Streetwize SWREC4

TheRookie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
AllWinner A10 Mirror, Aiptel GS 372 (Papago), Cowon AW1
Bought today this camera from Argos for a princely sum of 45 GBP.

This turned out to be the crappiest (is that a word?) camera I ever came across.
It is advertised as 1080p HD camera but the real resolution is 1440x1080p, not 1920x1080p as I expected it to be. Even then I am not so sure as the manual says this is "true HD 720p camera", so it might be interpolated.

The video files are fairly large, at 1920x1080p resolution 3 minutes take about 500MBytes, which is a lot.
The video is recorded as 1920x1080p @ 24fps, 25Mbps AVI.

There are three major problems (for me) with this camera:
1. It doesn't turn off screen, so I can't really use it as a mirror. There is a setting to turn it off (confusingly, it is called Brightness) but the least amount of time there is 1 minute, which is unacceptable. However, even when this option is enabled, the camera might or might not turn the screen off; it is completely random and I can't see a pattern in its behaviour.
2. The files sometimes corrupted. It looks like Class10 cards (I've tried Kingston and Sandisk 32GB; both Class10) aren't compatible with it.
3. The camera supposed to turn on with ignition except sometimes it doesn't. Even worse, it is sometimes refuses to turn itself off when ignition is turned off and carries on until battery dies.

Looks like I shall ready myself for another trip to Argos to bring it back.

BTW, is anybody here interested in videos from this camera? I didn't mount it in my car but can do it solely for the purpose of review.

from the specs you've mentioned it's likely a Novatek 96220 chipset, native 720p but does some upscaled resolutions, very average results

Back