Stopped an accident the other day.

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
Why do people ignore the risks of undertaking, especially at junctions? Why do they keep going even when they do see the danger?

And more to the point, why does it keep being ME who has to stay alert and warn the others?

I'm the one honking my horn like crazy...

Why do people ignore the risks of undertaking, especially at junctions? Why do they keep going even when they do see the danger?

Unfortunately this will going to happen till their first serious injury.

U see , U care enough to warn = Nice human being !

And more to the point, why does it keep being ME who has to stay alert and warn the others?

Yup, Russia's most "beloved" type of accident. It's one of those situations when being nice only makes things worst. The Focus' driver should've been the first not to try that manoeuvre from a "blind" position.

Should have let the biker get hit for the view counts o_O

The real danger and fault lies in the blocking of the intersection of course!

Catch 22? Do you think that by honking the driver in ur mind ur warning of a pending accident? OR does the driver think u are pissed at him for blocking you and you are one step towards road rage. U may have made that driver nervous to move out of ur way fast.

Catch 22? Do you think that by honking the driver in ur mind ur warning of a pending accident? OR does the driver think u are pissed at him for blocking you and you are one step towards road rage. U may have made that driver nervous to move out of ur way fast.
I don't think that's the case here, I had been stopped for some time and was gesturing with my hand to explain the danger, but in general you're right, the misuse of the horn does mean that when it is used properly people don't realise.

I wasn't just warning the driver, I was trying to warn the rider too. Amazingly that does sometimes work, but ideally when they are overtaking on the correct side and you can stick your hand out to make a stop gesture.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Amazingly that does sometimes work, but ideally when they are overtaking on the correct side and you can stick your hand out to make a stop gesture.
Get a plastic hand, attach it to a long wood pole and you can start doing it on the left side too. :p:D

Yup, Russia's most "beloved" type of accident. It's one of those situations when being nice only makes things worst. The Focus' driver should've been the first not to try that manoeuvre from a "blind" position.

Being a considerate driver is good, but ONLY when you're considering everything. There are reasons why the laws require things of you such as your not entering an intersection until you can see it is fully clear for you and will remain that way until you get through. I'll let people through like this when it seems it won't cause any other problems. I'll also wrongfully enter the un-clear intersection to prevent these situations when that is best for everybody. Yep, I'm in the wrong then but not badly so when it prevents a crash ;) That often pisses the blocked driver off but whatever, if they're that bad then someone else will soon let them through to attempt suicide elsewhere thus solving the problem without my involvement :p

Phil

First I'll point out that I didn't stop to let anyone turn.

That aside, there's NOTHING wrong in doing so. Turning through stopped traffic is fine. Allowing someone to do so is fine. Overtaking on the inside is fine too in the right circumstances. But all have to be done with due care.

This kind of situation never used to be a problem until (A) they put bus lanes bloody everywhere, and (B) people started to treat undertaking as safe and an entitlement, and abandoned any sense of caution.

I'll also point out the zig-zag lines. ANY form of overtaking should have been done with the utmost caution, and the law says you MUST NOT overtake the leading vehicle at a pedestrian crossing.

I think you'll find that it is compulsory. You can't block intersections.
In the UK the rules are quite relaxed on the matter. You can even enter a box junction if you are turning right and blocked by oncoming traffic.

Overtaking, on the other hand, has a bucket load of rules which are well thought out, yet ignored by "the entitled ones."

In a situation like that ( yes im a nice driver too ) i will be in my mirror or the head out of the window looking for the things the guy going for the gap cant see.

Sadly many going for that gab do just like the Russians and just go for it, so when i turn my focus back to them they are already gone.

Off course with a motorcyclist undertaking at speed there is little you can do, 1 second he is behind you and you cant see him, and the next he is along your side, and then its too late to warn any one.

The biker in this clip was damn lucky some one else was looking out for his sorry ass.

I'm too uncultured to know, so I'll ask... Was the guy painting the lines for the lanes drunk?

I'm too uncultured to know, so I'll ask... Was the guy painting the lines for the lanes drunk?
Possibly. But the zig zag lines are put on the approach to a pedestrian crossings here. You must not park there. You must not overtake the nearest vehicle to the crossing. And "You should take extra care where the view of either side of the crossing is blocked by queuing traffic".

Or you can just blast through regardless if you're an a hole.

Possibly. But the zig zag lines are put on the approach to a pedestrian crossings here. You must not park there. You must not overtake the nearest vehicle to the crossing. And "You should take extra care where the view of either side of the crossing is blocked by queuing traffic".

Or you can just blast through regardless if you're an a hole.

Ah, I see. Well when they're like that over here, somethings gone horribly wrong.

restriping+wiggly+lines.jpg

Sometimes I'm not quick enough, and they have to get by on dumb luck...

Now maybe it sounds obvious, but it's always learners acting like this. The thing is (A) you now need to take training here before riding on the road, so they can't claim ignorance, and (B) you really shouldn't need experience to work out it is dangerous to overtake this way - especially when it is obvious that someone has stopped at a junction and it is impossible to see through their van.

Possibly. But the zig zag lines are put on the approach to a pedestrian crossings here. You must not park there. You must not overtake the nearest vehicle to the crossing.

Finally ... an explanation to those crazy lines. And it makes sense. Something I would like to see here then.

Given that there some good traffic laws across the pond, when you guys going to get the move to next lane when approaching an emergency vehicle?

Back