+ Very Small & discrete (easy to hide behind rear view mirror),
+ a lot of accessories in the box,
+ memory card 64/128GB works fine!

Cons:
- Very Poor Lens quality...
- Housing quality / build quality
- No HDMI out
- GPS 1Hz (DOD 10Hz)
- 35GBP for CPL filter - the most expensive CPL filter in the world?
- Image quality as for camera with Sony IMX322 is quite poor,
- Many Hot-Pixels at night - 2 units has the same problem,
- unable to rotate camera or lens horizontaly

Last edited:

- Very Poor Lens quality...
- Housing quality
- GPS 1Hz
- 35GBP for CPL filter - the most expensive CPL filter in the world?
- Image quality as for camera with Sony IMX322 is quite poor,
- Many Hot-Pixels at night - 2 units has the same problem,
- unable to rotate camera or lens horizontaly

What's the agenda here?

You said: "Very Poor Lens quality/Housing Quality"

Excuse me? Says who???? GC has a quality lens, and all metal lens housing.

GPS works great, not sure what you mean by 1Hz

CPL filter can only be made in small batches since it's 3D printed and hand assembled. Full history here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/

Sony IMX322 has one of the best night performances around. I don't think the GC would be flying off the shelf the last year if it was "quite poor". It's still recommended on the front page of dashcamtalk

The occasional hot pixels can be fixed with sensor calibration. If you're in the UK, Contact @niko for instructions, and me if you're in the USA.

If you use the included thick mount you can swing the lens fully up for near vertical windows. (no problem)

In the clips above, the DOD does appear to have a step up in video quality over the SG in certain situations.

My concern about DOD - and why I am very hesitant to buy their products anymore (sometimes branded Nextbase in the UK) - is their unremarkable customer support and my concerns over what I fear is corner-cutting in the designs in what I presume is DOD's/NB's attempts to keep costs down (underlined by only a one-year warranty on DOD/NB compared to two years from the likes of SG <according to @niko's site> and two years from Transcend and Mio).

Maybe the "agenda" here is objective truth rather than the ongoing drumbeat of hype and promotion we are constantly subjected to regarding the SG9665GC?

The side by side comparison between the LS470W and the SG9665GC reveals the Street Guardian to be out classed and out performed on many parameters, especially in regard to lens sharpness.

Aside from all of the dynamic range and contrast issues I've tried to bring to everyone's attention, my SG9665GC has now gone so far out of focus that it is essentially becoming unusable! I've reached a point now where I absolutely don't care to hear the hype about the so called high quality metal lens, the alleged heat resistance and all the rest of it.

You know, questioning someone's "agenda" who happens to be providing legitimate, carefully done side by side comparisons is low road behavior. Why not concern yourself with the apparent shortcomings with this camera rather than attacking the messenger?

Here are some recent examples from my SG9665GC regarding how well my so called "quality lens, and all metal lens housing" are performing.

focus2.jpg

SG9665GC1focus.jpg

When I buy a product I rarely need support unless there's an actual problem.

With the dod camera. If you buy from the UK distributor you will also get 2 years warranty

http://www.hdigital-eye.com/ls470.html

In the clips above, the DOD does appear to have a step up in video quality over the SG in certain situations.

My concern about DOD - and why I am very hesitant to buy their products anymore (sometimes branded Nextbase in the UK) - is their unremarkable customer support and my concerns over what I fear is corner-cutting in the designs in what I presume is DOD's/NB's attempts to keep costs down (underlined by only a one-year warranty on DOD/NB compared to two years from the likes of SG <according to @niko's site> and two years from Transcend and Mio).

I'm intrigued to see if DOD solved the focus issues in heat with this one as so far it has looked impressive - with the two LS460s I tried when they went out of focus (which they did a lot) they were much worse than @Dashmellow's examples above.

