Street Guardian SC9665GC hardwire install

Dr Hekler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to John for the good service and Vortex radar for the suggestion to hide the flipped gps under the headliner I had the dash cam and radar detector installed with switches so I can turn on or off anytime I want
20161004_174519_zpsadqum4qk.jpg
[[/I
20161004_174553_zpsvbeeqneh.jpg

I have a similar setup with a radar detector and dash cam and it is far simpler, with no extra installation charges.

That seems like a lot of extra unnecessary work and expense unless you're into lights. Both devices have local power switches and connecting them to switched power eliminates the need for installing redundant power switches. Occasionally I'll turn off my radar detector locally, but it's rare.

It looks like a blanking plate for additional (option) switches is installed above the added switches anyway, unless that's a pull release for that model.

It would have made more sense to mount the dash cam to the left of the rearview mirror. Direct access to the memory card is blocked, so the dash cam has to be removed from its mount to get to the card. For whatever reason, your install shop neglected to add the cable cover which can be easily modified (if necessary) to make a smooth transition to the headliner; this makes for a more professional looking installation.

To each their own . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. They offered the reducer but I declined.

The reason I went with switches close by the drive is so I can turn on as needed. I actually don't use dash cam or RD all that much.

I do like Vortex suggestion of GPS under headliner...:)

Dashcam's dont immediately start recording the event when you turn them on, it takes about 10-15 seconds for them to boot up and start recording.
That's why they are meant to be "always on". Only reason I can see for a switch is if you hadwire it and want to turn it off when parking...

The reason I went with switches close by the drive is so I can turn on as needed. I actually don't use dash cam or RD all that much.
asking for trouble.
I do like Vortex suggestion of GPS under headliner...:)
under head liner? isn't the roof metal above head liner? wont that block the gps from working?

Back