Strangest problem with power Magic Pro last few days

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the last few days I have had the strangest problem. I have it set for 12 hours but for some reason the next day my cameras turn off as soon as I open my car door. This is even if it has not been 12 hours and the last three days they turned off within seconds of opening my door. Do you think I am dropping the voltage by opening the door and lights turning on?

Last edited:
Damm dude, things just pile up on you these days.
Sadly i have no experience with the devise so i cant help you there.

So the last few days I have had the strangest problem. I have it set for 12 hours but for some reason the next day my cameras turn off as soon as I open my car door. This iseven if it has not been 12 hours and the last three days they turned off within seconds of opening my door. Do you think I am dropping the voltage by opening the door and lights turning on?

As a first place to start with troubleshooting it might be an idea to see if your car battery is putting out the proper voltage or if there is some other electrical problem with the charging system. If it's not the car then test the Magic Pro for issues.

Edit: When I first saw your "iseven" typo my first thought was that you were talking about some iGadget I'd never heard of. :)

I was using voice to text haha.

It never happens within the same day tho. It seems to work just fine and records up to the 12 hours in parking mode until I get into my car where it suddenly turns them off.

Do you think I am dropping the voltage by opening the door and lights turning on?
Sure, depending on your car by opening doors/unlocking car the whole CAN system is powered up and consumes a lot of current. Battery will show less voltage if there are current consumers.

It could still be a failing car battery. These things are never linear and on any given day, say the ambient temperature is a little warmer or colder the battery could be outputting less or more. Either way, I'm not sure any of us can help you with this until you start the troubleshooting process and my vote is to start with the car's electrical system and work your way back to the Magic Pro. Obviously, you can start with the Magic Pro and work back the other way but I guess you'll need to start eliminating the possibilities.

I totally don't trust voice to text. Some of my conversations with Siri have been downright hilarious. I've had better luck with Dragon but I don't trust it either. And forget speech-to-text, spellcheckers are worse! A few years ago I was selling some items on eBay and at that time there was a service I used called Western Union Bid-Pay. In the auction I wrote, "Use the Western Union Bid-Pay Service!"......in big yellow letters on a black background via html. After a few auctions were up and running and had some bids so it was too late to change the listings I noticed that the spellchecker in my web design client, unbeknownst to me had changed it to read...."Use the Western Union Bed-Pan Service" :D

Almost guarantee it will be battery. Is car a bit slow to crank as well

i think it is my battery. it has been slow to crank lately. i have over 60000 miles now and drive my car pretty rough, after 2 1/2 years... sound about time for a ew battery?

when i was bit by the dashcam bug (i have 3 in the ride) i upgraded the battery before i even install the cams as i knew i would have them on 24/7.

if your battery is a NOT maintenance free, then recommend to replace. if you have a auto shop nearby who could test it that would give you confirmation either way...

How far do you drive daily? Just wondering if you're not clocking up enough distance to fully charge the battery as well? If it's only 2.5 years old it shouldn't be in that bad a condition, although I guess cold weather won't help it - not sure where you are in the USA?

I replaced mine after six years and even after all that time it wasn't too bad, but I was getting random electrical gremlins which you can get with VW as the batteries are starting to go. I went for the biggest capacity Yuasa I could get that would fit in the gap - I'd never heard of them but they're replacing the Bosch batteries they sell in that store.

How far do you drive daily? Just wondering if you're not clocking up enough distance to fully charge the battery as well? If it's only 2.5 years old it shouldn't be in that bad a condition, although I guess cold weather won't help it - not sure where you are in the USA?

I replaced mine after six years and even after all that time it wasn't too bad, but I was getting random electrical gremlins which you can get with VW as the batteries are starting to go. I went for the biggest capacity Yuasa I could get that would fit in the gap - I'd never heard of them but they're replacing the Bosch batteries they sell in that store.
I work two delivery jobs. I put on 60000 miles in just over 2 years. Hopefully won't be delivering soon tho.

and hey just like that i was offered a new job today. still severely underpaid considering I am a certified Civil Engineer-In-Training, but it gets my foot in the door. and lots of nice over time.

Back