Street Guardian dual channel version release date?

So you're thinking announcement within the next 6 weeks or so and initial deliveries hopefully some time in March. I can live with that. Quality over rushing timelines!
Yup. I should be bored of the 119s by then :D

I'm getting a new car in a few weeks and would really like to get a front/rear camera set up for it. I usually like to wait for reviews to come in on new tech, but I think I'll make an exception in this case. The only thing I'm concerned with is being able to read license plates easily... the youtube videos I watched for the single channel model weren't as clear as I hoped they would be.

Welcome to the forum skitch.

These guys i think will be the best ones to go to bed with on the first night, should take good care of you if you dont like what they have to offer.

Plate capture is a science within itself, in general i always say you can only do that on the best of days out in the open.
Thats what current technology in place will allow for, even in the best of dashcams and even with quite easy plates like the Danish ones .
US plates i believe is smaller or at least have smaller lettering + i think some states also allow for other BS on the plate that can make plate capture even harder.

I have the SG9665GC and i can easy select footage with stunning plate captures of oncoming cars where we both do 50 MPH
I can also pick situations at night where a car passing me have a readable plate too, and i can pick grey days where i get plate captures too.

But the problem is, i can just as easy find similar situations on my SD card where i dont capture squat in regard to plates, and you are like ???? WTF the conditions are just like yesterday where i got fine captures.

SO you have few options, you can load up your car with cameras ( i have 5 at the moment )
But that dont really increase your chance of a plate capture by much on those challenging days.

Last edited:
Thanks Kamkar :) Glad to have found the site!

You are right about the US. In my state we have over 50 different styles of plates on the road... at least 45 are currently offered, and then we have several others that have been phased out over the years. It is a bit ridiculous to say the least. That's why I was hoping for more clarity, but like you said they are limited by current technology. From what I have read SG stands by their product and I love that. Here's to hoping they get the new cameras out soon!

There seem to be a supply monkey in the new dual camera ( the first model of 2 ) and then Chinese new year will allso turn everything up side down.

But i can assure you as soon as i get my fingers on a test sample my cable modem will glow red hot with uploads to youtube and raw footage for download and scrutiny on your own computer.

O and i forgot to say my SG9665GC is a V1 model and it do suffer from a little heat related focus shift so it is a little "soft" as you can see in videos above, but my camera is also so early that its almost hand assembled.
I have just changed the focus a little as it was more bad now, but its better again and i feel good about handing it over to my friend for further real world testing in his car.
And rest assured that SG quality control and hardware have only become better since then :cool:

Thank you for posting those videos for me!! It's nice to see still frames of the video so you can see how clear it really is. I like your comments on the videos as well. Evil French car haha!

I live in a pretty sunny climate, so I'm hoping I won't be too affected by the shadows/clouds. Our roads are really wide tho (sometimes seven lanes wide), so I'll be curious to see what it picks up for cars going the other direction.

Yeah this was off course on a good day as SG needed a little video footage for a expo, and no need to display the shortcomings of the product.
If you look at other cameras you will also see stunning night footage, but if you hit pause and think about what you see then its not so strange it look fine.

1: its most likely in a town with more LCD billboards than the whole of Denmark but together on 1 street.
2: The traffic is moving at a crawl, so off course there is minimal of motion blur off to the side, and you can read the plate of that car overtaking the camera car cuz it is only doing 1 MPH more in speed.

A good real world thing to fight poor plate capture at night is seeing with your own eyes the plate on the offender, and then call it out loud for the microphone to pick up.

But it dont take much to ruin plate capture, drive in between some trees, even if sun is coming strait down on the road, the green trees and shade to the sides will trigger metering to use a slower exposure timing to compensate for lack of light and by doing that motion blur will go up on the things off to the side.

Same is the case if you replace trees with buildings and their shade.

And even if you are out in the open and it have been a nice sunny day witn not a single cloud in the sky, as soon as the shadows become long and the sun start to set, then the camera start to change settings to accommodate this, and again motion blur creep in and ruin everything for us.

And yet on other days, where you are sure you will not get a single plate, and then for some unknown reason the camera just capture stunning footage and you just sit there thinking WTF o_O

There is so many factors for the little sensors to fight, and they often have to surrender to overwhelming forces.

BUT ! most of the time and close to 100% the camera capture what you do just fine with your car, and if you do nothing wrong then surely you cant be blamed for anything bad happening around you.

I didn't think about me being able to say the plate number out loud for the microphone to pick up. That is an excellent suggestion! Hopefully I'll remember to do that if I ever have a problem! :)

Hit and run are on the up over here, but plate capture is not something that bother me a whole lot.
All the cameras i do have in my car is mostly a result of me being a tester for some brands, and i might nurture a small addiction too :D at least in regard to exposing ( illegally over here ) the dumbasses i see in traffic on youtube.

And i will keep doing that until i judge tell me to stop, and then i will only do so under strong protests, and i will probably keep on doing it but just keep my videos private.

My car is in for work at the end of Feb, any chance the dual remote lens, or even the 2 next gen single remote lenses will be ready?

dual remote model definitely won't be ready by then, still have work to do that will take some time

It will be released exactly one day after you buy a different cam instead of waiting any longer. Doesn't it always seem to go like that? :p

After seeing how other cams were received when they were released too early I can appreciate the "Not till it's ready" approach being taken here ;) That doesn't make the waiting any easier though; I think we've all got an "Impatient" gene inside of us- I know I do :rolleyes:

Phil

I'd like to think Street Guardian as a new brand has started to build a good reputation so definitely want keep things going in that direction with next generation products.
Street Guardians of the Galaxy.

We won't be rushing out and making any claims of greatness, I'm sure there will be fine tuning needed and will be listening closely to user feedback to see how we can improve things

Back