Stopped recording?

gcent

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

Been a happy camper with my sg9665gc v2 for almost 5 years now. Unfortunately, I was in an accident earlier this week, and when I went to pull the video I discovered a full cards worth of drives, that stopped December 27 :( That was the last time I drove in 2020. No videos at all from 2021.

The last time I pulled video off the card was in November.

I deleted the old videos, and ran the hardware test on the card and it passed. I plugged the card back into the camera and it started recording. The only 'odd' thing I noticed is that the date on the camera had reverted to 2015. I don't know when that happened, since there were videos spanning november-december 2020 on the card.

I admit to not being super familiar with the operation of the camera, it's been "set it and forget it" for the most part, and I can't even see it from the drivers seat. I pull random videos from it a few times a year, and never had an issue. After the accident, I checked the lights and thought it looked OK, except I recall the record light being solidly lit, which I now know should have been flashing. I am not sure what a solid light meant.

Obviously, what's done is done, I'm just looking for ideas on what I should do to prevent it from happening again. If the card is ok, and it's recording now, could it have been the date that caused it to stop overwriting old files? And if so what can cause the date to revert? Does the solid record light provide any clue? Something else I am overlooking? I formatted the card in the camera after correcting the date, and it seems to be working as usual. Should I replace the card anyway?

memory cards don't last forever, 5 years is pushing it for sure so a new card is a good idea for sure, if your date has reverted to 2015 this indicates two issues, one, you must be running a very old firmware, two, it's possible the RTC battery needs replacing, if the date resets it will start recording files that are older than what's on the card which means those files will get incorrectly overwritten so you'll constantly be losing what you've just recorded

we have some service options if you want to get that one sorted, also some discounted upgrade options are available to repeat customers, @Street Guardian USA would be able to help you out with that

Thanks jokiin. You are right on the firmware, I have not updated it at all. I figured, if it ain't broke don't fix it haha. The date reverting seemed a likely explanation, its a perfect example of my recent luck that it happened just in time for my first accident.

I would be interested in info on getting the battery fixed up, but I will also take a look at current products. I'd been thinking about getting a second camera for a rear view anyway. I really like the form factor of this camera for the front, it blends in perfectly with the other gadgets on the windshield.

memory cards don't last forever, 5 years is pushing it for sure so a new card is a good idea for sure, if your date has reverted to 2015 this indicates two issues, one, you must be running a very old firmware, two, it's possible the RTC battery needs replacing, if the date resets it will start recording files that are older than what's on the card which means those files will get incorrectly overwritten so you'll constantly be losing what you've just recorded

we have some service options if you want to get that one sorted, also some discounted upgrade options are available to repeat customers, @Street Guardian USA would be able to help you out with that

I'd actually go one step further. Running a 5 year old Dash Camera, regardless of how reliable, is using obsolete hardware. Money is better spent upgrading, than throwing cash into repairs of relic hardware.

Too bad about the missed accident.
You really need to take a look at the memory card every few months, it is no problem really, take me about 10 minutes to look over a 128 GB memory card on the computer.
Another reason to upgrade the hardware is that newer stuff will actually throw up a alarm if say the memory card are not working, where as older hardware would just sit there and look as if everything is alright.

You need a new memory card for sure, even if it is not broken right now, then 5 years are pushing it for sure.

I'd actually go one step further. Running a 5 year old Dash Camera, regardless of how reliable, is using obsolete hardware. Money is better spent upgrading, than throwing cash into repairs of relic hardware.
IMO, 5 years doesn't qualify as obsolete/relic hardware. To me, that implies that the hardware is incapable of serving its purpose due to the rest of the world having moved on. I used to chase the bleeding edge but 1-its too dang expensive and 2-I try to reduce waste where I can. I also love old tech, and get a kick out of seeing something 20-30+ years old that still 'works'. I've also found that newer is just not always better. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. I'm certainly not qualified to say whether 5 years is too much to ask of a dashcam, maybe it is. Definitely doesn't strike me as unusual for a rtc battery to fail after 5 years though. Whether the cost to replace that in something like a dashcam is worth it, I'm not sure since I don't have an idea of that cost just yet.

That said, I tend to upgrade things when I have a compelling reason. More/better features, or the old thing just doesn't work anymore. So I'll be checking out what's new in dashcam land and see what's what.

Too bad about the missed accident.
You really need to take a look at the memory card every few months, it is no problem really, take me about 10 minutes to look over a 128 GB memory card on the computer.
Another reason to upgrade the hardware is that newer stuff will actually throw up a alarm if say the memory card are not working, where as older hardware would just sit there and look as if everything is alright.

You need a new memory card for sure, even if it is not broken right now, then 5 years are pushing it for sure.
Agreed, for sure, that's why I pull videos off of it every few months. The timing of it just happened to really stink :) I'll make a note of that alarm feature when I'm looking at new cams, I wonder if that would have helped in a case like this where it may have technically been recording, just not overwriting older files as it went.

