Still confused re. Dual Channels

tymzee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Main "must have" features are GPS & wifi capability. Looking the various VIOFO models and while I don't really want a dual channel cam it appears their models that support these features are all duals.

Primary use will be to record video while traveling in our motorhome thereby making any rear view camera useless. So a few questions I have are:
  1. I assume it would work fine absent the 2nd camera connected? I bought a suction cup mount in order to switch from the RV to our car so perhaps I could use the 2nd cam when connected to the car and leave disconnected in the RV?
  2. Alternately I suppose I could position the 2nd camera in a side window of the RV-- just to catch some scenery perhaps. :)
  3. I definitely want to use Dashcam Viewer to playback video with GPS information. Are there just two separate streams of video recorded on the SD card when using both cameras? Do both streams embed GPS info?
Hopefully someone can help figure out how all this works!

1. Yes, Yes.
2. Probably better to save the memory card space if you are on long journeys. You could point it towards your drivers side door mirror, watch people overtaking dangerously!
3. Two completely separate video files, both with audio and GPS.

You can buy the Viofo Duo models as single cameras, without the rear, but the rear is good to have for a car.
I recommend the A129+ rather than A129, it is newer and has double the detail on the front camera.

1. Yes, Yes.
2. Probably better to save the memory card space if you are on long journeys. You could point it towards your drivers side door mirror, watch people overtaking dangerously!
3. Two completely separate video files, both with audio and GPS.

You can buy the Viofo Duo models as single cameras, without the rear, but the rear is good to have for a car.
I recommend the A129+ rather than A129, it is newer and has double the detail on the front camera.
Great-- thanks for educating me! Thinking about it I don't really think I'd have much use for the dual camera. Took me some time to find a link to the Plus with one camera but I fiinally came up with this listing on Amazon. It's my understanding that this is the exact same camera as the Plus duo but with just the single camera?

Great-- thanks for educating me! Thinking about it I don't really think I'd have much use for the dual camera. Took me some time to find a link to the Plus with one camera but I fiinally came up with this listing on Amazon. It's my understanding that this is the exact same camera as the Plus duo but with just the single camera?
Correct. That is the front camera only. A129 Plus (Front camera only), A129 Plus Duo (Front and Rear Camera).

Ok, looking more closely at the description for the system I posted the link to above, the text description never mentions a 2nd camera, but when you look at the photos, the parts list does show a 2nd camera, mounting clips etc. Perhaps that is just describing various options? If you buy the A129 Plus with one camera, can you add a second camera at a future time if you wanted?

Got it-- thanks. Strange that the detail images for both models seem to be identical save for the label of "Packing List" for the image of all the parts included for the dual.

Now with the fog clearing thanks to the assistance here, time to fire up the ol' Amazon return. With shipping the way it is these days hopefully I'll get the replacement before Spring. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M A129 Plus / A129 Plus Duo 6
V A129 Plus / A129 Plus Duo 3
Back