Street Guardian SG9663DC or Thinkware F800pro?

Lockzie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I currently have a Nextbase 512 front and rear hard wired. After an epic fail with the nextbase, which resulted in the dashcam failing the day my car got hit in a car park. I returned the dashcam back to Argos, who exchanged it, but I no longer have any faith in it. My car has the nextbase hardwiring.

I am looking at two cams: Street Guardian SG9663DC and Thinkware F800pro?
I like the fab feedback about the Street Guardian SG9663DC and I like the extras on the Street Thinkware F800pro? The Street Guardian SG9663DC has a card which comes with it so keeps the cost down a little. Will the Nextbase hard wiring work with the Street Guardian SG9663DC?
I am unsure how the hotspots work with the Thinkware, if it connects to my phone hotspot, that means that I will be in the car, so I’m not sure what the benefit will be

Confused

I would like opinions please....
Thanks in advance

Reactions: RLS
Will the Nextbase hard wiring work with the Street Guardian SG9663DC?

Yes but only for power. Won't work if you want to use Parking Mode, for that you'll need their 3 wire hardwire kit.

Yes but only for power. Won't work if you want to use Parking Mode, for that you'll need their 3 wire hardwire kit.

I thought that would be the case, thanks for your reply

I am unsure how the hotspots work with the Thinkware, if it connects to my phone hotspot, that means that I will be in the car, so I’m not sure what the benefit will be

this function seems to have poor feedback, I don't know that they have it working correctly as yet

I have both cameras (and many, many more haha....).

F800 Pro:
+good motion detection
+form factor
+slightly thinner rear camera cable
+time lapse + motion detection Parking is cool

-lower max operating temp (I’ve come back to it being overheated on hotter summer days, like 95F+ outside)
-on the low end of IMX291 Starvis cameras in terms of image quality
-audio is so muffled/noisy if you have a car with stiff suspension, or when you have the windows down. I have ripped apart the camera and added windscreen foam, but that only helps reduce it by maybe 50%?
-the front LED has only a few options...all of which are super obvious (maybe some people like this; but I want stealthy drawing minimal attention).

SG9663DC:
+can run off 5V battery pack, but then no parking mode
+clear audio, less wind noise (windows down), less vibration noise. So far, best audio clarity of any dashcam I own.
+cheaper CPL (works for both front and rear)
+much higher operating temperatures
+**best customer service**
+best night footage of all Starvis 1080p cameras (here is comparison with 1440p Starvis that has lower image brightness and stronger 30mm CPL: )

-fat rear wires (same with most 2ch 1080p cams)
-only time lapse available for parking mode
-parking mode time limit to 24 hours (I run mine with one of my Cellink Neo)
-my speaker has stopped working... opened it up and noticed the solder separated, so wires fell off for speaker. But the camera has never overheated in my black on black car, where dashcams have reached 180F+ measured with laser therm. Decided to add a bit of windscreen foam to mic, since I already opened cam. Best sound got even better :)

Hope this helps :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to have a lot of cameras, are they being used in a couple of different vehicles?

I’m a car enthusiast that has multiple cars, with multiple dashcams in each car haha. I constantly swap in the latest and greatest. Also, I install for friends/family in the car scene, so I have tested cameras in many cars, from economical cars to exotics to hyper cars.

I tinker with dashcams as a hobby, due to my software/hardware(embedded) background in R&D.

Dashcams have helped me fight multiple tickets (5 this year lol), give me peace of mind while driving and while the cars are parked).

I would say that I have at least one of basically every dashcam on the market (besides the cheap off brand ones).

Are you interested in looking at some updated product when available?

Would love to!

I also have quite the collection of Street Guardian products hahah. You guys make the best high temp cams for sure :)

Back