Street Storm CVR-A7810-G (A7LA70) vs Mini 0806 (A7LA50) Daytime Comparison

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
OK I dusted off the Street Storm again, and this time ensured all the settings were the same for a new side by side! The firmware is now correct on the Street Storm too (the previous one was using the Pro firmware which has a different lens, although from these pics it makes no difference to daytime performance.)

Pricing:
Street Storm: The Street Storm is available in the Russian markets currently for around £110. The DODMT D99 version is around £123.
0806: The Mini 0806 is not yet released and I do not know at this time what the retail price will be.

Settings:
Both cameras have been configured as close as possible - as a quick overview:
Resolution: 2560x1080 30fps
Quality: Super Fine (Highest Bitrate)
AE Metering Mode: Center
Dewarp: Disabled
Dewarp is configurable on the Street Storm and for these comparisons it is disabled - it cannot be changed on the 0806.

Firmware Versions:
The latest firmwares for each camera were used - these are as follows at time of writing:
Street Storm: SSA7810G.141110.V3.5
Mini 0806: 141128

Bitrate (2560x1080):
Street Storm:
Average 28Mbps, Peak 30Mbps
upload_2014-12-2_14-14-3.png

0806: Average 18.5Mbps, Peak 23.5Mbps
upload_2014-12-2_14-15-1.png

Video:

Here's a side by side video of the two - Street Storm at the top and Mini 0806 at the bottom:

Pictures:
: 0806
Bottom: Street Storm

You can see from the screenshots below that the Street Storm has a wider lens and is just ever so slightly sharper than the 0806 I have and this is highly likely due to manufacturing tolerances (they're both pretty sharp!).

The Street Storm also shows higher contrast in the images captured although uses more disk space - at the average figures here it will use 35% more space for video than the 0806 but if you want to maximise detail captured then this is a trade off you will happily make.

It's good that even with the wider lens it still gives you really sharp images like the 0806.

Last edited:
The SS is a bit overexposed in a lot of the images but I don't see much else to complain about and maybe that can be adjusted.

I prefer the SS colours, although that may be partly that the Mini 0806 hasn't been optimised for that lens yet.

How about an SS against 0806 comparison with the bitrate on the Mini turned up to the same bitrate as the SS - would you expect it to make much difference?

I don't know if the 0806 would be reliable at those bitrates - I was surprised when I saw how high the SS was actually running on factory firmware and it's definitely overkill. There wouldn't be a massive difference in the picture quality either there. @Mtz will have a field day when he sees these bitrates :)

You can adjust the exposure on the camera but these are just at the defaults there - I think they've turned contrast and colour up a bit to maximise details etc.

I've just seen a price of the DODMT D99 version of this camera and it's £123 in Russia.

The Street Storm RRP is slightly less at £110.

Reactions: Mtz
Looking at this the SS is using an 8 layer Carl Zeiss lens - that's probably why it's such high quality (whether it's just a marketing claim is another matter but either way it's decent!)

HTB1WgZhGXXXXXajXXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

It's not a huge world apart from the 5010 in the 0806 - I wonder how big the price differential is though. I'm wondering now if that lens would work on my X2 :D

Last edited:
Looking at this the SS is using an 8 layer Carl Zeiss lens - that's probably why it's such high quality:...
Now I'm glad I didn't pick out any lens faults like I did with the G90! You don't really need an 18Mpixel capable lens for a sub 4K sensor, though maybe the colour advantage over the 0806 comes from better lens coatings, as we saw with the 0806 lens having a colour advantage over the 0805 lens...

Interestingly SS have swapped this lens out for a new one in their Pro model which performs better again - no idea what that actually is though but it's an F1.8.

I don't know how much of the above is marketing spiel - the 18M is suspect as it's a 4Mpixel sensor

Interestingly SS have swapped this lens out for a new one in their Pro model which performs better again - no idea what that actually is though but it's an F1.8.

I don't know how much of the above is marketing spiel - the 18M is suspect as it's a 4Mpixel sensor

Mostly marketing. Bigger numbers usually suggest better lens quality. Is there a measurement standard ( clarity, distortion, color accuracy, FOV quality, etc)?

Mostly marketing. Bigger numbers usually suggest better lens quality. Is there a measurement standard ( clarity, distortion, color accuracy, FOV quality, etc)?
I assume that the 18MP is a measure of resolution, it means the lens is capable of resolving 18 million separate pixels. Put a 4MP lens on a 4MP sensor and you will still get 4 million separate pixels but they may be partly blurred into each other rather than sharply separated, especially in the corners of the image, so a better quality lens will give a better image. Put a VGA quality lens on the same sensor and point it at a resolution chart and you wont be able to see the lines as separate lines even if there are several pixels per line.

There are all sorts of things that can be poor about lenses though, such as the false colours seen on the G90 lens and the anti-reflection coatings that can improve contrast and saturation - one measurement can't define the quality.

Here's a side by side video of the two - Street Storm at the top and Mini 0806 at the bottom:

SS is available only in Russia?

Sunty A99 is the same camera with a different name?

Is there a camera with the same specifications on the market?

Does this site have the latest streetstorm firmware for the A810-G please ?

Back