
There are a few Uber style cameras with 2 lenses where you can swivel the one lens back and forth to either film the cabin or out forward too, but these in general seem to deploy lesser sensors.
And like with all dashcams no way in hell to say what protocol are used inside as no makers speak about that in their documentation, not even brands that actually provide worth while documentation.

And then we are back to you having to buy 2 board cameras that should be easy to do and be sure they have that output format.
As i understand it the wire that come off the sensor boards you cant have too long before it start to have a negative effect, the remote lens kit you can get for the Mobius cameras only let you distance the sensor board of that camera to the rest of the camera with 10 - 15 CM.
But no telling what protocol the Mobois use, and their sensors are also not the most stunning performer in the NIR field.

What do you plan on doing with this if you don't mind me asking ?

Back