Is there a Starvis single channel on the way as wel?
Street Guardian SG9663DC (DC = Dual Channel)
Video resolution:
1 camera separately (front) = Full HD 1920x1080, 60 fps
2 cameras together (front + back) = 1920x1080 Full HD, 2 x 30 fps
Alex's post suggests single channel, unless someone would buy dual-channel then just run the front? Thinking about that, on the few occasions when I want to run the camera whilst parked, I only really need one channel running - depending on whether I've forward- or reverse-parked into a space. At the moment I reverse park wherever possible so that the front-facing GC has something to look at. My rear-facing Mobius isn't currently wired for recording whilst parked.

Does it have an LCD screen to preview front and rear cam?

At the moment I reverse park wherever possible so that the front-facing GC has something to look at. My rear-facing Mobius isn't currently wired for recording whilst parked.

I run my rear camera regardless of how I park. Why not? Of course, I have a pick-up truck and a rear cam is useful for keeping an eye on my cargo but not unlike the image I posted recently of some jerk putting his potted plants down on the hood of my vehicle at a nursery while I was off shopping you just never know what can happen to your vehicle when you are not around, so my philosophy is to run all my cams no matter what. I'd hate to come back and discover something unexpected and realize I'd have captured it, if only.................:) Not all threats are impacts from other cars. Sometimes it can be a pedestrian tampering with your vehicle even if you are backed into the parking space.

Last edited:
I run my rear camera regardless of how I park. Why not? Of course, I have a pick-up truck and a rear cam is useful for keeping an eye on my cargo but not unlike the image I posted recently of some jerk putting his potted plants down on the hood of my vehicle at a nursery while I was off shopping you just never know what can happen to your vehicle when you are not around, so my philosophy is to run all my cams no matter what. I'd hate to come back and discover something unexpected and realize I'd have captured it, if only.................:) Not all threats are impacts from other cars.
Fair point. At the moment my rear cam is powered from a 12v socket in the boot, with a neat short cable under the trim edge. I've not yet wired it to the centre console where I keep my USB sockets and power bank.

Fair point. At the moment my rear cam is powered from a 12v socket in the boot, with a neat short cable under the trim edge. I've not yet wired it to the centre console where I keep my USB sockets and power bank.

I understand. I was really responding more to the question of whether to use just the front cam from the SG9663DC but perhaps not the rear one rather than in reference to your current set-up. Speaking for myself, if I already had the capability ready to go I would use it even if the chances that it might actually be needed are low. Three years now of using multiple dash cams while parked has made me keenly aware that all kinds of odd, unexpected events that may not involve other cars can happen to or near your vehicle when one is not around.

I think this is the best option for use in Parking mode (I use 4 years)

Power Magic Pro

e714Upu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
not at this stage although it certainly could be used as a single channel camera if for whatever reason that was something someone wanted to do

I'm thinking someone might want dual channel setup in their primary car, and would install a 2nd mount in their secondary hobby/part time vehicle for single channel mode.

Alex's post suggests single channel, unless someone would buy dual-channel then just run the front? Thinking about that, on the few occasions when I want to run the camera whilst parked, I only really need one channel running - depending on whether I've forward- or reverse-parked into a space. At the moment I reverse park wherever possible so that the front-facing GC has something to look at. My rear-facing Mobius isn't currently wired for recording whilst parked.

I know in this situation we're only talking about what you might catch on camera and not actual car theft but a side note that might interest you while on the topic, statistically of cars stolen from parking lots 80% are reversed in, the theory is that the car thieves prefer to be able to see if someone is coming rather than having their backs turned on anyone that might be approaching, generally faster to exit as well I guess

Car theft has changed over the recent years, as many cars now have electronic security in the key so that breaking or picking the ignition switch will still not make the car go :p Pro thieves have equipment to get around most of that but most cars aren't taken by 'pros'. The new 'norm' in many places is the 'snatch' wrecker. One of these with either no signage or with fake magnetic signs grabs the car as if it was being repossessed for non-payment on a loan. Anyone who sees thinks "Haha- they'll pay the loan next time" instead of thinking "They're stealing that car!" then everyone forgets about it. As soon as they clear the area, the wrecker signs change, the car (and sometimes wrecker) plate gets swapped, and the car heads for a chop-shop :( Like the old movie it's gone in 60 seconds :eek: Parking straight in where they can't tow from the front with your wheels turned all the way to one side means they then have to spend extra time on the crime scene, so your chances are now much better that they will pass you by for an easier target ;)

Phil

Car theft has changed over the recent years, as many cars now have electronic security in the key so that breaking or picking the ignition switch will still not make the car go :p Pro thieves have equipment to get around most of that but most cars aren't taken by 'pros'. The new 'norm' in many places is the 'snatch' wrecker. One of these with either no signage or with fake magnetic signs grabs the car as if it was being repossessed for non-payment on a loan. Anyone who sees thinks "Haha- they'll pay the loan next time" instead of thinking "They're stealing that car!" then everyone forgets about it. As soon as they clear the area, the wrecker signs change, the car (and sometimes wrecker) plate gets swapped, and the car heads for a chop-shop :( Like the old movie it's gone in 60 seconds :eek: Parking straight in where they can't tow from the front with your wheels turned all the way to one side means they then have to spend extra time on the crime scene, so your chances are now much better that they will pass you by for an easier target ;)

Phil

How come you know so much about this? :D

How come you know so much about this? :D
I know some honest wrecker drivers who know some not-so-honest ones, plus I still have some LE connections ;)

Phil

Phil

what is becoming far more common recently is breaking into houses and stealing the keys

Back