Subaru Owners with the SG9663DC? Question on Battery Discharge and Settings for Parking Mode

DepthCharge

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is actually a multi-part question. I have a Subaru Ascent and so far the vehicle has had a whole range of issues related to the battery draining. There are complaints about the battery draining all over the internet, a dedicated Facebook group and forum on this battery draining issue. I haven't had any issues with the SG9663DC so far. It's actually been a great product and I wish I got this instead of a Blackvue for my other vehicle.

The dealership finally returned the vehicle and the battery seems to be holding up fine for the past 8 weeks, although I have turned my cut-off voltage threshold on the dedicated hardwire/parking kit to 12.4V. This obviously does not allow more than 1 minute of parking mode recording before the threshold is reached and the camera turns off.

This is my current set-up:

Firmware version v1.39
Parking recording frame rate at 5fps.
Shutdown Timer - 12 hours
Cut-off voltage - 12.4V

First question:

Any Subaru owners though with the SG9663DC and hardwire kit running issues with the battery draining? Or having issues starting the car again with the cut-off at 12.2V? I don't want to deep cycle the battery since my commute is relatively short so I don't know if I am fully charging the battery again after recording all night.

Second question:

Are there any other settings that people would recommend?

Third question:

Has the Samsung Evo cards been tested on the SG9663DC? I've been using a Transcend 633x 128gb and have not had issues with recording.

Fourth question:

Is the dashcam compatible with any battery packs?

Thanks in advance.

12.2v should still be safe

Samsung Evo cards are fine

Will work with the Cellink Neo battery packs if you want to bypass any possible issues with your vehicle battery and charging system, just need the 3 wire cable for the Cellink to connect it all up, @BlackboxMyCar sells those and would be able to help you out

I got and hardwired the SG9663DCPRO on my 2017 Subaru Forester for almost a week now and it is running flawlessly since day 1. I need to drive and have to stop at different locations everyday. Changing between normal recording and parking mode has never a problem.
The cam has the latest firmware.
Parking recording frame rate at 30fps.
The cam came with a 128gb card is good to record for about 3 days for my driving time and distance.
The only regret is not having ordered the cam comes with a 256gb card.
Anyway, so far very happy with the SG9663DCPRO and their customer services.

Last edited:
you can always get one from the place you got the cam from or even a 400gb card. just dont get scammed on getting a fake card.

you can always get one from the place you got the cam from or even a 400gb card. just dont get scammed on getting a fake card.
Is there any way to differentiate fake card from their package ?
Thanks

I got and hardwired the SG9663DCPRO on my 2017 Subaru Forester for almost a week now and it is running flawlessly since day 1. I need to drive and have to stop at different locations everyday. Changing between normal recording and parking mode has never a problem.
The cam came with a 128gb card is good to record for about 3 days for my driving time and distance.

How much of a difference does 30fps make over 5fps in real-world applications?

Most important in my book, there are no audio as that would just sound terrible, 5FPS time lapse probably generate around 25 MB files for every minute, so room for much more if you look at it that way.
I am personally going to go with low bitrate 1080/30 recording as the places i park dont see high speeds, so the low bitrate will be fine.

I am of course going to keep a eye on things when i get there, better safe than sorry.

12.2v should still be safe

Samsung Evo cards are fine

Will work with the Cellink Neo battery packs if you want to bypass any possible issues with your vehicle battery and charging system, just need the 3 wire cable for the Cellink to connect it all up, @BlackboxMyCar sells those and would be able to help you out

If I use the Cellink Neo battery pack, will the dashcam recognize that it's being hardwired and still have those parking mode options in the menu?

Which fuses are recommended to tap into?

Do you remember which fuses you tapped into for your hardwire set-up?

If I use the Cellink Neo battery pack, will the dashcam recognize that it's being hardwired and still have those parking mode options in the menu?
yes, the three wire hardwire kit connects to the output of the Neo and will switch modes accordingly

Which fuses are recommended to tap into?
that will be vehicle specific, keep away from anything ECU controlled or safety systems related though

Sorry for late reply :
the hardwire kit with the yellow battery wire connected with Door Lock fuse 15A and the red ACC wire with Accessory power outlet 20A.

What fuse type did you get with the HW kit?

Fingers crossed i will be taking delivery of my Ascent on Wednesday. This is a huge help lol

Last edited:
This is actually a multi-part question. I have a Subaru Ascent and so far the vehicle has had a whole range of issues related to the battery draining. There are complaints about the battery draining all over the internet, a dedicated Facebook group and forum on this battery draining issue. I haven't had any issues with the SG9663DC so far. It's actually been a great product and I wish I got this instead of a Blackvue for my other vehicle.

The dealership finally returned the vehicle and the battery seems to be holding up fine for the past 8 weeks, although I have turned my cut-off voltage threshold on the dedicated hardwire/parking kit to 12.4V. This obviously does not allow more than 1 minute of parking mode recording before the threshold is reached and the camera turns off.

This is my current set-up:

Firmware version v1.39
Parking recording frame rate at 5fps.
Cut-off voltage - 12.4V

First question:

Any Subaru owners though with the SG9663DC and hardwire kit running issues with the battery draining? Or having issues starting the car again with the cut-off at 12.2V? I don't want to deep cycle the battery since my commute is relatively short so I don't know if I am fully charging the battery again after recording all night.

Second question:

Are there any other settings that people would recommend?

Third question:

Has the Samsung Evo cards been tested on the SG9663DC? I've been using a Transcend 633x 128gb and have not had issues with recording.

Fourth question:

Is the dashcam compatible with any battery packs?

Thanks in advance.
Can you lin some pics, please? I'm curious about your placement and if it interferes with eyesight

Last edited:
The eyesight has never had a problem since the Cam installed and all the features of eyesight behave the same as before and as it should.
BTW, I really love the eyesight of the Forester. The Forester is almost 3 years old with 76000 km on it and never has battery drainage issue with the parking setting on the cam.

Attachments

• 73890.jpg
    73890.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 32070.jpg
    32070.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 17
I have a 2016 Forester and yes I do notice the battery does take a hit, even when driving. I use a Uniden R3 radar detector and have an Odyssey odyssey pc1400-25 (AGM battery) and use the 20-amp portable charger (OBC-20A) and I charge the battery every night. I do notice that the battery is always around 50% charge though, even after it has completed the charging cycles. This suggests that the parasitic load (I turn off my dashcam in my driveway) on my car pulls enough energy from my battery after it has finished charging/maintaining to drop it down to that 50% or 3 bar level.

Never mind, I spoke with Odyssey technical support just now. They said that 3 bar level is not indicative of the actual voltage of the battery after it has finished a charge cycle.

Last edited:
Back