cruiser

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR500GW-HD
Hi,
my DR500GW-HD creates mp4 files with the following framerate:

this FPS value is not always the same, but varies little after the third decimal place.

29.55 fps is not a standard value.
It is not 29.97 (NTSC interlaced) , nor 30 (HD progressive), and it is not even 25 (PAL interlaced, Europe)

I use these files for video editing,
some programs do not recognize the framerate and try to convert it to 25fps or 29.97fps
Others do not convert the original file, but the final video contains continuous micro freezes for a frame every few seconds.

I could recode any video files to any standard framerate from 29.55 before editing (loosing quality..), but the question is: why this strange framerate?

Some glitch in firmware. Have you tried to update it ?

Unfortunately I have already upgraded to 1.008 En, but no change.
Maybe hardware related?

who cares as long as it works.

Go buy a blue car and get a red one "who cares as long as it works" is the answer of the car salesman
What a crappy answer.. maybe it works for you, I use that dashcam in video editing.

it's probably fit for purpose, just not for what you want to use it for, see if you can check the frame rate of someone else using the same model, if it's the same as yours then maybe it's just a Blackvue thing, for your video editing purposes maybe another cam using an industry standard framerate would be more suitable if this is the case

Where is the list of suitable uses in product description? "30fps" is a standard, you are a manufacturer, you must understand 'industry standard'.
Or Blackvue datasheet is for fun?

you are a manufacturer, you must understand 'industry standard'.

sure I do, Blackvue is not my product though

as suggested see if you can check a raw file from someone else with the same model, if the frame rate is the same as what you have (suspect it would be) then it's likely a Blackvue issue, beyond that maybe it's a TI issue in which case similar Korean TI based cams are possibly going to have the same issue, if it shows different perhaps you have a faulty product, chances are slim of a hardware fault causing an odd frame rate though I would think

That's reasonable.
Since I do not know anyone with this cam, it would be nice if someone here will open a raw file with VLC, in "Media Information" menu.

Take a look here from 0.28" and see what I mean. That section of the video was not altered in framerate or lenght. Only color filter. The "frozen" frames are more visible if you follow fly-by cars:

That's reasonable.
Since I do not know anyone with this cam, it would be nice if someone here will open a raw file with VLC, in "Media Information" menu.

Take a look here from 0.28" and see what I mean. That section of the video was not altered in framerate or lenght. Only color filter. The "frozen" frames are more visible if you follow fly-by cars:

I see what you mean by the stuttering it causes, plenty of Blackvue users here, I'm sure someone will be able to check the frame rate of theirs and compare

Might even be worth sending a message to Mio that does the custom firmware for your model and see if he can shed any light on the issue, he has spent a lot of time working out the firmware on this model so may know more about it

Thank you. I will also try to invite Mio to follow this discussion.

No one can take a look at a raw file framerate?

Maybe you go to dr500w thread and see who confirmed of buying it. PM them with your concern to share raw files. Not all buyers follow new posts or forum every day, but PM will be notified to their e-mail inbox, which most people check every day.

I know it's not the same camera, but just for info..

I have the DR550GW and the video from this camera shows in VLC as 1920x1080 30 FPS...

This is with firmware version 1.010 (English).

thank you for the reply
I see, so frame rate is not the problem of my cam.

I have to investigate somewhere else.

What is it so interesting that you edit the videos I bought the camera to record accidents or close shaves. Nothing else is interesting enough to look at.

Except when I was on holiday in the USA I kept the record files but soon got sick of looking at endless tar seal LOL

Yeah Ok looks alright but I have edited in Wondershare video Converter Ultimate and its been OK

just had a look at your clips, very nice I like what you're doing.

I took a look at one of my clips and it says frame rate is 29.45

axtg.png

Back