Street Guardian SG9665GC vs Xiaomi CAR DVR (2016)- [Sony Exmor IMX322 vs Aptina AR0230]

-Pizdys-

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
better than yours....

Xiaomi smart CAR DVR (2016)

Pros:
+ World first dashcam with Aprina AR0230 (3µm x 3µm per PX Dr-Pix technology, 105GB eHDR+DLO mode)
+ WiFi (via Realtek RTL8189) - very powerful - works better than GoPro HERO 4 Black (I'm really surprise about WiFi connectivity and performance)
+ looks like Apeture is real F1.8 (very bright and very easy catch fast moving object sharp and clear).
+ 1080p@60FPS - really high performance mode,
+ memory cards 64GB and 128GB works just fine,
+ cheap camera with new AR0230 + Novatek 96660
+ Very good APP and clever UI (easy find and download video files)

Cons:
- battery :/
- 1296p mode interpolated [due to the fact that AR0230 has Active Array: 1928(H) x 1088(V)]
- eHDR feature doesn't work (no DLO mode...)
- no GPS
- looks camera losing focus when is hot... (or just my camera version is more-less like Prototype?)

I'm awaiting for firmware update regarding eHDR mode / DLO mode

Last edited:
- looks camera losing focus when is hot... (or just my camera version is more-less like Prototype?)
Also my camera is losing focus, the thread of XiaoMi Yi focus problems is here.

so far well done Xiaomi!
I am curious what part was well done by XiaoYi? That already famous and overrated 3µm x 3µm is useless if image is not clear. Maybe the XiaoYi was developed to work only during night or only during winter?

Here are just few Pro and Cons from me:

Pro:
- working stable, no problems
- good Wi-Fi
- good image (not the best, can be better!) when lens is not out of focus

Cons:
- it is XiaoYi not XiaoMi. This is the first trying to cheat buyers. XiaoMi are making some great smartphones and other quality gadgets. On XiaoYi site there is no smartphone, no product made by real XiaoMi. On XiaoMi site there is no Yi camera. The old www.xiaoyi.com is redirecting to another site, called yitechnology. Maybe XiaoMi just wanted to stop XiaoYi using their fame to sell poor products affecting the XiaoMi good reputation. And this dashcam name is not even XiaoYi, just Yi because I see nowhere the XiaoYi brand name, just the owner of the website as XiaoYi.

- the second cheat is the misterious A12 chipset. When was announced they tried to fool people the camera is with Ambarella A12 , the famous GoPro chipset. They are using the cheapest NT96660 version because of no Video out and GPS, proof here. At first time XiaoYi wanted to erase the Novatek name from chipset and write A12, I am not sure if even the Ambarella name. XiaoMi got that information and got mad about that. Maybe this is the reason xiaoyi.com disappeared? It is a shame to declare you are using a great 2015-2016 chipset made by Novatek?

- the third cheat is interpolated SuperHD, 1296p. Why this? Only no-names cameras are using this dirty trick to fool average Joe.

- focus problems because of heat. This is the biggest problem because for me was impossible to disassemble the camera and try some fix. The famous 3µm x 3µm is not helping me to see car numbers during day. This problem cannot be solved via firmware update, just money lost on product and custom taxes. People should not buy XiaoYi Yi dashcam until another people is proving with disassembled camera that they changed the lens.

- poor mount. The suction cup is poor quality. Is wobbling starting from the transparent part then down to all its components

- stupid mount system. A lot of effort to take out the camera. Even with a future fixed mount their idea is bad.

- very visible, poor camera design. Combined to mount system and suction cup, they copied one of the cheapest and poor dshcams designs. Just fake IR LEDs are missing to be a disaster regarding form factor.

- stupid colors for case. Grey and gold?

- too glossy back screen. Because you can not hide the camera under the rearview mirror objects and light are reflecting from outside right part of the car when driving and after some time you will find this disturbing. Your eyes will be distracted by something which is happening on the right side and after many hours of driving you will be tired about this. Some people will not understand this until they will drive with such glossy camera.

- no GPS

- no Ambarella chipset, no hacks like on their Yi DVR. Some people will buy the dashcam just thinking to scripts.

I just don't want to support cheaters, look also to my actual signature.
Right now any camera with no focus problems, not only Street Guardian, is better than Yi dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I think XiaoYi doesn't has much experience regarding "how make a dashcam" and what problems can appear in real world, like heat (from sun),
anyway, I believe that AR0230 has big potential and can be very strong and serious image sensor in next dash cams (if will be build well),

I mention this there:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-yi-1080p-car-wifi-dvr-is-coming.15351/page-8

I also updated my "cons" in above review :)
many thanks!

Reactions: Mtz
I like your day video comparison. How about a night comparison. That is where you separate the toys and real dashcam. Yi is decent for daytime. SG should knock the Yi out of the park when it comes on night video (imo).

Back