story: dashcam captures mechanics joyride

I have dashcams in 3 of my cars and sadly when I watch the footage after having any of them in for service it's just a quick test drive around the block. I guess the shop I go to has decent workers. or maybe they see the camera and behave responsibly.

So, .... surgeries?
Anyone think about surgeries? Cars are things, disposable, but what about people?
(Joan Rivers).
I put a voice activated audio recorder in my clothes. Clothes usually go with you into the procedure, under the gurney, so they don't leave you when they take you to recovery. Sometimes interesting to hear what they say (about you..). But, wonder what camera/video options one could think to sneak in?

there have been hidden cams in cars for years to show what service shops, valet folks, etc do with some peoples' cars. the fact this is a "dashcam" is not new at all.

i see a lot of things with the dashcam i use when the car is in for service. hear what they say, etc.

What kind of dashcam does he have? How could the mechanic not notice the dashcam? This is one reason why to have a dashcam and a GPS on it.
25A4DC2F00000578-0-image-a-39_1423840130641.jpg

Looks like a G1W form factor - so could be any one of a number of cams using that style. Someone with similar might confirm the actual make/model based on the font in the display. (along the bottom of the video it says NBDVR402G - maybe that's the make/model?)
Mech probably didn't notice the cam since he was too busy drooling over a car that so easily outshone his 25y/o corsa.
Notice the guy in the pic staring at the dashcam? Your eyesight would have to be incredibly poor not to spot that hanging there!
Not sure that GPS would be that essential since high speed is obvious here & it could easily be calculated using known fixed points against the timestamp - but certainly a great advert for the use of dashcams and another reason why cams need to be more discrete (although in this case, the mech is too stupid for his own good & maybe shouldn't be allowed to breed?)

What really amazes me, though, are some of the comments under the article - the punishment is too severe, it's ruined his life, he needs to test it fully blah blah boo hoo. I suspect these are the guy's mates? Then again, women do send love letters to mass murderers in prison...

Last edited:
Send it too the police. They would have a field day on this guy. Surely testing it fully means sticking to the speed limit and not revving the balls of the car. Tracking can be done at any speed as we all know

Looking around the web, I've noticed a few conspiracy theories coming out.
Why did he show them leaving the garage (timestamp is around 38mins) and then jump backwards to around 22 mins for the driving. Surely the road test is the last thing you do & the mechs would park it up as soon as they get back.
With a lot of these cams, you can set the date/time to read whatever you like - however, I would've thought that the GPS function would autocorrect this?

25A4DC2F00000578-0-image-a-39_1423840130641.jpg

Looks like a G1W form factor - so could be any one of a number of cams using that style. Someone with similar might confirm the actual make/model based on the font in the display. (along the bottom of the video it says NBDVR402G - maybe that's the make/model?)

What really amazes me, though, are some of the comments under the article - the punishment is too severe, it's ruined his life, he needs to test it fully blah blah boo hoo. I suspect these are the guy's mates? Then again, women do send love letters to mass murderers in prison...
Yeah Nextbase 402G Professional mate, they sell them in Halfords - it's the DOD LS430W by another name :)

When the local dealers saw mine this is what they thought:

Why did he show them leaving the garage (timestamp is around 38mins) and then jump backwards to around 22 mins for the driving.
The last time I had my car in the shop, I reviewed the footage afterwards. They pulled my car in and out of their shop two times-- once from the parking lot into the shop, then back out to the parking lot. Then later they brought it back into the shop and actually did the work, then back to the lot. I have no idea why they went into the shop that first time.

The last time I had my car in the shop, I reviewed the footage afterwards. They pulled my car in and out of their shop two times-- once from the parking lot into the shop, then back out to the parking lot. Then later they brought it back into the shop and actually did the work, then back to the lot. I have no idea why they went into the shop that first time.
Most likely they did not have the right part.

Back