Street Guardian SG9663DC 2018 - Questions from UK buyer

azibux1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had a BlackVue DR650GW-1CH but my Dad has now bought that car from me, I left the cam fitted there so am now on the hunt for a replacement camera.

Looking around and spotted the Street Guardian SGGCX2 2018 v4 mentioned here on the forum and I can get it for £169 with GPS + CPL + 128GB card which seems reasonable.

1 - Is it a good camera?? What would the video quality be like in comparison to the BlackVue?

2 - Does it have wifi? I think the answer is no

3 - Does it have a parking mode that will work correctly with a Power Magic Pro? I already have the PMP so if it works with that will be a bonus.

4 - I saw a v3 on Amazon which seems to come with a long plastic mount that hides the cables... Is there any other purpose to this mount? It seems the camera would be a lot more visible with this, despite the cables being hidden?

I would consider another BlackVue as the features (app setup, wifi, etc.) were brilliant... But I always found the video quality just a bit average.

All I want really is 1CH (not too fussed about 2CH but would consider it), good quality footage (reading number plates would be good), parking mode.

Any thoughts or suggestions please?

Thanks!

there's some comparison videos around that you can see between Blackvue and our cameras, ours are a lot different to theirs, there probably isn't any comparisons between the SGGCX2 and the Blackvue cameras but lots of SG9665GC V2 and V3 comparisons around, they'll show you what to expect

no wifi on this model

we do have some people that use Power Magic Pro's with our cameras

the cable cover is only about hiding the cables, no other function, SGGCX2 doesn't come with a cable cover right now but we are tooling one now which will be available later on

@niko is a member here and looks after your market if you need any further help

there's some comparison videos around that you can see between Blackvue and our cameras, ours are a lot different to theirs, there probably isn't any comparisons between the SGGCX2 and the Blackvue cameras but lots of SG9665GC V2 and V3 comparisons around, they'll show you what to expect

no wifi on this model

we do have some people that use Power Magic Pro's with our cameras

the cable cover is only about hiding the cables, no other function, SGGCX2 doesn't come with a cable cover right now but we are tooling one now which will be available later on

@niko is a member here and looks after your market if you need any further help
Thanks for the quick response! I will have a search for some videos

OK cool so parking mode should work perfectly fine then? Parking mode with motion detection recording?

1 - Is it a good camera?? What would the video quality be like in comparison to the BlackVue?

SGGCX2 is basically the same as SG9665GC V3 series, but with few improvements (hence it's called V4 - 2018) so you can rely on most info from the SG9665GC thread.
Side by Side night video comparison SGGCX2 (SG9665GC) vs DR650GW-1CH

Comparison with other Blackvue daschams

Thanks for the quick response! I will have a search for some videos

OK cool so parking mode should work perfectly fine then? Parking mode with motion detection recording?

In theory, you can use PMP with this dascham but it does not have automatic parking mode function.
For dashcam with parking mode function, we recommend to go with SG9663DC (2 channel) which will have special parking mode hardwiring kit available at some stage soon.

In theory, you can use PMP with this dascham but it does not have automatic parking mode function.
For dashcam with parking mode function, we recommend to go with SG9663DC (2 channel) which will have special parking mode hardwiring kit available at some stage soon.
Thanks for the response @niko! Video quality seems better for sure with SG instead of BlackVue.

So for the SG9663DC on the listing below it says Dual Channel 2x1080p/30Fps/15Mbps or 1x1080p/60Fps... How do you get the 1x1080p/60Fps? Is that by running only the front camera?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B077NTQRD3
I know you say the kit you are making is in progress - will the parking mode on the SG9663DC not work correctly with the PMP?? That way I can buy and fit it all in one go and get it working now.

Thanks! :)

So for the SG9663DC on the listing below it says Dual Channel 2x1080p/30Fps/15Mbps or 1x1080p/60Fps... How do you get the 1x1080p/60Fps? Is that by running only the front camera?

in single channel mode the camera can do 1080p60, in dual channel mode it's 2 x 1080p30, we have actually added selectable bitrate in the latest firmware so you can select from 12/15/18Mbps

I know you say the kit you are making is in progress - will the parking mode on the SG9663DC not work correctly with the PMP?? That way I can buy and fit it all in one go and get it working now.

its a 3 wire solution which can change modes in the camera, that isn't possible if you use a PMP

in single channel mode the camera can do 1080p60, in dual channel mode it's 2 x 1080p30, we have actually added selectable bitrate in the latest firmware so you can select from 12/15/18Mbps
That's quite a nice feature!!
its a 3 wire solution which can change modes in the camera, that isn't possible if you use a PMP
Ahh OK... Any idea on release date for the UK?

So in the meantime I can only have it running while the car is running - correct? If I just fit the camera and plug it into an ignition live 12v?

Ahh OK... Any idea on release date for the UK?

So in the meantime I can only have it running while the car is running - correct? If I just fit the camera and plug it into an ignition live 12v?

we should hopefully have the new power cable all sorted this first quarter, still have some testing to do, Chinese New Year does slow things down a bit at this time of year but we are hoping to be able to do production after the CNY holiday break

at the moment they are only setup to function in ignition switched mode

we should hopefully have the new power cable all sorted this first quarter, still have some testing to do, Chinese New Year does slow things down a bit at this time of year but we are hoping to be able to do production after the CNY holiday break

at the moment they are only setup to function in ignition switched mode
OK cool! I need to do a bit more research but I'll probably end up going for the SG9663DC then and just run it with ignition for now - then wait for this new cable.

It has the same style of adjustable angle lens as the SGGCX2?? The way it can 'swivel' to get the right angle?

@niko / @jokiin couple of quick questions

1 - For the Street Guardian SG9663DC I don't see any mention of parking mode on any of the specs - is it going to be added in a software update? Or is the cable all that's needed (when it is made) and it will just work?

2 - Is there any chance the 128GB one will be fulfilled by Amazon UK and available with Amazon prime? The 64GB is from NIKO Distrubution but not 128GB

parking mode is in the firmware already, needs the updated power lead for it to function

the memory question @niko will need to answer
Thanks for the quick response. Great! I assume of course the new power lead will be sold separately for existing users who already have the camera? If I wait, will the new lead be sold with the camera for the current price? Or will it always be an extra?

OK thanks regarding the memory, I see it is only £10 more for double the storage so makes sense to wait for the answer from @niko, just seems strange that the 128GB isn't Amazon fulfilled

the power lead will always be an extra but we will probably look at doing some rebated pricing for customers that bought prior to release

the power lead will always be an extra but we will probably look at doing some rebated pricing for customers that bought prior to release
OK good stuff - I won't be wasting money as such buying the camera now then :)

Will wait for the word from Niko then I'll go ahead and buy the 128GB if he can make it Amazon fulfilled hopefully

Sorry @jokiin I keep reading here and thinking of more questions.

With the PMP that connects to ignition live, permanent live and earth - and has the added benefits of the battery monitoring so it doesn't drain the car battery too much - will the 3-wire hardwire kit you're releasing be able to monitor the battery level to cut the camera off if the battery gets too low??

Thanks!

Back