I also need to add in a quick check of the visible signals (flashing light vs non, and date) to my routine, that would have saved me for sure.

Agreed, for sure, that's why I pull videos off of it every few months.

It's a good practice to check your footage more than "every few months". Every few weeks or perhaps at least once a month would be better as it can prevent situations like you recently experienced.

It's a good practice to check your footage more than "every few months". Every few weeks or perhaps at least once a month would be better as it can prevent situations like you recently experienced.
Could have. It was definitely terrible timing and bad luck, I've barely been driving over the last year between WFH and avoiding people. I only drove a handful of times between the last recording and the accident.

Could have. It was definitely terrible timing and bad luck, I've barely been driving over the last year between WFH and avoiding people. I only drove a handful of times between the last recording and the accident.

Yeah, the pandemic lock down has affected driving for many of us so you have a good point. I usually manage to drive enough to keep the super-caps in my cameras from losing the date and time in the cams that don't have RT batteries but it did happen recently and I thought I lost footage of an incident. Turned out the file said it was from January 1, 2012 so I had trouble finding the clip I was looking for on the card.

My advice was just a general rule of thumb since many of us have had similar experiences with a lost important file that we only found out about after the fact, including me, so personally I've learned to be more vigilant checking that my cameras are functioning as expected in my ten years as a dash cam user.

Yeah, the pandemic lock down has affected driving for many of us so you have a good point. I usually manage to drive enough to keep the super-caps in my cameras from losing the date and time in the cams that don't have RT batteries but it did happen recently and I thought I lost footage of an incident. Turned out the file said it was from January 1, 2012 so I had trouble finding the clip I was looking for on the card.

My advice was just a general rule of thumb since many of us have had similar experiences with a lost important file that we only found out about after the fact, including me, so personally I've learned to be more vigilant checking that my cameras are functioning as expected in my ten years as a dash cam user.
I'll definitely be working to make a quick check of visual indicators part of my routine going forward. The cam has been so reliable that I got complacent in that regard. It is out of sight (as a driver), but not impossible to see if I lean over.

I'll definitely be working to make a quick check of visual indicators part of my routine going forward. The cam has been so reliable that I got complacent in that regard. It is out of sight (as a driver), but not impossible to see if I lean over.

Hah, complacency! I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been there all too many times myself. That's why I try to take my own advice about checking the files on the cards periodically. I probably don't do it as often as I should, especially during the winter here in Vermont but I try. I have five cameras in my vehicle for 360º coverage and so I try to rotate through each camera so that I end up checking each one maybe once a month.

Given my many cams, checking cards is a chore, but has proven necessary. Being some are switched on and off manually I'm always looking for proper start-up and I also glance at the indicator LED's when stopped at traffic lights. When I check the card I check and set the date/time too, then format the card in the cam again and check for proper booting. At least every few months (more often on main cams) I'll dismount the cam and give it a 'desk job' where I check everything, clean everything, and go back over all the settings.

I've had cards fail, date and time reset to default, settings get lost, recording stop without indication of that happening in various cams. Not to be seen as 'set and forget' but 'minimal maintenance' instead. And always have a pre-formatted spare card along just in case Murphy's Law pays you a visit while you're out on the road ;)

Phil

I wonder if that would have helped in a case like this where it may have technically been recording, just not overwriting older files as it went.
no, if it's overwriting due to a date reset problem no camera will alert you to that, as mentioned it's always wise to check what's going on to make sure things are working as they should, that goes for any camera

IMO, 5 years doesn't qualify as obsolete/relic hardware. To me, that implies that the hardware is incapable of serving its purpose due to the rest of the world having moved on. I used to chase the bleeding edge but 1-its too dang expensive and 2-I try to reduce waste where I can. I also love old tech, and get a kick out of seeing something 20-30+ years old that still 'works'. I've also found that newer is just not always better. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. I'm certainly not qualified to say whether 5 years is too much to ask of a dashcam, maybe it is. Definitely doesn't strike me as unusual for a rtc battery to fail after 5 years though. Whether the cost to replace that in something like a dashcam is worth it, I'm not sure since I don't have an idea of that cost just yet.

That said, I tend to upgrade things when I have a compelling reason. More/better features, or the old thing just doesn't work anymore. So I'll be checking out what's new in dashcam land and see what's what.

Think of computer hardware that's five years old. Sure, it's usable, but not ideal. Chances are you 5 year old camera is 720p, uses old sensors, and isn't the best at capturing events in the best possible manner. Will it work and is it better than nothing? Sure. A five year old computer can still browse the web, email, etc. But throw modern games at it, and you see the shortcomings.

