Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 record issues

Mr. Big

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the above referenced dash cam and I'm finding that it leaves gaps in video recording. I have it set to record 5-minute segments and I'm finding that there are times when it'll only record a minute or two of video and then it'll stop and not start recording again for a few seconds (sometimes a few minutes) after that. I have it attached to my rear window so I can see that the white power light is always on, but the red blinking recording indicator will stop blinking and then start again. Is this a firmware issue, an SD card issue or an equipment issue?

I have the above referenced dash cam and I'm finding that it leaves gaps in video recording. I have it set to record 5-minute segments and I'm finding that there are times when it'll only record a minute or two of video and then it'll stop and not start recording again for a few seconds (sometimes a few minutes) after that. I have it attached to my rear window so I can see that the white power light is always on, but the red blinking recording indicator will stop blinking and then start again. Is this a firmware issue, an SD card issue or an equipment issue?
Do you have motion detection turned on? Sounds like it based on what's happening.

Yes, motion detection is turned on, but I thought that if it detected anything it would just send that file to a separate folder that won't be erased and continue recording without interruption.

Last edited:
Yes, motion detection is turn on, but I thought that if it detected anything it would just send that file to a separate folder that won't be erased and continue recording without interruption.

that's not how motion detect works, the G-Sensor will send files to another folder if it detects an impact

turn motion detect off and it will work correctly

you might want to update the firmware if you haven't done that already also

Yes, motion detection is turn on, but I thought that if it detected anything it would just send that file to a separate folder that won't be erased and continue recording without interruption.
You're confusing motion detection with the G-Sensor function. What you describe is what happens when the G-Sensor detects an 'impact'. Motion detection on the other hand looks for motion within the video frame and if none is detected will cease recording. It sounds good on paper but in real life doesn't function all that well. This is across almost all dash cams, not just specific brands.

In some trial and error I done over time I've determined that, generally speaking, for MD to be triggered it requires motion to occur over approximately 40-50% of the frame for about a second. The specifics vary from one camera to another but you get the idea.

I once set up a dash cam as a 'security cam' overlooking my driveway, front porch, and entire front yard including the street and my neighbors' driveways/sidewalks/yards. Over a period of 5 days not once was motion detection ever triggered. Activities that occurred included parcel deliveries, people entering/leaving the front door, vehicles entering/leaving the garage, vehicles using my driveway to turn around, etc. The reliability/sensitivity of MD just is not at a level to make it useful.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the replies! I will turn that feature off and see if that solves the problem. Thanks!

Back