Street Guardian SGZC12SG - producing bad mp4 files ... is it the SD cards?

MessyPotamia

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm concerned because I initially praised this unit and "Registrator"'s compatibility with it. I tested it with a 64G SanDisk ultra micro SDXC (that's all I had at the time) with the intention of getting a truly optimum fullsize SDHC / SDXC card (i.e. non-micro, because you said the full size tend to be more reliable).
You said one of the SD cards you recommend is Transcend, so I order 2 32G and 1 64G sdxc's. You said let the SG format the 32G, and "see" if the SG will format the 64G. I tested both cards today. Both tests resulted in each trip producing at least 2 bad .mp4 files out of the about 6 to 8 files in each trip. The first clue was I was watching the playback and suddenly it skipped ahead about 5 minutes. I determined where this was happening, tried to play that individual .mp4 with two external viewers (WMP and QuickTime) , and it was indeed broken/corrupt.
Again, reviewing the advice on here from Pier28 and others, I let the DVR format the cards, I used the cards recommended, and it is giving defective performance. I need to either get a definitive fix for this bug, (SD Cards? some of you recommended against SanDisk, but that was the only one that didn't produce a bad video file), or return this via amazon to the shipper. I cannot, and I believe anyone else who relies on their dashcam should an unfortunate event occur cannot, accept this level of risk of the device failing to perform should it actually be needed.
Of course I would prefer to work this out, I believe everybody would benefit from figuring this out, because nobody wants to suffer the risk of getting back from a trip in which there was a serious incident and finding out your DVR hiccuped that one important video file.

It's a firmware(software) thing, your hardware is good.

We recently discovered there is a glitch in the Zoran CPU code that addresses exFAT file system behavior. It's being worked on this week. I originally thought it was only a problem with the new X2, but seems to affect the G as well.

The new exFAT firmware code is nearly ready. It will be quickly tested on the Panorama X2 first, and should follow to the G soon after that.

This should fix fix all cards 32GB, 64GB, 128GB etc.

We think this intermittent write problem was amplified in newer G firmware 1.00.06 & 1.00.07. The G's I shipped before Oct 31 with 1.00.05 wrote files beautifully. (but had a GPS logging issue that was fixed in the two newer firmwares)

Until the new firmware comes, I recommend formatting your cards FAT32. (even the 32GB card)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ormatter-tool-utility-how-to.3693/#post-42786

If you could hang in there we'll make things right ASAP. The combination issues have been identified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction to original post:

The intermittent broken MP4 problem some are experiencing is only in G firmware 1.00.06 & 1.00.07.

G firmware 1.00.05 has no problem with recording files in exFAT or FAT32 file system when SD card formatted inside the DashCam.

The only problem with FW 1.00.05 is small GPS logging issue. (And GUI setup menu colors)

The best of both will be fixed in a new firmware.

Just an FYI... Continued my test today to confirm anomalies. Used the 64G Transcend this time reformatted to Fat32 with the SmartDisk_FAT32_tool, then reformatted in the SG before the trip. Took a 55 minute (each way) drive. Stopped in a cafe, took the card out put the card in my laptop Registrator viewer wouldn't speed up, and after deleting the last file of the series it performed fine. Put card back in, continue with my trip and upon return, the entire return segment played fine; since I had deleted the last bad file, both segments (outbound trip & return trip) played fine. Anomaly is confirmed. I'm waiting on the new firmware. In the meanwhile --if this is the only issue-- I can deal with it temporarily. I can recommend this DVR with the 3rd party viewer as a reasonably dependable solution.

PS -- a For What Its Worth -- I work with ip-based surveillance video systems w/ NVR IPVMS and I get to adjust the customers' frame rate (and other things) in order to conserve bandwidth. As for this Street Guardian, I do not absolutely need 30fps. If I had a choice, and could reduce frame rate (say 15fps?) to (1) conserve storage space and (2) reduce errors, that "would be nice". But don't make that an option if it means screwing something else up!

Thanks for listening.

v/r, MP

New Panorama G exFAT Beta Firmware is being tested as of tonight. Stand by for results.
JVyozF9l.png

I seem to be also getting bad files as well. I have had the camera for a little over a week now and it has worked well. Plugged in the card just now and out of the 200 files only about 10 are readable now. The readable ones are only in the middle of the batch. So I have access to yesterdays files but todays and the ones previous to yesterdays all do not work. Is this the same issue as the OP?

I assume I should reformat the card in the G and possibly wait for the new firmware?

I have the Lexar SDXC Platinum II 64gb as it was the recommended brand for the G.

I installed the new firmware and also formatted the card with the G and everything seems to be in working order at this point.

I frequently check the recordings every couple of days, everything seemed okay prior to this issue. It seems like the problem occurred after the card ran out of space and it was overwriting the files.

It's probably still worth checking your card out with that software just to be sure as the exFAT bug was more like 1 out of every few hundred files would be bad - nowhere near the frequency you got there unless the filesystem on the card was totally corrupted which the format has solved.

It's always worth running h2testw on any new cards just to make sure they do work and aren't faulty or fakes which lie about their size.

So I took the SD card out and tried to view the files just now. This will be the 2nd time I have checked it since the firmware update, the first time had no problems. There are quite a few files that are corrupt. It seems like its only files that were recorded yesterday that are corrupted. Files from before are okay and files from today are ok.

Is there a program to check the SD card for problems that would work on a mac? I don't have quick access to a PC to test. I want to isolate the problem to see if its the SD or the software.

Also, I am simply just using VLC to view the files, not sure if that makes a difference.

I have a kingston 32gb SDHC, class 4 memory card. I will try to use this card the next couple of days and see if it has the same issue.

It is currently not hardwired to the car, simply using the car charger at this point.

Not sure about Mac, make sure you format the SD card in the cam though. I've had quite a few beta testers confirm all is good so maybe something else is going on.

Class 4 is too slow. Need 10

Last edited:
@Pier28, hi Jon, I'm experiencing the corrupt file problem on my Panorama G, albeit quite infrequently, using 1.00.07. on 32Gb Transend cards
Is the Beta firmware set for release soon, or possibly you could let me have a copy of the Beta ?

Steve

Back