Storage i/o error

Hoverfly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently made my purchase from Eprance. Mini 0801 with internal storage and GPS. Eprance also provided a 32Gb sd card.

Yesterday I experience a storage i/o error with the external 32Gb card.

The firmware is 20131026 and the sd card (as provided by eprance) is a Class 10 Samsung 32Gb.
Further investigation reveals only 23.6Gb of external stroage has been used.

The camera will not now record any more clips.

Anybody experienced similar?

Last edited:
Have a read in those 105 pages of "Smallest Amberella DVR aka Mini 0801" thread. You are just one of the many "victims" of this dashcam. I have also had the same error with mine, exact model, firmware version and microSD card as yours. Error out when only about 16GB recorded in the card. I am now using my Samsung 8GB class 4 card and so far it is running fine.

The user manual explicitly says that Class 10 cards should be avoided. Try a class 6 or class 4

The user manual explicitly says that Class 10 cards should be avoided. Try a class 6 or class 4

Yes you would have thought so, yet eprance still sold a class 10 card to Hoverfly. The irony.

Ah yeah I skipped that part. Very professional of them...

Class 10, Class 6, ... the problem is still there. I believe this is more related to the size of the card 32GB than the Class level. As far as I know, we have seen this issue only with 32GB card with the Audio recording on. With this large number of users reporting this issue, how can E-Prance and others are not "able" to reproduced it. I think they know but ignore it.

I just bought this camera yesterday :(

Amazon. "E-Prance". +GPS. No 8Gb internal.

Haven't picked an SD card yet :confused:

I should have it tomorrow (Prime Shipping). I think I'll get really small card like 4 GB to start out with and see if that causes this mysterious error.

Either way I'm already 2nd guessing my purchase. This is my first dash cam and I have no desire to waste time fighting with a faulty piece of tech. I might send it back at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited:
I just bought this camera yesterday :(

Amazon. "E-Prance". +GPS. No 8Gb internal.

Haven't picked an SD card yet :confused:

I should have it tomorrow (Prime Shipping). I think I'll get really small card like 4 GB to start out with and see if that causes this mysterious error.

Either way I'm already 2nd guessing my purchase. This is my first dash cam and I have no desire to waste time fighting with a faulty piece of tech. I might send it back at the first sign of trouble.

I've been using an old Samsung 32Gb class 4 for over a week now and not one error (fingers crossed). Whereas with the one supplied, it would be two days and then I'd start getting errors even though there is no problems with the card itself.

I recently made my purchase from Eprance. Mini 0801 with internal storage and GPS. Eprance also provided a 32Gb sd card.

Yesterday I experience a storage i/o error with the external 32Gb card.

The firmware is 20131026 and the sd card (as provided by eprance) is a Class 10 Samsung 32Gb.
Further investigation reveals only 23.6Gb of external stroage has been used.

The camera will not now record any more clips.

Anybody experienced similar?

That's not what I wanted to hear. :(

After a good few week's study, I'd finally decided on this cam (GPS, no internal storage)

After reading about the card issues, I thought I'd get the card from E-Prance (Amazon) with the cam. I mean, if there's one card that will work, I thought, it's the one they sell with the cam.

Will be a bit disappointed if the card they supply causes issues with their own cam.

I have written a couple of emails to E-PRANCE expressing my displeasure that they sent me a 32Gb Class 10 card when the user manual states NOT to use CLass 10 cards.
I am more than happy with the camera and plan on purchasing another when this problem is resolved.
In my last email to E-PRANCE I said I would be happy if they were prepared to exchange the 32Gb Class 10 card for two 16Gb Class 6 cards.

This is the reply I have just received.

Good Day:)
thank you for your kind reply,we fully understand the problem,we asked for a software from the factory to resolve the problem,they will send it to us tomorrow,please don't worry,I'll keep you updated tomorrow:):):)

Thank you for trusting in us
Warmest regards

That would be great if they could resolved the problem by finding the root cause. E-Prance asked me to shop for different cards and tried them. I don't think this the correct way to tackle the issue. Trial and error approach should not be suggested by a supplier. I hope they will call back with a new firmware that will solve the issue for good.

Let's hope so! I should have my new camera when I get home from work. As I get going with the cam I'll definitely post my experiences.

I hope they do sort it out. I can tell you this based on my own experiences over the last 2 months+ of using these cams, that it seems to like 16gb cards better than 32gb cards, at least my 1st camera seems to anyway (I have 3 of them..lol) this 1st cam (GPS only) has been a little unstable at times. In 2 months I've had it stop when re-cycling and the mini USB sockets seemed quite loose and occasionally it wouldn't go into auto record when powered up, but giving the sockets a blast with isopropyl and squeezing one side of the plug in a little to make it a firmer fit seemed to cure it.

This same camera was delivered with a faulty UP button which would not work, I decided rather that return it to open it up and repair it myself, it turned out one side of the SM switch had not been soldered, so a few seconds with the soldering iron solved that problem, but out of the 3 camera's this one has always been more fussy with cards...especially 32gb cards, It seemed to work fine on 16gb cards, but over 2 months it has failed 2 or 3 times when re-cycling on 32gb cards. One time I think it was the card itself as tests revealed it had 1 bad sector, I gave it a full format to map out the bad sector and the card seemed to work okay afterwards, but I have since kept that one as a spare, and it also failed with a Samsung class 10 card, where it would randomly stop recording, a change of card to a 32gb class 6 seems to have fixed it. Its been okay the last couple of weeks or so anyway.

