Street Guardian SGGCX2 PRO either turns off or keeps rebooting

maxpower4

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,

I've seen this sort of thing talked about on here while searching, however I thought mine may be a little different.

I've had this cam for nearly 1 1/2 years, and a couple of months ago, it started to do things like flicker when turning on, and it would take longer for the GPS unit to kick in. The sound would also be funny upon start up.

Then, it would reboot while it was on, then more and more frequently. I looked on here and tried the firmware update. Worked perfectly after that...for two days, then it would reboot over and over and over, or not at all following that.

Do I need another power source to see if it is the problem, or has it bit the dust?

Yes, although it's connected to a splitter so my phone can be charged, it doesn't matter either way, it still happens.

Have you tried a different memory card? Could be early symptoms of a card failure.

Power or memory are the two most common points of failure for any camera, it sounds more like a power issue though, where are you located?

My experience say that i have often seen cameras flicker when booting, then it is a result of not enough power.
I saw this lately where i tried other power sources for the Zenfox T3 i am testing.

But no doubt the AU main branch will resolve this fast.

Thanks for the replies so far, I tried taking it out of the splitter, just in case it did have something to do with it being plugged into it. Despite it appearing not to make any difference.

I've plugging it directly into the socket, and it has worked one day so far, so I'll see how that goes.

I ran a two-port 2.4A Anker ciggie-plug PS for several years and eventually one side went bad. Thinking it was the socket I tore into it and discovered it was actually 2 separate PS's, one of which had failed although it still showed voltage on a meter and would still handle smaller loads, but it couldn't reliably boot up a cam :( The other side still works fine so it now powers one of my side-cams. The USB industry standard is 500mA (1/2A) @ 5VDC, whereas most cams need around 1500mA (1 1/2A) to function reliably. Many non-cam PS's including those built into cars simply do not supply enough current as they really do not have to in order to comply with the standard. This can also lead to cabling issues as many of those cannot handle the higher current cams need either, and most of the cheaper ones are CCA (copper-clad aluminum) which degrades over time and loses the ability to carry enough current.

The best advice is to run the PS supplied with the cam, because save for the cheapest cams, it has been tested with the cam and will work properly for you. SG in particular supplies very good PS's which very rarely give problems so I think you're now going to find your problems solved :cool:

Phil

Unfortunately, I'm afraid this morning, it did it again...just driving along, then the start up sound happens, and a little while later again, and so on

But then, this afternoon, I didn't hear it, and it appeared to be on. So, I'm not sure what's going on here.

The camera has an auto restart function if the recording stops, random restarts while driving can be indicative of a memory card problem

What memory card are you using?

Have you formatted the card recently?

It's a Samsung one, 64GB. I formatted the card before the firmware update last week.

Looking at the files on the card, today, I took a trip which lasted 28 minutes. For the first 15 minutes it was fine, however, the speed display goes to showing --- ---, then nothing, just date and time, then alternates, then it stops recording after that. For the last three minutes, it worked. Only the last three minutes worked for my next leg, then on the run home, it worked fine. So it does seem random. I do have another Samsung card somewhere to try, or would you suggest buying a new one?

I've bought a Samsung Endurance card, formatted, firmware etc....still does the same thing. It turns on, screen flickers, then goes out. Sometimes it may turn itself on again, sometimes it doesn't. Rarely it works for longer than two minutes.

I thought I might still update you first - two days ago it has started to work again, without the cutting out. It hasn't cut out since, except the audio is choppy for the first five minutes of each recording.

Obviously you won't know until it's been looked at. Is there a possibility that the randomness of the cutting out means a broken wire in the cord? Or because of the choppy audio means it's to do with the unit itself?

Back