Stream live video possible?

jauling

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
hero hd, hero5 session, gitup git2, yi 4k+
Does anyone know if its possible to stream video from git2, to Youtube Live or Facebook Live, or some other streaming live service?

Gopro relies on their app to get this done, but I'm not sure if any of the git2 compatible apps can accomplish this.

PS - this isn't a thread to bash gitup on the progress of their camera app!

Reactions: Mtz
Probably better to use the RTSP stream, then you can have the camera in normal mode and use the exposure controls etc, see: http://www.georgetimmermans.com/blog/streaming-rtsp-to-youtube-live

The camera can't do it itself, you need an app to send the video stream on to the YouTube server, and since YouTube doesn't accept RTSP it will need to re-encode it first.

Probably better to use the RTSP stream, then you can have the camera in normal mode and use the exposure controls etc, see: http://www.georgetimmermans.com/blog/streaming-rtsp-to-youtube-live

The camera can't do it itself, you need an app to send the video stream on to the YouTube server, and since YouTube doesn't accept RTSP it will need to re-encode it first.

yikes! this seems heavy, but glad to see its possible. i was hoping for a more mobile/turnkey solution, for on-the-go-live-streaming with just my git2 and a mobile phone.

yikes! this seems heavy, but glad to see its possible. i was hoping for a more mobile/turnkey solution, for on-the-go-live-streaming with just my git2 and a mobile phone.
You just need the right app on your phone, but the Gitup app doesn't seem to be available yet and I don't know what other app will do it...

You didn't say what phone you want to use, or even that you wanted to use a phone so I linked to a Windows guide.

What phone do you have? if it is Android then I will have a play, I believe you can use ffmpeg on Android as in my Windows example...

Thank you, I got it works. ;)
Of course there is delay and not so stable.
View attachment 27186
I don't think anyone expects zero delay or good resolution with little compression for live streams.

What is the comment about Git3? I assume you used a Git2...

Thanks @Nigel I have an android phone

Streaming with action cam and mobile phone is worst solution and nobody use this because your battery will be empty in very short time (on cam and phone). If you want to stream use only git with pc or Mac and second solution is to stream with your phone cam. If you have bad cam on your mobile phone buy better mobile phone ;)for streaming purpose in your case mobile phone must use wifi to connect with external cam and 3g or LTE signal. Even if you have phone connected to charge adapter and you have not buy samsung note 7. Any phone will be hot in few min and maybe explode :( afc this all is maybe possible if you try your experiment on North pole :)

Last edited:
Has anybody tried to connect Git2 in webcam mode to OTG Android device?

Has anybody tried to connect Git2 in webcam mode to OTG Android device?
I've tried with Android 4.0 tablet. Nothing, only standard blue screen with the message about mode.
What should be?

I've tried with Android 4.0 tablet. Nothing, only standard blue screen with the message about mode.
What should be?

Have you tried to run any Android app supporting standard external UVC cam after connecting it to OTG and selecting webcam mode on Git2?

Have you tried to run any Android app supporting standard external UVC cam after connecting it to OTG and selecting webcam mode on Git2?
USB webcam app said no UVC camera. I suppose maybe tablet chip is too old for UVC (AllWinner a10). Need somebody with a newer device...

Last edited:
I have an OTG cable on the way to me from Amazon right now. Probably be here tomorrow. I can try it on my galaxy note 3 and let you know how it does. Maybe even record the whole thing with my git1... Gitception! Lol

USB webcam app said no UVC camera. I suppose maybe tablet chip is too old for UVC (AllWinner a10). Need somebody with a newer device...
Regarding web camera, we just released a new firmware which support to change web camera name via configuration file.
Some business user use 2 to 6 cameras for VR live broadcast on computer, so it is good to give each web camera a different name.

Sorry, I meddle in the discussion to ask: how can I use my Git2 as a webcam on my MacBook?

I have an OTG cable on the way to me from Amazon right now. Probably be here tomorrow. I can try it on my galaxy note 3 and let you know how it does. Maybe even record the whole thing with my git1... Gitception! Lol

Got some odd results... But don't put much stock in it. You'll see why below.

When I first plugged it in, the camera showed the gitup logo, then for a split second showed what the camera could see, then went to a white screen: charging mode with a USB symbol above the animated battery graphic. the phone reported that the USB storage device "NOVATEKN" was corrupt and did i want to repair it? No, I do not. I unplugged the camera, removed the SD card and tried again. Same thing except without the warning on the phone about corrupt SD card.

When I plugged that SD card into my tiny mono price OTG card reader, it also reported that the USB device was corrupt. Yet I could play the videos on the card just fine using x-plore file manager.

Tried starting Android FPV viewer but it didn't recognize the camera. Pressing buttons on the camera didn't do anything.

So the asterisk here is that the custom ROM I'm running has some bugs like no audio in phone calls in the handset (but it's fine on Bluetooth or speakerphone), and sometimes the screen blanks out and won't respond to any buttons... So maybe there's something wrong with the OTG section. It just occurred to me that I could have hooked up my ezvid clone video capture device as a test, but now I'm more focused on fixing my phone.

If I can finish some stuff for work in time tonight, I'm gonna try to flash a different ROM and see if it's better.

It works with my good old Huawei Mediapad.
git2-otg.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Git2 2
J Git2 10
G Git2 4
N Git2 2
Back