Street Guardian, Viofo, APEMAN, Rexing, Which Company Came First?

A 1TB MicroSD card could hold ~105 hours of video. So 4 Days. Enough for a Friday to Monday park over. Storage isn't the issue, so long as the camera supports the size.
Your maths is a bit optimistic for high quality video, and your multiplication of 21 hours by 4 to get ~105 hours is very optimistic, but if we go for the 105 hours for normal mode on the A129 Duo, then we can have 420 hours in low bitrate mode, which if you also have several hours of normal recording each day still gives you a full week of video on the card, which for many drivers would be highly desirable - when someone complains about your driving, you will still have the evidence. For the A129 Pro, it is much more important since on that the low bitrate is 20x the recording time instead of just 4, while still maintaining the high image quality.
Low Bitrate does has one major disadvantage. It's meant for slow moving cars. There was a video on here where the person street parked, and a truck flying by ripped off his mirror and hit the car. Unfortunately, due to the speed and low bitrate recording, it was hard to read plates. Some Sleuthing managed to probably uncover the actual plate, but it was super difficult to read from the video.
It is true that low bitrate is not so good if there is a lot of movement in the image, it is better to park in a car park; but as long as it is only the other vehicles that are moving and not your car, and you haven't parked in front of one of those huge LED billboards with a constantly moving image, then it does work.

If that video is the one I think you are talking about then the issue with reading the plate was due to motion blur, not low bitrate, but maybe you could provide a link so that I can check... In my experience the low bitrate almost always provides a decent image quality for reading plates and for seeing what happened; it is not movie quality, but is perfectly adequate.

Your maths is a bit optimistic for high quality video, and your multiplication of 21 hours by 4 to get ~105 hours is very optimistic, but if we go for the 105 hours for normal mode on the A129 Duo, then we can have 420 hours in low bitrate mode, which if you also have several hours of normal recording each day still gives you a full week of video on the card, which for many drivers would be highly desirable - when someone complains about your driving, you will still have the evidence. For the A129 Pro, it is much more important since on that the low bitrate is 20x the recording time instead of just 4, while still maintaining the high image quality.

1.2GB = 5 Minute Video Clip for Front + Rear Video. 256GB card can hold 213 x 5 Minute (Front + Rear) clips. That is 1065 Minutes. 1065 / 60 = 17.75 hours. Woops NOT 21 Hours. Damn hit a wrong key on calculator! Multiple that by 4 = 71 Hours NOT 105. Yes I botched the math.

71 Hours = ~ 3 Days (72 hours). Friday / Saturday / Sunday.

It is true that low bitrate is not so good if there is a lot of movement in the image, it is better to park in a car park; but as long as it is only the other vehicles that are moving and not your car, and you haven't parked in front of one of those huge LED billboards with a constantly moving image, then it does work.

If that video is the one I think you are talking about then the issue with reading the plate was due to motion blur, not low bitrate, but maybe you could provide a link so that I can check... In my experience the low bitrate almost always provides a decent image quality for reading plates and for seeing what happened; it is not movie quality, but is perfectly adequate.

Low Birate means less quality and greater compression. Notice the Pixelation in the Video. Motion Blur will be compounded by more compression. Especially in this instance (above). I would bet if the video was recording at normal rates, it would have been easier to discern. Of course, I sleuthed the hell out of things and helped the guy solve mystery.

Last edited:
Low Birate means less quality and greater compression. Notice the Pixelation in the Video. Motion Blur will be compounded by more compression. Especially in this instance (above). I would bet if the video was recording at normal rates, it would have been easier to discern. Of course, I sleuthed the hell out of things and helped the guy solve mystery.
That is a low framerate video, not a particularly low bitrate, and it is blurred by motion blur due to low light.
Also, it is not a Novatek processor like the Viofos, the compression is not particularly good for the bitrate it is using.

Back