Same with a 5 year old Dash Camera. It suffices. If sufficing is sufficient, then great. If you want to be sure to capture a situation in the most optimal and favorable conditions, then I suggest upgrading.

Per fixing a 5 year old camera, again, throwing money at resolving something that has been replaced by better.

Agreed, for sure, that's why I pull videos off of it every few months. The timing of it just happened to really stink :) I'll make a note of that alarm feature when I'm looking at new cams, I wonder if that would have helped in a case like this where it may have technically been recording, just not overwriting older files as it went.

I also need to add in a quick check of the visible signals (flashing light vs non, and date) to my routine, that would have saved me for sure.

For instance, the Viofo will beep when recording stops. Notifying you of a problem. Again, advances in technology. FYI: I run two cameras. Betters your chances if one fails or doesn't capture the event perfectly, you've got a second set of eyes that hopefully did better.

Think of computer hardware that's five years old. Sure, it's usable, but not ideal. Chances are you 5 year old camera is 720p, uses old sensors, and isn't the best at capturing events in the best possible manner. Will it work and is it better than nothing? Sure. A five year old computer can still browse the web, email, etc. But throw modern games at it, and you see the shortcomings.

Same with a 5 year old Dash Camera. It suffices. If sufficing is sufficient, then great. If you want to be sure to capture a situation in the most optimal and favorable conditions, then I suggest upgrading.

Per fixing a 5 year old camera, again, throwing money at resolving something that has been replaced by better.
actually his 5 year old camera is 1080p, there are still cameras for sale now that use the same hardware, there are a range of low cost options available to customers should they want to keep their cameras working, we understand that not everyone has the funds to just replace

For instance, the Viofo will beep when recording stops. Notifying you of a problem. Again, advances in technology. FYI: I run two cameras. Betters your chances if one fails or doesn't capture the event perfectly, you've got a second set of eyes that hopefully did better.
Our new models all do this also, in the case of an RTC battery fault though the camera will still record fine but will overwrite files it has just written due to the date error, there is no beep notification for this as it is still recording

I tip my hat to anyone that keep their old stuff running and dont just update as they can, i only mentioned the error alarm on new cameras as thats about the only reason to get a newer camera.

It would be nice if we one day would get AI in the cameras, so in case of RTC problems the camera would go "hey i am deleting the file i just wrote" and then sound a alarm as there are no 1 file memory cards in play.
Wouldn't it be possible to code the camera so it can only delete files that are at least XX time old ? that should fix the RTC issue not having a alarm

So the code could be something like.

If card full delete and oldest file are more than 12 hours old, delete it to have room for more recordings. :)

actually his 5 year old camera is 1080p, there are still cameras for sale now that use the same hardware, there are a range of low cost options available to customers should they want to keep their cameras working, we understand that not everyone has the funds to just replace

Our new models all do this also, in the case of an RTC battery fault though the camera will still record fine but will overwrite files it has just written due to the date error, there is no beep notification for this as it is still recording

1. Still older technology and sensors. Even if 1080p. 5 year old technology is still dated no matter how you slice it. Heck, even the A129 Duo I own is several iterations old with the A129 Plus, Pro, and A139 on the market. Not 5 years and not obsolete. One can argue a camera is never fully obsolete since something is better than nothing. However, cameras are an insurance policy. I want to be protected to the best of all possibilities. Which is why I'll buy an A139 in the near future.

2. RTC battery is a major failure. He lost accident video. Which is why I run two cameras (redundancy) and also proves the point holding on to something too long isn't recommended. When he needed the camera the most, the aged equipment failed him. Overwrote other video due to the battery's demise causing the unit to lose Date and Time. I presume the RTC battery is similar to a CMOS battery in a computer. My response: Because it's for there for my protection. No one elses.

Yes, not everyone has a budget to afford upgrades. However, there are some things in life you shouldn't cut corners on. My Dash Camera has come in handy numerous times. The exact speech I tell people who ask, "why do you want something recording you".

I tip my hat to anyone that keep their old stuff running and dont just update as they can, i only mentioned the error alarm on new cameras as thats about the only reason to get a newer camera.

It would be nice if we one day would get AI in the cameras, so in case of RTC problems the camera would go "hey i am deleting the file i just wrote" and then sound a alarm as there are no 1 file memory cards in play.
Wouldn't it be possible to code the camera so it can only delete files that are at least XX time old ? that should fix the RTC issue not having a alarm

So the code could be something like.

If card full delete and oldest file are more than 12 hours old, delete it to have room for more recordings. :)

You'd have the camera beeping every 3-5 minutes. Remember, ALL dash cameras overwrite the oldest files. So there's no way to let a person know that the RTC is bad, and the date / time are wrong. Overwriting every file in the process. It would mirror normal behavior in a camera that overwrites the oldest file on purpose.

The real solution would be to code the camera to notify the battery is bad or going bad and issue a warning beep or message.

Back