@Pier28 the GPS 1Hz is the updates per second, DOD sell the 470 as having 10Hz GPS which is 10 updates per second and I think they were selling this camera as being well suited for trackdays etc as you could get very accurate times for quarter miles and so on. I've seen other cameras with more than 1 update per second but it's just repeate

@traveler is the only person around here I can think of who would be able to confirm that from a raw video (unless the GPS data is logged as text in which case it's easy to see).

To be fair the SG has been out for over a year now and the v1 units I use here have been solid units and you're not just paying the £35 for a simple screw type CPL but a CPL and a custom designed mount for the camera unit itself - the DOD one for the LS470+ is £20 extra and that's a standard screw in type one.

Some people are lucky and don't need dashmats or CPLs with some cameras but unfortunately I'm not one of them. It's swings and roundabouts as ones closer to the glass seem to suffer more from reflections in the day but at night they have less problems with imperfections in the glass such as scratches etc although the lenses they use can also affect this.

Time always moves on and these things are improving though.

The filter on the sg is created that way cos there is no screw on method? Just guessing.

The extra £20 on the ls470w+ also gives you a 3" screen compared to the 2.7

I allways said DOD can put together a good dashcam, but the form factor of them and the issues that plauged older model is a turn off for me.

If they had another shape and i had money to buy one i would not mind trying one, but with the new 470 i think i would wait and see til after the summer when ppl had ther DOD cameras heat up really good ( heat induced focus shift beeing a major issue with older DOD cameras )

Is strange DOD seen to fumble 10 feet from the goal line every time, at least thats how it appear to me, the focus shift is just about the only problem i heard about ther products, or at least the only issue that stayed with the grey goo between my ears.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison. Looks like the DOD has a better lens. The difference in sharpness and low light quality shows.

Hows the parking mode on the DOD? Im after a front cam that has a reliable parking mode.

For the sheer size of it, I'd say don't have it as parking mode, I don't find it discreet enough to feel safe, battery or no battery, if you are looking for something for parking mode, you need something that is very discreet.

Thanks for the comparison. Looks like the DOD has a better lens. The difference in sharpness and low light quality shows.

Hows the parking mode on the DOD? Im after a front cam that has a reliable parking mode.

That's a shame its battery.

Why does it need to be discreet?

True, plenty of brazen idiots that will break your window just to steal some coins. Though im more worried about parking hit n runs to be honest.

I should just buy an ex-Google street view vehicle lol

True, plenty of brazen idiots that will break your window just to steal some coins. Though im more worried about parking hit n runs to be honest.

parking mode is no guarantee of catching something like that, it misses as much as it gets, very few cameras have an effective parking mode function, the majority don't, even if you catch something in some circumstances the video can be overwritten before you even get to see it, it's a very flawed application at the best of times

I get the rhetoric about batteries in dash cams in higher temperature climates, but what does it have to do with parking mode? Assuming users have bought a dash cam they feel will work well for their climate, then parking mode use shouldn't be an issue with said camera.

What makes motion sensing parking mode on dashcams unreliable?

Perhaps take a lesson from trailcams?

I get the rhetoric about batteries in dash cams in higher temperature climates, but what does it have to do with parking mode? Assuming users have bought a dash cam they feel will work well for their climate, then parking mode use shouldn't be an issue with said camera.

LiPo batteries are rated as stable to 45°c when powered, you want parking mode the camera needs to be powered, a locked car parked in the sun will get to 30°c above the ambient temperature in around 30 minutes, pretty much anywhere in the world you're likely to be using this you're going to exceed that threshold in Summer quite easily

What makes motion sensing parking mode on dashcams unreliable?

Generally the problem is sensitivity. Too sensitive and it records continuously, not sensitive enough it misses stuff. I think what jokiin is trying to say it is not a 100% guarantee that you will get footage of what you want. I had an Itronics before and it did record (with buffer) the time a tree branch fell on my truck and broke the windshield, and that was at night with pretty poor lighting. So although not perfect, it's better than nothing sometimes.

Back