Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
It is something else than a IMX 323 rear camera for sure. :cool:

dsm363

Reaction score
Country
United States
How does parking mode work with a Tesla (hardwired for power)? Wondering if you actually need the extra wiring since it's one big battery.

Thinking about swapping out my SG9665GC for this new one.

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
the extra wire is needed as it is used to switch modes when the ignition is off, I don't know anything about the electrical setup in a Tesla though so not sure what options you have there

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Yeah i am sure a Tesla must have some safeguards to parasitic drain as after all the car batteries are not yet super impressive, so Any ampere you loose for other things are less distance you can drive.
I would not be supriced if some circuits in a tesla allowed for a littl lekage, and others would just go bonkers if a drain was detected on those.

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
really not sure, need to be rich to own a Tesla in Australia, don't know anyone that has one to be able to get a look

dsm363

Reaction score
Country
United States
really not sure, need to be rich to own a Tesla in Australia, don't know anyone that has one to be able to get a look
Tesla Motors Club is a good forum. Could maybe ask there if someone local would be willing to help you take a look. They are pricey but amazing cars.

dsm363

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah i am sure a Tesla must have some safeguards to parasitic drain as after all the car batteries are not yet super impressive, so Any ampere you loose for other things are less distance you can drive.
I would not be supriced if some circuits in a tesla allowed for a littl lekage, and others would just go bonkers if a drain was detected on those.
It's plugged into power right now and seems to record 24/7 and doesn't seem to cause a problem. So I guess that's like parking mode since it seems to always record.

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's plugged into power right now and seems to record 24/7 and doesn't seem to cause a problem. So I guess that's like parking mode since it seems to always record.
If it has power all the time then it will just record as normal

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
The 2 wire parking mode in the new cameras, i was assuming that could be used with something like his setup in the Tesla, and so G-sensor would just be the trigger to go into or out of parking mode.

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
A model 3 in its very basic form will cost you 78.000 AUD here, the Roaster will set you back 338.000 AUD, the basic Model S will set you back 143.000 AUD or 210.000 AUD for the full Monty performance and everything beside winter wheels.
And i think they are still subsidized a little here, much more some years back when rich and entitled tree huggers really went Tesla bonanza on my tax dime.

That last part not aimed at you dsm363, i am not the kind of person that point fingers at people i am not entitled to do so, and i think the Danish Tesla drivers i am okay with, i actually call their cars for "our" cars since i co-financed them with tax breaks.
What go on in the US i have no knowledge about, and would only like to discuss on the front porch with a cold one in the hand and more in the fridge,,,,, i have many questions to my American internet friends.

Last edited:

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
We don't use that method as it's not foolproof
I know i just figured you had it there in the options so people with older type 2 wire hard-wire kids could use that with their new SG camera.
Testing with this very setup on the K2S i have been dealt a few blows, and also backed myself into a corner with ignorance / being unaccustomed with using parking mode.
ACC type parking mode do seem smarter or more something i can relate to, though when i get to try it i will probably also make a ass of myself, just hope i find out on my own again before i hit the post reply button.

dsm363

Reaction score
Country
United States
A model 3 in its very basic form will cost you 78.000 AUD here, the Roaster will set you back 338.000 AUD, the basic Model S will set you back 143.000 AUD or 210.000 AUD for the full Monty performance and everything beside winter wheels.
And i think they are still subsidized a little here, much more some years back when rich and entitled tree huggers really went Tesla bonanza on my tax dime.

That last part not aimed at you dsm363, i am not the kind of person that point fingers at people i am not entitled to do so, and i think the Danish Tesla drivers i am okay with, i actually call their cars for "our" cars since i co-financed them with tax breaks.
What go on in the US i have no knowledge about, and would only like to discuss on the front porch with a cold one in the hand and more in the fridge,,,,, i have many questions to my American internet friends.
I don't want to derail this thread but just wanted to point out that tax breaks are given for all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. People who receive them love them but when they go towards something they don't like, they are considered wasteful. Oil and gas are heavily subsidized worldwide to the tune of around $500 billion a year and people don't seem to mind cheap gas for some reason. You see the same complaints here. Someone who writes off their mortgage interest for 30 years, takes multiple child tax credits and other deductions complains about a single person who rents an apartment and gets a one time electric car tax credit (which costs the government less money over time).

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Indeed, its a quagmire.
Danes pay the same just about as Americans for gasoline, but for a liter, you guys get a whole gallon ( 3.7 liters as i recall )
filled up yesterday costing 1.66 USD / liter for my 95 octane unleaded go-juice
EDIT : okay thats only 2X as gas price in US sem to be just shy of 0.85 USD / liter now.
But as you can see if you go on vacation over here in the old land, for the love of god don't bring your nice vintage big block car :eek:

Last edited:

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
How does parking mode work with a Tesla
Which year and model? The S has had a switched 12V socket circuit you can tap into since at least the 2014 model year (see https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/spare-switched-12v-circuit-on-model-s-built-after-july-2014.47698/). And someone I know got a new Model 3 late last year but chose to tap into the stereo amp in the rear for switched power. I’ve asked him if he happened to know of a 12V constant source, which would be necessary to use the parking mode hardwire.

OR you could use one of the self-contained battery power sources that only gets charged when 12V power is switched on, but it continues to provide power to your cam (and switch to parking mode), right? Might be the easier path, though it does mean you have to buy that extra item.

Regarding the rear amp source, in case it helps, this is what he had to say about it in his Model 3:

“Note: Any time the car is not "Sleeping" this is ON. It is on more often than the Cigarette Lighter Adapter Circuit. But it does shut OFF. I bent U shape lug to 90 degrees and wedged it in there. I didn't want to tap the wire. Partly because it's very large gauge.”

You can see where he did it in this pic:
57927C72-7CAE-419F-B0B7-8467B9032686.jpeg

If he does know about a 12V constant source, I’ll share it here as well.

Last edited:

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
By the way, @jokiin or @Street Guardian USA have y’all considered producing your own battery powered solution? I know BlackVue makes their own, and they’re generally available from Juicebox and there’s the Cellink NEO, and if you were super into it you could actually make your own from a quality LiFePO4 battery (like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JK06CK8), but unless it’s not worth it from a business standpoint it seems like it would be a cool expansion to the SG offerings and provide a good option for people with cars that aren’t well set up for hardwired like these Teslas and some German cars, etc.

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By the way, @jokiin or @Street Guardian USA have y’all considered producing your own battery powered solution? I know BlackVue makes their own, and they’re generally available from Juicebox and there’s the Cellink NEO, and if you were super into it you could actually make your own from a quality LiFePO4 battery (like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JK06CK8), but unless it’s not worth it from a business standpoint it seems like it would be a cool expansion to the SG offerings and provide a good option for people with cars that aren’t well set up for hardwired like these Teslas and some German cars, etc.
actually we sent an enquiry to the manufacturer that does the Cellink and Blackvue battery products recently, unfortunately they never bothered to respond so no progress on that front

OP
alexsoll

alexsoll

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Dash Cam
Street Guardian, BlackVue, TrendVision
SGGCX2PRO _ 60fps _ 36Mb/s (test FW)