The second and third camera's I bought, (all 3 from E-Prance BTW) have worked flawlessly so far, one cam is GPS + 8GB in the front of my car wired in using 12v to 5v USB converter, and the other is a GPS only mounted in the rear of the car, (This one has the audio and GPS turned off) these 2 cams do not seem so fussy with the type of cards, I'm currently using a couple of Samsung 32gb class 6 cards in them, but a few weeks ago I also run a class 10 card for a few days too without issues.

IOW.. all my issues have been mainly on my first camera, and 2 or 3 of those were down to a poor connection on the USB sockets. Failing to go into record mode on power on occurred 3 or 4 times, and stopping say after 2 or 3 hrs running, a change of cable helped, but I always squeeze in the side of the mini usb plugs now even the ones in the car, as I know from experience they can cause some weird symptoms, in fairness however the sockets on the second 2 cams do seem a firmer fit anyway.
There is no doubt, there are differences in the hardware on some of these camera's depending which factory made them, and I believe some cams simply don't come up to spec, my 1st camera is one example, infact my second 2 cams seem to me to be better built too, buttons work properly and feel better and the mini USB sockets are better quality too IMO, no bad ccd pixels either. I just don't think it was made in the same factory that made the other 2 cams.

Last edited:
Lunar, thanks for the info. It's great to see such a proactive support group for what I find to be a spectacular (though perhaps admittedly, niche) branch of technology. Many people have balked when I told them I wanted to get a Dashcam even after explaining the experience that led me to it :confused:

My wife was cited for passing over a crosswalk when a pedestrian had just made it 3 steps in. I believe the pedestrian had the obligation to wait since, according to my wife's description, the car was so close as to constitute a hazard before the pedestrian left the sidewalk. But my wife got the citation. A Dashcam would've shown the truth.

My wife was cited for passing over a crosswalk when a pedestrian had just made it 3 steps in. I believe the pedestrian had the obligation to wait since, according to my wife's description, the car was so close as to constitute a hazard before the pedestrian left the sidewalk. But my wife got the citation. A Dashcam would've shown the truth.

This is one of the main reasons I am testing a dashcam right now for my dad. My family lives in Belgium and more and more people are "throwing them self" in front of cars (not at crossings) and you have to move out of their way. Pedestrians are king over there. In case of an accident, showing that a person sees you and decides to cross just when you are in front of them could help your case.

Anyway, if I could have this cam stable and not have to worry about it shouting down, I would give one to my dad and get one for me. Then time for the other cars too.

I think having camera's in the car can be handy at times, especially these days, what made me decide to fit them, was a frightening experience my wife and I had about 4 months ago while on a shopping trip in Birmingham. A car with 4 young lads who looked of foreign origin, overtook us and then did an emergency stop, luckily I managed to stop with 3 or 4 metres to spare. It was what they did next that was unbelievable. I saw their reversing light come on, and then they started to reverse, I couldn't believe it, my car has never gone into reverse gear so fast, and there we were reversing on a main road at probably 15 or 20mph with me continually sounding the horn, luckily for us no vehicles had come the back of us, otherwise I couldn't have done much, but after about 25 or 30mtrs they drove off at high speed giving me a finger sign out of the drivers window as he did so.

My wife managed to remember part of his registration but not all of it, and I never had time to get it at all, we reported it to the police but never heard anything back. :-(
A couple weeks later, my son mentioned he was having in car camera's fitted in his service engineers vehicles, and that was what prompted me to get 1 as well, and was so impressed at the image quality for so little money I got another 2..lol. I think of it as having a bit more insurance..lol we have so many idiots on the roads in the UK these days it's unbelievable, with so many immigrants on our roads with many driving un-insured, and no driving license it's getting crazy. Fortunately I live in the most rural county in England, which is Herefordshire, so it's not too bad, but wherever you go, people are not the same as they were when I started driving cars 50yrs ago, today we have a selfish society that would rather do you harm than help you, so the camera's adds that little extra insurance. Hopefully they will never be needed, but having said that I've already captured 2 serious accidents where other drivers were extremely grateful for the footage I emailed to them, and in one case so were the police.

You may have seen me mention that I use one camera mounted in the front home window just watching my car and the driveway, as I found it makes a very good and cheap home security camera. I recently bought myself a new VW Tiguan 4wd car, and it's my pride n joy at the moment as it's only a few weeks old, so am paranoid about it getting damaged etc. and just lately in this area police have reported several cases where gypsies have been going around stealing complete exhaust systems complete with cat converters from cars especially 4wd cars that tend to have more clearance under them making it easier for them. Crazy I know but it happens..lol
Sad that we feel the need to protect ourselves a little, but this how much the UK has changed in my lifetime, and it continues to get worse.

Last edited:
Just received this reply from E-Prance:

Dear

Good Day:)
thank you for your patience,I attach it at the bottom,please have a try,please don't worry,I'll be responsible for this:)

1.format the TF card and copy the file into your root of TF Card.
2.Insert the TF Card to the device
3.plug it into car charger and it'll turn on and update automatically.

hope to hear from you soon
Warmest regards

And the file is??????? 20130922-NO1-SPIF-2710-2CARD-GPS

Now to me that looks like a giant step backwards.

Comments?

don't judge a firmware by the file name, not saying the problem will be resolved but the version numbers are not good indicators, give it a try, see how you go and share your results

OK M8. I've just installed the new firmware so time will tell if the problem has been resolved.

Hoverfly, could you ask JazJon if he has this firmware already? If yes, he may be able to compare the two files.

I also got a message from E-prance this morning asking for my email in order to send me the firmware. We will see if it s the same name.

Back