stop/start car stops recording

Zippy1148

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Audi A5 with a A119s.In some journeys when I stop at junctions and the engine stop/start activates, it often doesn't continue recording when I set off. It's wired through an ignition live, which should mean it shouldn't stop running. I have noticed the same on my other car, if I stall it and restart the engine straight away before the camera turns off/resets. Does anyone have a solution? If I wired it up to live using the 3 wire hard wire kit, would that permanently keep it running or is that only for parking mode?

Welcome to the forum Zippy.
well if the camera are on a circuit that also come on / off wit the engine, then the camera will come on / off too with that silly start / stop stuff, so to negate that you need to tap into something else.
The Circuit the radio are on will probably only be on / off with the key ( start button ) and not the engine which have its own life with that start / stop stuff.

The hard wire kit enable parking mode use + regular use too of course ( you dont have to use parking mode if you have the hard wire kit )

The viofo i think have the 12 V - 5 V PSU as part of the cigarette lighter plug, so you could tap into the fuse box with a ciggerette lighter adapter + length or wire, and so just tap into the fuse box for regular power.
12v-female-cigarette-socket.png

But then you probably have to tape the PSU to the adapter plug in the pic so it dont wiggle loose under the dashboard.
And then you of course also need a piggy back fuse adapter to tie into a ACC fuse, depending on what kind of fuse size your Audi have.

Thank for that. I laready have the dashcam hard wired in with 2 cables. (one to a switched live in the fuse box and one to earth). When the stop/start activates, I am sure the switched live remains on (the radio doesnt stop).
I have the same issue in a car without stop/start, if I put ignition on, but wait about 5 secs, before starting the engine.

I was once told be a previous manufacturer " When you turn the engine on , the voltage across the car charger will be lower and the camera will switch off automatically like you turn off the car.
Therefore, if you turn on the ignition and start the engine immediately, the camera will switch on normally.
Otherwise, the camera will switch off because the system will mistakenly believe that you are off the car."

So it appears that once allowed to fully boot up, if you then start the car, the drop in voltage makes the camera think you have turned the car off, so it shuts down. It never gets another signal to boot it up again, even though its receiveing the switched live.
@viofo @VIOFO-Support -- Is that correct, and was it only an issue with the old A118 or also the A119 series

Last edited:
Don't forget the V3 has a startup delay, got mine set to 5 secs.

I've also wired mine to an IGN 2 pos not ACC so mine doesn't start the countdown until I'm starting the engine.

Do you have the A119S or the A119V3? You wrote A119S, but in the A119V3 thread. The A119S does not support the 3-wire kit, the A119V3 does.

I have 3 x A118 and a A119S and am thinking of upgrading some of them to the V3 (cant really afford to do them all at once). Maybe the question should have gone in one of the other forums, but I also want to know if the issue has been resolved in later models, and if I got a V3 and 3 wire kit, I would still have the same problem.

I dont think the delay feature would help, because my understanding is that when stop/start switches the engine off, and leaves the ignition on, the camera continues to record. However, when the engine restarts, the drop in voltage fools the cam into switching off (even though it still continues to get a live feed). There is no further increase in voltage to tell it to switch back on.

I dont think an Audi A5 with stop/start has an IGN 2, (you press the key in, then press start). Certainly cant find any accessories/fuses that are on IGN, but as my reply above, I dont think it would resolve the switch off on voltage draw.

I have stop start, and also monitor the voltage when it engages, and almost always the voltage drops very low (like 12.5V) and also varies quite a bit. So I'm guessing one course of action is to put in a voltage monitor and see what your "stop" voltage is and then purchase or modify your wires to have a slightly lower voltage cutoff?

Could this be a situation where a switched powerbank or ups could be used to smooth the flow ?

Could this be a situation where a switched powerbank or ups could be used to smooth the flow ?
Yes I think so, with the usual disclaimer about pass-through features not disrupting the load output. Or a stop-start defeat device which tricks the car that the bonnet is open or something car specific.

I have an Audi A5 with a A119s.In some journeys when I stop at junctions and the engine stop/start activates, it often doesn't continue recording when I set off. It's wired through an ignition live, which should mean it shouldn't stop running. I have noticed the same on my other car, if I stall it and restart the engine straight away before the camera turns off/resets. Does anyone have a solution? If I wired it up to live using the 3 wire hard wire kit, would that permanently keep it running or is that only for parking mode?
Hi,
1st post, be gentle

Viofo A119s v4, also giving anomalies since downloading v4, somewhat scunnered that I can’t find a settings menu for it so using v3 settings (this afternoon) and crossing fingers.
All kicked off when an audible 5 beeps sounded a couple of times while driving and thinking it was the car (Citroen C4) searched for reason in fault menus, nothing found so decided to look at camera. Settings didn’t look right so re-did them.
Car stop start system has been switched off because we’re doing so few miles due to covid, the dip in battery voltage seems to have stopped it working anyway.
Is it possible that car 12v sockets are also switched off if battery power gets low? Our camera is fed from one, I had the direct feed attachment in our motorhome removed it before selling it and haven’t got around to putting it on car.

Hi,
1st post, be gentle

Viofo A119s v4, also giving anomalies since downloading v4, somewhat scunnered that I can’t find a settings menu for it so using v3 settings (this afternoon) and crossing fingers.
All kicked off when an audible 5 beeps sounded a couple of times while driving and thinking it was the car (Citroen C4) searched for reason in fault menus, nothing found so decided to look at camera. Settings didn’t look right so re-did them.
Car stop start system has been switched off because we’re doing so few miles due to covid, the dip in battery voltage seems to have stopped it working anyway.
Is it possible that car 12v sockets are also switched off if battery power gets low? Our camera is fed from one, I had the direct feed attachment in our motorhome removed it before selling it and haven’t got around to putting it on car.
What is a A119S V4?

Ah, confusion, this is the A119 V3 thread.

Back